• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

One pedal driving

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I use it most of the time. Personally, I feel more comfortable turning one pedal off in snowy or icy conditions. Otherwise, I prefer one-pedal.
I have driven this way for years with other EVs, but I do believe this is something that needs to be addressed for all EVs and regen braking in those conditions. You can watch countless videos online with many spin outs in wet/cold/icy conditions.
Sponsored

onepunch

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
I used 1-pedal in my Mach E and loved it. I tried it in the Lightning and it seemed to be much more dramatic, nose-diving the truck too much. I assume there is a way to adjust the regen to a softer setting, but I just turned it off and haven't gotten around to researching how to adjust it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I used 1-pedal in my Mach E and loved it. I tried it in the Lightning and it seemed to be much more dramatic, nose-diving the truck too much. I assume there is a way to adjust the regen to a softer setting, but I just turned it off and haven't gotten around to researching how to adjust it.
The only adjustment that affects the pedal feel is drive mode.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I only use brake when I have no choice (high speed down hill to traffic light or stop sign etc.)

Greg K

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I seem to get better regen with one-pedal driving than I do standard brake application. I get 100% regen with 1-pedal almost all the time and anywhere from 85% to 95% with braking.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I seem to get better regen with one-pedal driving than I do standard brake application. I get 100% regen with 1-pedal almost all the time and anywhere from 85% to 95% with braking.
That means your braking technique is not optimal.
It should be possible to score 100% with the brake pedal, but I agree it’s much easier with 1PD.
When using 1PD, the friction brakes don’t engage until you’re stopped unless you use the brake pedal.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I used it for the first week, but found that backing into my garage wasn't as graceful with 1pd and its a game of inches and the last thing I want is a lurch into the work bench. For the past 2 weeks I have been driving in sport mode and it seems to be a better balance for me. I get decent regen when I let off, but I still get percise control over the truck when backing into the garage bay. Still barely have to use my breaks when coming to a complete stop.
I honestly felt the same way backing into the garage at first. So i would have to turn off the one-pedal but then I would forget and I'd be in reverse and the camera would block the screen to turn off one-pedal so I'd have to take it out of reverse to access the drive mode screen.... Now I'm a pro at one-pedal garage parking ;)

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The people who say that 1PD saves brakes in the Lightning are wrong. Ford uses a blended braking system in 2PD (and 1PD) that first uses the motor's regen to slow the car when you begin to press the brakes. It only engages the mechanical brakes when you attempt to slow at a rate greater than the motors can achieve or when you drop below 5mph.
It seems like that statement contradicts itself. If you drive 1-pedal exclusively and never hit the brake pedal you would be stopping exclusively with regenerative braking. How does that not save on friction brakes? There is definitely not as much regen in 2-pedal and those friction brakes are being used more often. Put a sharpie mark on your rotor and see which mode wears it off first.

Last edited:

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
when-blazing.gif

Temps in NJ are in the 50-60's in the morning, still stuck at 1.8 driving on the Garden State Parkway. Have tried keeping it at 65 mph for the commute instead of the usual 70-80 mph. No difference.
On a 37 mph commute, usually lose about 50 miles of range. No heat or AC used. Does pre-conditioning matter at these Spring temperatures when no heat or AC is being used?

Thanks.
Wow, my commute is 50 miles roundtrip. The past few days its only been in low 40s in the morning to 47-52F on the way home. 40 of the 50 miles is 65mph to 75mph, the rest is 30-50 mph. Without pre-conditioning and without heat, just seat warmer I get 2.3mile/kwh.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
It seems like that statement contradicts itself. If you drive 1-pedal exclusively and never hit the brake pedal you would be stopping exclusively with regenerative braking. How does that not save on friction brakes? There is definitely not as much regen in 2-pedal and those friction brakes are being used more often. Put a sharpie mark on your rotor and see which mode wears it off first.
If you're using 1PD and it's not stopping fast enough, you'll hit the brake pedal to stop faster and it'll use the friction brakes and the motor to slow together. The same scenario using 2PD would be to depress the brake pedal and it would only engage the motor. Then when it's not slowing fast enough, you press the brake pedal harder and it begins to engage the friction brakes in addition to the motor. Those scenarios are identical.

You might have a point if 1PD doesn't engage the brake pedal at all when the truck slows to under 5mph like 2PD does. But then that begs the question of when does 1PD engage the mechanical brakes to help with hill assist for stopping on an incline or decline? If it does this exclusively with resistance from the motor, then why doesn't it also hold the truck in 2PD in the same manner? If there is a difference here, then I'd also argue that the difference in brake wear for the portion of stopping that is under 5mph and not sudden (because both drive modes will have the mechanical brakes already engaged in that scenario) is negligible and/or very very small.

I'll enable 1PD and report back whether I can discern whether it engages the mechanical brakes when the truck's speed drops under 5mph.

Edited to add: The assumption that pressing the brake pedal always engages the mechanical brakes is not true for all cases. The assumption that not pressing the brake pedal means that the mechanical brakes aren't engaged is also not true for all cases.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you're using 1PD and it's not stopping fast enough, you'll hit the brake pedal to stop faster and it'll use the friction brakes and the motor to slow together. The same scenario using 2PD would be to depress the brake pedal and it would only engage the motor. Then when it's not slowing fast enough, you press the brake pedal harder and it begins to engage the friction brakes in addition to the motor. Those scenarios are identical.

You might have a point if 1PD doesn't engage the brake pedal at all when the truck slows to under 5mph like 2PD does. But then that begs the question of when does 1PD engage the mechanical brakes to help with hill assist for stopping on an incline or decline? If it does this exclusively with resistance from the motor, then why doesn't it also hold the truck in 2PD in the same manner? If there is a difference here, then I'd also argue that the difference in brake wear for the portion of stopping that is under 5mph and not sudden (because both drive modes will have the mechanical brakes already engaged in that scenario) is negligible and/or very very small.

I'll enable 1PD and report back whether I can discern whether it engages the mechanical brakes when the truck's speed drops under 5mph.

In 1PD, the friction brakes engage just as the truck comes to a stop. Sometimes I feel a slight rock as it stops. They stay on until you depress the accelerator.

If you don’t have 1PD turned on, the friction brakes will only hold you in position after stopping (without your foot on the brake) if you have “Autohold” turned on. If Autohold is enabled, the friction brakes hold you until you depress the accelerator.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In 1PD, the friction brakes engage just as the truck comes to a stop. Sometimes I feel a slight rock as it stops. They stay on until you depress the accelerator.

If you don’t have 1PD turned on, the friction brakes will only hold you in position after stopping (without your foot on the brake) if you have “Autohold” turned on. If Autohold is enabled, the friction brakes hold you until you depress the accelerator.
Thanks! I don't have autohold enabled because my truck creeps slowly when I let off the brakes. That might be playing a role for when the mechanical brakes engage on a stop since the motor will be applying power to move forward slowly.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! I don't have autohold enabled because my truck creeps slowly when I let off the brakes. That might be playing a role for when the mechanical brakes engage on a stop since the motor will be applying power to move forward slowly.
When stopped, no 1PD, and no Autohold, the truck should behave just like an ICE with manual transmission and the clutch depressed. It can roll either direction if there is enough slope for gravity to over come friction and inertia.
The electric motor should not be applying any torque.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I've tried 1PD a few times since getting my Lightning in August. I prefer 2PD. Most of my driving is rural so I have very little stop and go traffic which might be the difference. I think most of it is I prefer the feel of coasting when I let off the accelerator rather than modulating the accelerator to achieve the same result.

Most of the time I'm getting the 100% brake regeneration score with 2PD. The only time I don't is when I decelerate faster than the truck is capable of regenerating electricity. The same thing would happen with 1PD.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When stopped, no 1PD, and no Autohold, the truck should behave just like an ICE with manual transmission and the clutch depressed. It can roll either direction if there is enough slope for gravity to over come friction and inertia.
The electric motor should not be applying any torque.
Now you have me questioning my settings. I was pretty sure that my truck creeps like one with an automatic transmission does, but it absolutely does not behave like a manual with the clutch depressed. I have more experimenting to do before I comment again with certainty.
Sponsored