• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Need help trying to figure out how I can use my Lightning off grid.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
I'm on an Outback based system so I have no idea if your setup would work the same, but I have both a gas genset (Honda 6500iu) and my truck. I have a setting that I need to toggle in my Outback software to tell the inverter which is providing power (only one can be charging the batteries at a time, they charge at different rates). The truck (for reasons related to my setup, not the truck) charges at a lower rate and so I leave it running all day sometimes. We're working with Outback to see about upping that rate off the truck, but Outback are pretty staid and they don't move fast.

My suggestion would be to just use the 110V outlet in the truck as a generator input to your inverter and consider it more of a trickle charger to augment whatever you've got working now. Like most folks have already said without the 240V bed outlet you're unlikely to do any better without major surgery to the truck. Somebody posted a picture the other day of a dual 120V to 240V pigtail thing that seemed ... dicey ... to me, but I'm not an electrician.
I’ve already explored the 120-240 y adapter. All of the trucks outlets are on the same circuit. It wouldn’t work. I’m going to explore the 120v idea a bit more. I appreciate the input.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Gee I always thought the grid they were talking about was the electrical grid that can have black outs etc.

I say screw all this hair splitting. I applaud your work at reducing your dependence on local commercial electrical power.

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
I’ve already explored the 120-240 y adapter. All of the trucks outlets are on the same circuit. It wouldn’t work. I’m going to explore the 120v idea a bit more. I appreciate the input.
No problem, one thing I've noticed about using the truck's Pro Power for long time frames is that there's a lot you probably want to turn off that you might not think about: auto-headlights, rain sensing wipers, climate control. No point in leaving those running.

@Ford Motor CompanyI think I've seen this mentioned, but a Pro Power pre-set that shuts all that down auto-magically would be lovely. A "Turn off non-essential loads" toggle perhaps?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No problem, one thing I've noticed about using the truck's Pro Power for long time frames is that there's a lot you probably want to turn off that you might not think about: auto-headlights, rain sensing wipers, climate control. No point in leaving those running.

@Ford Motor CompanyI think I've seen this mentioned, but a Pro Power pre-set that shuts all that down auto-magically would be lovely. A "Turn off non-essential loads" toggle perhaps?
That would be an awesome setting. @Ford Motor Company give this a thought!!!

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I've been off grid for 20 years, but today I learned that I've been living a lie!

Are roads a part of the grid as well? I drive on public roads too, don't pave my own or anything, just drive around. How about the postal service? I have a mailbox out at the road. Supermarkets? I don't grow 100% of my own food. Please @Toby57 let us know what you consider the correct parameters for us to say we "live off-grid".
You don't produce your own food? Do you steal it? If someone else grows it, you are on the grid.
If you are not on the electrical grid, that is impressive. But it is not off the grid. It is off the electrical grid not living off grid.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You don't produce your own food? Do you steal it? If someone else grows it, you are on the grid.
If you are not on the electrical grid, that is impressive. But it is not off the grid. It is off the electrical grid not living off grid.
Believe it or not there’s a step between producing your own things and stealing. It’s called purchasing or bartering. I barter or purchase food.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not good enough! If you want to say that you live off grid then you have to walk into the forest naked, as a toddler, without the benefits of an education, modern medicine, etc. No tools for you! Forge your own steel from ore you dug up from your own mine, which (since you don't have steel) I guess you dug with your bare hands.

Fun as this has been you'll have to excuse me if I just ignore you for the troll you obviously are @Toby57

Believe it or not there’s a step between producing your own things and stealing. It’s called purchasing or bartering. I barter or purchase food.
Not off grid enough for @Toby57! When you walk into the proverbial forest grid you aren't even allowed to take seeds!

Sponsored

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This reminds me of glamping vs camping ...

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not sure if you, or anyone else here has the answer to this question..
If I’m charging my solar batteries at let’s say 2kw. If I draw 3.5kw from my solar batteries while charging them, what risks do I run into?
The way my system is set up when I'm using a generator (Honda or Lightning) to charge my batteries all house loads draw from the generator, not the batteries. So if I have loads that exceed the capacity of the generator bad things happen, i.e. the inverter shuts down the house. The surplus that the generator produces, above and beyond the house load is what goes into my batteries.

My system has been set up that way for a long time, and there may be better ways now. I choose not to tinker too much with it all because it works well for me and I understand it.

[edit] Hmmm, actually that's true for the Honda genset, but the way the truck connects is a bit different. The truck is always putting 2.5kW into the batteries regardless of load. So if the house load is 1.5kW then the draw on the truck is 4kW. If the house load is 0 then the draw on the truck is 2.5kW. We're talking to Outback to try and figure out the settings to get that base draw from the truck higher than 2.5kW.

Last edited:

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
The way my system is set up when I'm using a generator (Honda or Lightning) to charge my batteries all house loads draw from the generator, not the batteries. So if I have loads that exceed the capacity of the generator bad things happen, i.e. the inverter shuts down the house. The surplus that the generator produces, above and beyond the house load is what goes into my batteries.

My system has been set up that way for a long time, and there may be better ways now. I choose not to tinker too much with it all because it works well for me and I understand it.

[edit] Hmmm, actually that's true for the Honda genset, but the way the truck connects is a bit different. The truck is always putting 2.5kW into the batteries regardless of load. So if the house load is 1.5kW then the draw on the truck is 4kW. If the house load is 0 then the draw on the truck is 2.5kW. We're talking to Outback to try and figure out the settings to get that base draw from the truck higher than 2.5kW.
Generator? Honda genset? What does that run on? A petroleum product maybe.
Yes, we have very different ideas on what off grid is.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Generator? Honda genset? What does that run on? A petroleum product maybe.
Yes, we have very different ideas on what off grid is.
I don’t think you have ANY idea what off the grid is. I think you’re just making stuff up as you go to be honest. Being off the grid in the broadest term means not having grid tied systems. The grid meaning government services such as plumping, electrical, water, trash and sewage. It doesn’t mean you can’t buy fuel from a gas station, or groceries from Walmart, or pay a private internet provider to stay connected to the outside world. Being off grid does not mean being a hermit. You’re sincerely ignorant to think that and project your ignorance on others as gospel. You’re telling people who live off grid what off grid means. Do you not see how backwards that is?

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Laughable. If you are on the internet, you are not off the grid.
Off-grid means different things to different people. Many consider a lack of utility hookups (electric, water, natural gas) to constitute being off-grid. Only a hermit lives today without the internet.
Sponsored