• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Out of Spec Drives Silverado EV

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
GM Hummer battery pack design. Yes, it actually uses stamped steel.

F150 Lightning battery pack design.
Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
It also should be noted that parking a 4.5-5 ton vehicle in the average paved residential American driveway is going to result in some divots. Our Lightnings are a "featherweight" 3 tons by comparison.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
If you’re driving 150 miles daily why aren’t you charging to 90%. You drive the same amount of miles I do. Currently sitting at 31k miles close to 1 year

Edit: never mind, I just saw “capacity” and I agree…

Hopefully that buffer opens up in the future
based on what ive seen on Tesla battery health at 100k i think we will be fine on the degradation, even more so with the buffer Ford added in. Its just the pains of being an early adopter is all.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
In addition, I guess we can't know for sure what will happen, but I have high hopes that as these trucks get older (and I plan on keeping my Lightning long term), we'll see aftermarket replacement packs and modules come out, much like what we see with the Prius. As a DIY guy myself, this is what I'm hoping for so I can keep my truck on the road way down the road. I personally have my serious doubts that such an aftermarket will pop up for an integral pack system like what's found on the ultium platform vehicles and DIY or even third party repairs out of warranty will likely be significantly more difficult, expensive and complex.
This is what I'm hoping for too. If after 10 years or so I need to replace the battery, there's a good chance that it'll be cheaper to replace, and probbaly more energy dense than what we have now. As long as the rest of the truck is in good shape, why not drive it for another ten years?

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yikes, hope the production versions are a little more trimmed up. It looks small inside too.
On a drive of 500mi or more, range only matters until the first charging stop; then, and for the rest of the trip, what’s more important is charging rate. I’d rather have a more “light and nimble” Lightning SR, and access to Tesla Superchargers next Spring (which can reliably offer the maximum charging rates the Lightning can request). Trying to charge a 200kWh battery pack at a 62kW (de-rated) CCS dispenser sounds like the Chinese water torture… imho.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
On a drive of 500mi or more, range only matters until the first charging stop; then, and for the rest of the trip, what’s more important is charging rate. I’d rather have a more “light and nimble” Lightning SR, and access to Tesla Superchargers next Spring (which can reliably offer the maximum charging rates the Lightning can request). Trying to charge a 200kWh battery pack at a 62kW (de-rated) CCS dispenser sounds like the Chinese water torture… imho.
In a lot of places in the USA, more than just the first stop is important. There are many places that an extra 50-100 miles of range will make the difference between making it to the next charger or not. Also in the heat of the summer or cold of the winter, it could make a big difference. Then there's the whole towing argument. With the lightning, getting 1 m/kWh towing a boat or camper, you're looking at 70-100 miles range. There's a lot of places that isn't going to make it. Get double that and not only are you going to make it between chargers in more places, but the faster potential charging with 350kw is going to cut down total charging time.
Yes I still say if you're towing a large trailer long distances often, stick with ice, but if it's a once in a while thing, the added range might be the difference between making the trip or not. At least with the current charging network.

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
Pending any membership discounts, the cost to fill the Silverado is the same as filling a Chevy Volt since $/kWh is all that really matters. Just like when we all drove ICE trucks, the $/gallon to fill a Prius is the same as my 33 gallon FX4.
You use the term “cost to fill” way too loosely. Cost to fill literally means how much to fill it up. To throw your own example back at you, while the price per gallon of fuel is the same regardless of your miles per gallon, the size of the tank determines your cost to fill. A Prius ain’t holding 35 gallons of fuel like my extended range ICE F150 tank did. The Prius is also probably going the same distance on 1/4 of the fuel. 🤷🏻‍♂️

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
In a lot of places in the USA, more than just the first stop is important. There are many places that an extra 50-100 miles of range will make the difference between making it to the next charger or not. Also in the heat of the summer or cold of the winter, it could make a big difference. Then there's the whole towing argument. With the lightning, getting 1 m/kWh towing a boat or camper, you're looking at 70-100 miles range. There's a lot of places that isn't going to make it. Get double that and not only are you going to make it between chargers in more places, but the faster potential charging with 350kw is going to cut down total charging time.
Yes I still say if you're towing a large trailer long distances often, stick with ice, but if it's a once in a while thing, the added range might be the difference between making the trip or not. At least with the current charging network.
What people also don’t realize is the extra 80 miles of range with the ER vs SR can literally cut cumulative charge times in half with current DCFC infrastructure. When I did a 2000 mile Colorado to Florida road trip the ABRP software predicted 16 hours of charge time for a SR truck and 8 hours of charge time for my ER truck and it nailed the prediction.

From looking at the data, the EA chargers are spaced approximately 100 miles apart so I was able to go 200 miles between stops since the ER truck gets around 250 miles on a full charge at interstate highway speeds. The SR truck does around 190 highway miles, so it can’t skip stops and you are stuck charging every 100ish miles instead of 200.

I expect this gap to narrow as the superchargers come on line and the computer has a lot more choices to build an optimal charging plan, but I definitely see the value in having a 400+ mile EV currently if it’s used in any capacity for long distance travel. After getting some experience with the ER truck, I would certainly pay for a 400 mile Lightning if they ever build one.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I honestly am not sure how i feel about huge battery packs.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I honestly am not sure how i feel about huge battery packs.
It will be interesting to see what Ford can do with the t3 and how efficient the cybertruck is. Right now, drivetrain and aero efficiency along with weight are the ways to get not range with the same capacity batteries. Ford has already said they aren't as interested in just throwing more battery into the vehicle to increase range.
It seems GM is claiming efficiency about the same as the lightning from the Silverado. I wonder what it would get if the Silverado weighed the same as the lightning. Maybe we'll find out with the cheaper versions of the Silverado

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is what I'm hoping for too. If after 10 years or so I need to replace the battery, there's a good chance that it'll be cheaper to replace, and probbaly more energy dense than what we have now. As long as the rest of the truck is in good shape, why not drive it for another ten years?
Tesla already has more than enough data to show that similar batteries will have a much longer life than 10 years.

