• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Obtaining copy of data collected and uploaded by Lightning

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am mostly interested in transparency and hoping that would help us in long run. If we know exactly what data is collected and whom it is shared with, that alone may help in reducing the chance of abuse down the road. If any of you have or know how to get it from Ford on regular bases please do share. What data is shared with whom may be more tricky to get and it can be changed at any time however what is collected may be more accessible. If any of you are tech savvy enough to get it from the truck or Fordpass app, please share. Even if it is raw data and incomprehensible, I am interested in getting a copy, in case decoding it becomes possible down the road.

I would be interested in experimenting to see for example turning off the location under connectivity actually stops location sharing or the setting is just there to make me feel better by keeping me out of the loop. I understand many of you don’t share my privacy concerns but if you do have any knowledge that can help those that do, please share anyway.

p.s. Please dumb it down a bit if you are explaining the network and communication processes.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also if there are any lawyers in the house, here is a question: if there are any damages inflicted to owners by the data collected whether due to security breach on Ford network or one of their partners (dealers, ……) or by Ford selling or sharing the data with an entity like Geico, can Ford still be sued despite the fact that owner has clicked on Accept button on Ford privacy notice?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'll be back in a bit and try to paste the 37 pages of Lawyer speak that my FordPass app just asked me to agree to. I'm sure your questions are answered in there.

While others have seen my post, no one else confirmed they got the EULA and had to accept or agree. Maybe a new version of the app on its way out, I'm not sure.

I'm sure all of the same can be found on your ford.com account.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I got it this morning.. didn't bother reading. What's the point? Don't agree, don't get to use the app. I am so desensitized to EULA's any more.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I got it this morning.. didn't bother reading. What's the point? Don't agree, don't get to use the app. I am so desensitized to EULA's any more.
Same here - agree 100%, but when I saw just how long it was I thought this has to be fun and did screen shots. There were 37 of them and I missed a few lines here and there.

It's just the sad world we've come to. To get the pleasure of spending $90K + dollars, to get to connect to and manipulate it remotely, to get to drive it - you sign your life away by clicking "I accept".

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
EULAs have become a ubiquitous form of "cover my ass" legalese that is more there as a deterrent or the first thing that gets presented when a user complains. In reality, they don't hold up well in court because they're blanket agreements that hold consumers hostage from products they have in many cases already purchased before they're even expected to understand and agree to such things. It's accepted knowledge that people don't actually read the EULA nor give them any true consideration in a legal sense when they're presented with the "agree to all this legal mumbo jumbo or you can't use the product you just bought".

I'm not an attorney, nor would I attempt to give actual legal advice -- that is the domain of a licensed attorney. But I am a software developer and I deal with EULAs on a daily basis. Both for products I use and EULAs generated for products I have a hand in creating. My personal belief on this is that EULAs need to be reigned in across all industries and perhaps regulated. Maybe even outlawed.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The insurance info sharing toggle had a lock on it back in the before times of 4.1.x. Now, I can't find it. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
That sharing info was for the programs where you agree with your insurance company to track your driving. State Farm does it with OnStar - you don't need the special dongle, just let it be captured from the telematics already built in. That switch was for the same thing for other companies, but not State Farm. Interesting that it is now gone.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll be back in a bit and try to paste the 37 pages of Lawyer speak that my FordPass app just asked me to agree to. I'm sure your questions are answered in there.

While others have seen my post, no one else confirmed they got the EULA and had to accept or agree. Maybe a new version of the app on its way out, I'm not sure.

I'm sure all of the same can be found on your ford.com account.
That is what triggered the thread. Reading just some of it was simply disturbing. I didn't click accept. But It looks like I won't be able to use free charging I already signed up for. As they update the truck and the App, I wonder how many more of the functionality that was included when we purchased the truck will be tied to the agreement. I understand Ford lawyers need to protect the company but we are on our own. Lobbyists are too strong to let any regulation pass that can protect us. Once the information is out, you can't get it back. Yesterday I had short 5 second spirited drive and activated collision warning (In control the whole time, not near any other vehicles and nowhere near collision). I turned off some of the connected settings but left diagnostic and a few others on. Whether we are applying for a Job at N.S.A. or trying to get a quote from Geico, clicking that accept button may have an impact on everyone of us individually or collectively.

Ford saying, we will try to be nice with your data is not enough. Even if current CEO is trying to be nice, the next one has to show that he/she is capable of increasing revenue. As soon as the first IT dude looking for a promotion mentions his idea on the new way the mountain of ones and zeros already harvested can be monetized, it will be accepted because by the time it hits the news, the dude has already collected his severance package and out to a new company. If we don't nip this in the bud early, it will be a bigger runaway train than it already is. People that can afford these expensive trucks are not that stupid and powerless. This is not an inevitable fact of life. It can be changed.
Sponsored

Last edited: