• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Out of Spec Drives Silverado EV

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Let’s assume that the SR and ER charge at the same 62kW rate (I know ER is capable of slightly faster charge rate than SR, but with CCS chargers so frequently derated, it doesn’t make any difference). The ER takes 30% more time to charge its larger pack, but the SR has extra charging stops- the difference in time is negligible (with all due respect to ABRP).
Maybe I just got lucky, but that hasn't been my experience at all. With my aforementioned 2000 mile road trip I was always able to find an EA charger that can output more than 120kW, and most were able to max out the ER battery at 170kW all the way up to around 80% charge. Some of them were broken, but I was usually the only one charging so I just moved to the next stall and found one that worked fine.
Sponsored

rhaffn17

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford f150 Lightning
Occupation
Product Manager
Everyone down plays Ford’s battery architecture, but the battery is easily serviceable.

In GM’s case how will you service or fix a massive 200kwh battery that is basically a structural piece of the truck.

also how long will it take to charge such a massive battery?

time will tell, but I think they are all going the wrong way about this.
I agree with your post... plus I am willing to bet that by the time a new battery will need to be replaced on the F150 Lightning, battery design and capacity technology would allow for us to replace the 131-kW battery with a higher capacity version that would fit in the same space. My thoughts. I personally have enjoyed my Lightning so far and have had little issues if any and have found so many ways to utilize the truck, for work and play. The Chevy EV Truck is nice, but the starting price of 75K with no amenities? Just basically paying for the large battery. If the Lightning had the same battery capacity, our range would be larger too...

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Towing Performance video is up

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
I'll take ProPower:

"I ask Chris Hamilton, a Controls Integration Engineer for General Motors, to go over the Chevrolet Silverado EV's Offboard Power System. The Offboard Power System allows the Silverado EV to offboard up to 10.2 kW of power to run job sites, power buildings during an emergency, and even charge other electric vehicles."

Chevy Silverado EV Offboard Power System Overview

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the discussion of the "this truck versus that truck" is a moot point until other "truck" manufacturers actually start SELLING these "trucks"... Ford and Rivian are the only ones. Price and Availability are also another thing: I think we'll all not be surprised that there won't be any 'entry level' Chevy EV truck for less than $60,000, and finding even one of 'those' trucks will be nigh impossible.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
the discussion of the "this truck versus that truck" is a moot point until other "truck" manufacturers actually start SELLING these "trucks"... Ford and Rivian are the only ones. Price and Availability are also another thing: I think we'll all not be surprised that there won't be any 'entry level' Chevy EV truck for less than $60,000, and finding even one of 'those' trucks will be nigh impossible.
Well - if they build time like they Hummer EV, they will only make 10 or 20 a month, so it isn't really a comparison!

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I don't know if it helps to add to the discussion of SR vs LR vs massive but I just got back from a 800 mile trip to Oregon in my SR Lariat. I was able to go 162 miles after charging 81% at a fast charger. That was probably about the limit of what was comfortable, came in at 14%. No issues at that level but she was starting to complain.

The maximum charging speed I saw was 158 kW, so the same as the ER is rated for. I got a legit 2.1-2.3 mi/kWh at 55-65 mph on I-5. I never felt that I was going slower than I wanted to, just hanging with the delivery trucks.

The truck was really lasting as long as I wanted it to, in fact we stopped at rest areas more than fast chargers. Fast chargers at rest areas would be great. Charging could be faster, slower than my Kia EV6 but not too bad. The longest stop was an hour at a 50 kW station, not doing that one again. Usually it was 20-40 minutes. Interestingly the charge rate was really good, even at 80% it was doing 40kw which beat the hell out of a Polestar at 40%.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
No issues at that level but she was starting to complain.
How was she complaining? Warning? Or performance issues?

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I got a dialog box saying something along the lines of "EV battery low", the guess-o-meter turned orange, and I lost about 15% of power on the upper gauge.

It had no effect on driving that I noticed. The truck kept to 55 until I got to a long section of 35-40, and then went up the steep hill to our house just as normal. I have never seen the power meter get to 50% let alone 85% so I don't know what effect the limited power would have had anyway, perhaps if I was towing?
Sponsored