Even if 10 years the battery degrade to say 60% (still much lower than most will be, I would estimate 75 to 80% still left) a 10 year old truck with a 60% usable batter will be better sold as is vs you spending the money to replace the battery. A new battery would be cost prohibitive in a 10 year old truck. Especially our current lightnings because our tech won't be supportable beyond that time frame if it makes it even 10 years.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Tesla already has more than enough data to show that similar batteries will have a much longer life than 10 years.

Even if 10 years the battery degrade to say 60% (still much lower than most will be, I would estimate 75 to 80% still left) a 10 year old truck with a 60% usable batter will be better sold as is vs you spending the money to replace the battery. A new battery would be cost prohibitive in a 10 year old truck. Especially our current lightnings because our tech won't be supportable beyond that time frame if it makes it even 10 years.
Oh I agree, the way I drive I'm looking at 20 years if you base it off the number of charge cycles. I'm just throwing out a number though, in ten years the tech should be advanced enough to maybe make it worthwhile to upgrade, plus the prices may have come down due to economies of scale. Who knows, I'll be happy either way.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer

With the low maintenance and longevity of these electric drivetrains, most BEV's are going to be far more functional after 10 years than many ICE vehicles. If someone truly uses their truck and puts 150-200K+ miles on it in 10 years, the EV is still going to be rocking along just fine even if the battery capacity has shrunk a bit under 80%. By then an ICE will almost certainly need serious transmission work and engine service and its efficiency won't be anywhere near 80% as good as it was new. ...Well, at least for most trucks I've owned, I'm usually out before 150K miles since I'll sell while there's still some value to be had and often much of the interior and the vehicle overall is worse for wear so I'm ready to move on. I know some baby their vehicles and spend all kinds of extra money on wraps/PPF, etc... I keep mine clean, I don't abuse it, but I also don't baby it along. I'm not keeping a show car. It's a tool, not a jewel...

I have many friends who are super curious about the Lightning and why I bought it. They keep buying into a lot of the propaganda about how bad the batteries are and EV's are no good until they can get to 500+ mile range, and all that. They ask me what is the advantage of gong electric -- car or truck -- and I think most are expecting me to say something something environment... But I say it's about performance, lower maintenance lower total cost of ownership over the life of the vehicle and a better overall experience. I've converted a couple of them. The ones who are unwilling to listen and/or are bad at math are hard to convert. But I got my father to see it, then he bought a Tesla... Now he's planning to buy the next-gen Ford (T3) or maybe an alternative truck if it seems better in a couple years. He wants to get a bit more life out of his F350 and let the EV trucks mature a bit, but after driving my Lightning I think he would have just bought one anyway if not for the wait.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What people also don’t realize is the extra 80 miles of range with the ER vs SR can literally cut cumulative charge times in half with current DCFC infrastructure. When I did a 2000 mile Colorado to Florida road trip the ABRP software predicted 16 hours of charge time for a SR truck and 8 hours of charge time for my ER truck and it nailed the prediction.

From looking at the data, the EA chargers are spaced approximately 100 miles apart so I was able to go 200 miles between stops since the ER truck gets around 250 miles on a full charge at interstate highway speeds. The SR truck does around 190 highway miles, so it can’t skip stops and you are stuck charging every 100ish miles instead of 200.

I expect this gap to narrow as the superchargers come on line and the computer has a lot more choices to build an optimal charging plan, but I definitely see the value in having a 400+ mile EV currently if it’s used in any capacity for long distance travel. After getting some experience with the ER truck, I would certainly pay for a 400 mile Lightning if they ever build one.
Let’s assume that the SR and ER charge at the same 62kW rate (I know ER is capable of slightly faster charge rate than SR, but with CCS chargers so frequently derated, it doesn’t make any difference). The ER takes 30% more time to charge its larger pack, but the SR has extra charging stops- the difference in time is negligible (with all due respect to ABRP).

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Let’s assume that the SR and ER charge at the same 62kW rate (I know ER is capable of slightly faster charge rate than SR, but with CCS chargers so frequently derated, it doesn’t make any difference). The ER takes 30% more time to charge its larger pack, but the SR has extra charging stops- the difference in time is negligible (with all due respect to ABRP).
This is an example of different use cases and realities. Where I am and the type of road tripping I do, infrastructure is pretty sparse, but fairly reliable. The ER is huge for me for a couple reasons, but it definitely cuts total charge time.

First, I get the faster charging speeds that ER offers often. Secondly, even if we assume equal charging times, the 'overhead' for charging is not insignificant. I figure in total, by the time I get off the interstate, drive a couple minutes to the charger, and get connected and started, plus then disconnect, get going, drive a couple minutes back to the interstate, I've probably spent 10 minutes in addition to the actual charging time.

If I have to charge 5 times with a SR vs 3 times with an ER, as example, I've got 20 minutes of wasted overhead time before adding in any additional time due to charging speeds.

It's not a huge amount, but it certainly isn't insignificant, either.

And that's on a route that has the chargers within a few minutes of my route. If I have to reroute for any reason for charging stops the extra stops become even more significant.
Sponsored