• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased

OP
OP
BIGBIGSURGE

BIGBIGSURGE

First Name
SERGIO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2021 Mach-E GT, ioniq
Show me anything obnoxious in anything I said. Just participating in a conversation. You lowered the conversation to disagreeable pal.
😂 I’m. Not your pal. You are obnoxious and continue to be so. Hey smart guy, all of the data provided, were they on a Lightning? Or an ICE? It’s obnoxious to tell me about something you have no experience with, or actual data to support.
run along, we are done.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
😂 I’m. Not your pal. You are obnoxious and continue to be so. Hey smart guy, all of the data provided, were they on a Lightning? Or an ICE? It’s obnoxious to tell me about something you have no experience with, or actual data to support.
run along, we are done.
and there we have it. you just won the internet. have a wonderful life.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I’m going to lose 50 lbs and come back with range results before and after:ROFLMAO:
Hey that’s no joke! I told my dog that he has a to lose a couple, so no more treats, and I’ll do the same so we can pack in more with a new camper I want to buy. 😂

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Look what just arrived.... interesting "SAVES GAS" and "IMPROVES MILEAGE UP TO 10%" statements... I wonder if those are 'guarantees'? Of course, though, it does say 'up to...', which is very, very subjective, if any real meaning at all. We'll 'see'....

It DOES look like exactly what I wanted for the bed - easy access from the FRONT, as well as the rear, and can be easily and totally REMOVED, if needed - weighs maybe 60 lbs - and folds up nicely, if so.

...gives me something to ponder while I 'wait' for the truck to arrive : /
Ford F-150 Lightning New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased IMG_4419
Ford F-150 Lightning New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased IMG_4420
Ford F-150 Lightning New tonneau bed cover installed, range has increased IMG_4421

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Anyone can promise you anything……🤥

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Look what just arrived.... interesting "SAVES GAS" and "IMPROVES MILEAGE UP TO 10%" statements... I wonder if those are 'guarantees'? Of course, though, it does say 'up to...', which is very, very subjective, if any real meaning at all. We'll 'see'....
IMG_4419.jpg
Guarantee? "Up to" means it can improve mileage 0.0001% and still qualify.

Here's what the website says:

Studies show the average truck owner drives 18,000 miles per year. At 15mpg that comes to 1,200 gallons of gas. At a minimum 10% savings you would save around an estimated 120 gallons a year. You can see why it would not take too many months to have your new tonneau cover pay for itself.

*Results are based on an estimated tonneau price of $600.00 and rounded to the nearest whole number. Savings may vary and are not guaranteed.

Of course no studies are shown on the site.

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Guarantee? "Up to" means it can improve mileage 0.0001% and still qualify.

Here's what the website says:

Studies show the average truck owner drives 18,000 miles per year. At 15mpg that comes to 1,200 gallons of gas. At a minimum 10% savings you would save around an estimated 120 gallons a year. You can see why it would not take too many months to have your new tonneau cover pay for itself.

*Results are based on an estimated tonneau price of $600.00 and rounded to the nearest whole number. Savings may vary and are not guaranteed.

Of course no studies are shown on the site.

ha the fine print lol

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Good question. My untested opinion is probably not much given its my understanding that a considerable amount of the aerodynamic drag on pickup (and other) trucks is caused by the turbulence and associated negative pressure created behind the tailgate, not in the bed.

Are we going to just ignore this video showed that turning the F150 into a hatchback reduced drag by 15%? Its ugly, but that is a huge improvement. Do any companies sell a shell like that?

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

meazer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
Occupation
Security
Lets be honest if tonneau covers in anyway improved gas mileage all manufacturers would include them as STANDARD so that they could raise their corporate cafe

Last edited:

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Lets be honest if tonneau covers in anyway improved gas mileage all manufacturers would include them as STANDARD so that they could raise their corporate cafe
Well they could lower all the trucks and on increase efficiency, but their the whole desirability factor that buyers aren't in love with race truck look.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
which is what mythbusters and consumer reports did and both found a very slight decrease in mileage under controlled conditions with a cover added. The only way they saw added mileage was with a replacement mesh tailgate (better than with the tailgate totally removed). Nothing logical could explain this result, but it is scientific fact.
I dont have a dog in this fight and don't really care. However being there has not been research on the Lightnings aero properties with or with out cover I believe it be more of an assertion not a scientific fact. There is ample anecdotal statistics which favor an increase and none that I have seen that support the assertion made by Mythbusters that it decreases mileage.
To each his own and if you think you get better mileage go for it. I honestly don't think it does anything observable in mileage. It's kind of like changing a glove box light bulb to led to lower power usage. The effect will not be observable.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I have no clue about tonneau covers, but camper shells definitely reduce wind drag, this is especially noticeable when towing RVs, and any trailer in general.
The TFL Truck guys just found that the camper shell they installed on their Lightning dramatically cut their range and reduced miles per wh on their trip to Alaska. As did switching to real truck tires.

The internet is full of studies that say that Camper shells reduce gas mileage. Example here.
https://howtruck.com/do-camper-shells-improve-gas-mileage/

From the article: "Camper shells do not improve gas mileage. Camper shells lower your mileage due to the extreme weight that is added. Some camper shells can be as heavy as a few hundred pounds, and adding weight to your pickup truck is never good. For every 100 pounds that you add to your vehicle, it lowers your mileage by about 2 to 3%. Add a couple of hundred pounds, and you will be looking at a 10% lower fuel economy for the heavy shells. Camper Shells weigh between 80 to 200 pounds. The weight of your camper shell will depend on your truck’s payload capacity and size."
Sponsored