• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Logged into my Ford account online this AM to check something and was surprised to see this since I usually only charge to 80% and that is what it did last time I charged.

Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source Untitled-2

Then looked at FordPass and get this.

Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source Screenshot_20230930_082715_FordPass

So it appears that either the two use different data sources or use different algorithms (more likely) to calculate charge level . Interestingly, both still report the same mileage estimate.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Or maybe it's the same data source but interpreted differently.

I can get two different efficiency numbers in the truck between the instrument cluster and the center screen.

Reactions: GDN

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ford, right now at least, does not seem to have a fluid connection between all of their data and systems - you might have a completely different one for the phone App versus the truck's 'App', etc... why? who knows, but since this is a 'legacy' manufacturer, you can imagine that some of the original 'truck data', on 'old' operating systems and platforms, might come from one location, or several, and the phone App, might be from a different platform and OS, all together.
This is actually one of the most incredibly difficult 'connections' for large business, whether auto manufacturers, or anyone else.
I am an independent Insurance Agency owner, and can tell you that NOT A SINGLE LARGE BRAND-NAME INSURANCE COMPANY is NEARLY as technologically savy and 'connected' as you think. They are still 'piecing together' many different data sources, OS system differences, and platforms, to 'try' as best they can to give us all the feedback we expect. Some of these systems for us agents are even still 'old school' and, as an insurance customer, you would never accept these as 'up to date' technology, especially what shows on your phone. You've got microsoft OS in the legacy systems, and apple iOS on customer-facing Apps, and some companies now supporting CHROME for us google-chromebook agents/agencies, while others only support microsoft OS, etc. it's simply crazy. It's not what you think. The grass seems to always be 'greener' on the other side.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I see similar disparity, guessing the one with lower SOC is stale data element on the FORD.COM page, there are a couple location in MY VEHICLE that show projected range, one with inaccurate SOC and the other with only a symbolic representation of SOC

Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source 1696086345874
Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source 1696086361543

And FordPass shows the following:

Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source 1696086403358
Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass and Ford website appear to use different data source 1696086419769

OP
OP

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I do enjoy "playing" with the GOM and seeing how driving and terrain affect the status.

Just back from a trip to Lowes. As posted above, when I left I was at 227 mi. range estimate. After driving 22.5 actual miles, I was back to 227 after hitting a high of 232. Now back home and showing 203 (minus 24 miles from starting point) after driving 42 actual miles.

I know some make fun of the GOM. But as a software engineer, I appreciate the complexity of the problem. They need to account for driving styles, terrain, temperature, regeneration, and multiple other factors from past trips to then predict future performance. Do you base it on instantaneous performance? For the past hour? This trip? Life of the vehicle? Etc.. And no matter which you use, some will like it and others will not. Rhetorical questions. Not looking for an answer. I just find all these new challenges interesting.

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I do enjoy "playing" with the GOM and seeing how driving and terrain affect the status.

Just back from a trip to Lowes. As posted above, when I left I was at 227 mi. range estimate. After driving 22.5 actual miles, I was back to 227 after hitting a high of 232. Now back home and showing 203 (minus 24 miles from starting point) after driving 42 actual miles.

I know some make fun of the GOM. But as a software engineer, I appreciate the complexity of the problem. They need to account for driving styles, terrain, temperature, regeneration, and multiple other factors from past trips to then predict future performance. Do you base it on instantaneous performance? For the past hour? This trip? Life of the vehicle? Etc.. And no matter which you use, some will like it and others will not. Rhetorical questions. Not looking for an answer. I just find all these new challenges interesting.
I use miles per percent of charge as a benchmark as it’s pretty easy to calculate if you are driving ~10%-20% one way on the same route. I consistently average 3.14-3.24 miles per 1 percent of battery used. I can usually estimate within 1/4 mile where I’ll be with say 31.4-32.4 miles down the road. Same bridge, same curve, same mile marker, same driveway, same creek etc.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
... as a software engineer, I appreciate the complexity of the problem. They need to account for driving styles, terrain, temperature, regeneration, and multiple other factors from past trips to then predict future performance. Do you base it on instantaneous performance? For the past hour? This trip? Life of the vehicle? Etc.. And no matter which you use, some will like it and others will not. Rhetorical questions. Not looking for an answer. I just find all these new challenges interesting.
you are spot on: there is no 'way' to accurately or precisely 'predict' what batter usage you may encounter during any given drive - a computer does not have ESP.
Your gas engine vehicles do the same with their 'range' guesstimates - I'm sure Ford or no manufacturer is going to come to your aid when you run out of gas 'just because' the vehicle 'told' you that you were 'supposed' to be able to go farther... there's simply too many real-world variables, but, it does the best it can.

I pay attention way more to the m/kwh number - over the longer length of a trip, and certainly the closer I get to a 'decision' point about whether to stop, or not - that m/kwh NUMBER is my gauge. If it starts dropping, I start planning my next stop, OR, I slow Down. If it remains at my 'target' number, or hopefully even higher, I keep going...

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
It might be a cached outdated data. Like for example, my fordpass apps shows older info until i give it a second or to to update or if i manually pull down.
Sponsored