• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My "quality issues"

jrbessette

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Let me start by saying that this truck is amazing. I was quick to reserve and waited well over a year (like most Lightning owners) to get my truck. I am also aware as an early adopter that there will be some issues that get ironed out in future revs. That said, as an engineer I am always interested in data to help development teams and early adopters improve things. Here is my current list, with some pictures.

There was a rattling noise when using the AC that was bugging me on my first weekend of ownership. I was in the woods camping with my family and didn't want to track down a dealer, so I started poking around. I found two coolant line bracket bolts that were not fastened, it looks like at one time they were installed in the production process, but were removed for some reason and never put back together correctly. I fastened them and the rattling went away.

Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" IMG_2912

Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" IMG_2913

I had an "almost" empty battery\HVAC coolant tank, Fortunately a planned stop at a dealer with a fast charger allowed the service folks to come out and fill it up for me. It has held steady since, so I suspect it was never filled completely at the factory, and is hopefully not leaking.
Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" IMG_2914

Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" IMG_2949

I have had two issues with the infotainment screen. One time there was a loud "pop" over the speakers, the screen went black, then reset while driving. The other time when I got in the truck and started it, the screen was black. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/boooo-screen-dead.11777/. There is evidence that both infotainment screen issues are related to updates of some sorts.

Anyway, still love the truck and hopefully things get better.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I had an "almost" empty battery\HVAC coolant tank,
same here. Checked it the day I purchased only out of curiosity. Not low enough to have needed to refill just yet, but far closer to “min” than seems proper for a truck being Delivered

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Mine is at the “Min” line as well. My expectation was that it would be at the “Max“ line when cold. How are the MMEs set up?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine is at the “Min” line as well. My expectation was that it would be at the “Max“ line when cold. How are the MMEs set up?
Just the opposite. Coolant expands as it heats up. I’d expect to see closer to the Min mark when cold with the level rising as it heats up.

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
OP
OP
jrbessette

jrbessette

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
FWIW. I’m up to at least 5 black screens requiring a “vol-“ and “next” reset.

most the time it’s just black. The other day the sound was only coming out of the right side speakers… another time the volume dial no longer worked.

these aren’t “serious” issues, but certainly have me wondering what sort of QC the sync team is implementing.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Had the B&O in my 2021 and the Unleashed in my 2022. There’s a noticeable improvement. But the unleashed is merely “acceptable” and nothing fantastic. The regular B&O was underwhelming

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Let me start by saying that this truck is amazing. I was quick to reserve and waited well over a year (like most Lightning owners) to get my truck. I am also aware as an early adopter that there will be some issues that get ironed out in future revs. That said, as an engineer I am always interested in data to help development teams and early adopters improve things. Here is my current list, with some pictures.

There was a rattling noise when using the AC that was bugging me on my first weekend of ownership. I was in the woods camping with my family and didn't want to track down a dealer, so I started poking around. I found two coolant line bracket bolts that were not fastened, it looks like at one time they were installed in the production process, but were removed for some reason and never put back together correctly. I fastened them and the rattling went away.

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

I had an "almost" empty battery\HVAC coolant tank, Fortunately a planned stop at a dealer with a fast charger allowed the service folks to come out and fill it up for me. It has held steady since, so I suspect it was never filled completely at the factory, and is hopefully not leaking.
IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

I have had two issues with the infotainment screen. One time there was a loud "pop" over the speakers, the screen went black, then reset while driving. The other time when I got in the truck and started it, the screen was black. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/boooo-screen-dead.11777/. There is evidence that both infotainment screen issues are related to updates of some sorts.

Anyway, still love the truck and hopefully things get better.
Hi, Justin. Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd like to look into these quality concerns for you. Thank you!

Sponsored

Rekoil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Carbon Lariat ER
Occupation
Basket Weaving
The B&O just plain sucks. I heard good things about the Unleashed but have never personally listened to it.
Rod, I also at first thought it was absolute crap. B&O on the ER lariat.

My buddy (studio sound guy)tinkered with the sound settings when he was a passenger. It now sounds MUCH better than it did. Still not mind blowing but totally acceptable, at least to me? YMMV

First, he put it in "surround" mode, took the base up a bit, the mids up a bit less, than the highs. Listen to all sorts of music and talk, all sounds pretty good!
Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" 722E4012-2B36-4D53-BD50-79C6B6E1E0EB
Ford F-150 Lightning My "quality issues" 27861FBF-BAC8-48A8-A30C-83EAF7512281

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Rod, I also at first thought it was absolute crap. B&O on the ER lariat.

My buddy (studio sound guy)tinkered with the sound settings when he was a passenger. It now sounds MUCH better than it did. Still not mind blowing but totally acceptable, at least to me? YMMV

First, he put it in "surround" mode, took the base up a bit, the mids up a bit less, than the highs. Listen to all sorts of music and talk, all sounds pretty good!
722E4012-2B36-4D53-BD50-79C6B6E1E0EB.jpeg
27861FBF-BAC8-48A8-A30C-83EAF7512281.jpeg
Nice! I’ll give these setting a shot!
Sponsored