• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Out of Spec Drives Silverado EV

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Chevy did announce supercharger access and they'll eventually switch to that port on the vehicles instead of ccs1
Bad news for GM until the V4 Supercharger is in use. V3 is only good for 400 volts. Will be slow charging on a 200 kWh pack.
Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Chevy did announce supercharger access and they'll eventually switch to that port on the vehicles instead of ccs1
Correct. I forgot that they cut a deal and dropped it from my post. That said, they'll be slow charging that big ole pack, because they won't be able to play their 800V charging game.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I think what we all hope for with the switch to NACS is some real competitive pressure on EA, ChargePoint, EvGo, etc. They will have to improve performance and adapt to NACS to survive.

Tesla will probably remain the premium priced charging experience. But until the others can give reliable service, I think that most folks would gladly pay $0.10 more per KWh to go to a charging station they know is going to work.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
It will be interesting to see if GM can actually produce the Silverado in volume as they seem incapable of doing so with the Hummer. Everything about this Silverado, including the price, screams re-badged Hummer.

In about 2.5 months, I have driven my Lightning over 7k miles. Range is fine for me and charging speed, while slower than my Taycan, is fine. When I am local, I only charge the thing every week and a half or so.

I own my Lightning Lariat ER outright. I am not planning on switching anytime soon. I am a Ford truck person -- my first F series was an F100 with 3 on the tree. Sure, there may be "Silverado" people out there, but I am not one of them. Like any pickup, I am looking to get a decade out of it before I buy another truck. Given my age, that new truck in the next decade will be the er uh, "final" new truck for me. Ah, mortality.
So are your miles higher than normal due to it being new? Your on track for 30k a year (so am i) and i just dont see this truck lasting ten years, for me im hoping to get $40-45k trade in on my lariat around 100,000 and by then T3 should be out and might have better efficiency. Midwest winter was a little rough on the battery and i dont think age will help with winter range, long daily drive in a charging desert with 50Kw being as fast as it gets sucks.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
So are your miles higher than normal due to it being new? Your on track for 30k a year (so am i) and i just dont see this truck lasting ten years, for me im hoping to get $40-45k trade in on my lariat around 100,000 and by then T3 should be out and might have better efficiency. Midwest winter was a little rough on the battery and i dont think age will help with winter range, long daily drive in a charging desert with 50Kw being as fast as it gets sucks.
Yes, I do a bunch of driving generally.

None of the stuff that goes wrong with an ICE truck is going wrong here. There's no engine, transmission or exhaust. There's no belts and accessory mess. It's fundamentally a simpler machine. Miles don't have the same meaning with an EV -- less heat, less vibration. I think that it's got a real shot at 10 years.

Plus, Ford put a lot of consideration into the pack being repairable. So, if something goes goofy with the battery, it's not like the whole pack needs to be replaced. It's also got good thermal management and a really conservative charging curve. I intend to hold onto mine for a while.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Yes, I do a bunch of driving generally.

None of the stuff that goes wrong with an ICE truck is going wrong here. There's no engine, transmission or exhaust. There's no belts and accessory mess. It's fundamentally a simpler machine. Miles don't have the same meaning with an EV -- less heat, less vibration. I think that it's got a real shot at 10 years.

Plus, Ford put a lot of consideration into the pack being repairable. So, if something goes goofy with the battery, it's not like the whole pack needs to be replaced. It's also got good thermal management and a really conservative charging curve. I intend to hold onto mine for a while.
I guess the way i see it is charging cycles are going to be the biggest factor for long term battery life. We will just have to wait and see! For me i cant afford the truck to get the range it would at 80% capacity due to my daily drive of 150 miles and winter months averaging only 1.3-1.4. Next year ill have my FCSP installed and maybe preheating will go better.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
He said it is modular design, so I wonder how hard it will be to fix one of those many modules? The only plus I see will be the towing distance between stops, but a one ton battery!!
Lots of negatives too, so it is too soon to know how it will go. It seems direct competition to the CT, but looks better....
Right now, everyone except for the new Tesla Model Y has a modular design. But that means nothing on how easy it is to drop a battery that is structural to the frame in order to change out a module.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
The software definitely seems nicer:
- Better route navigation
- Displays kw output and regen values
- ProPower doesn't need the vehicle running (in fact it states it needs it off and I haven't seen anyone find out if the ports are active when the vehicle is driving, but I assume there's a way)

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I guess the way i see it is charging cycles are going to be the biggest factor for long term battery life. We will just have to wait and see! For me i cant afford the truck to get the range it would at 80% capacity due to my daily drive of 150 miles and winter months averaging only 1.3-1.4. Next year ill have my FCSP installed and maybe preheating will go better.
If you’re driving 150 miles daily why aren’t you charging to 90%. You drive the same amount of miles I do. Currently sitting at 31k miles close to 1 year

Edit: never mind, I just saw “capacity” and I agree…

Hopefully that buffer opens up in the future

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
8500lb weight for 1400lb payload, no!
And the RST trim will probably have even lower payload because it will be heavier due to things like the glass roof, power seats, air suspension, rear wheel steering, and that fancy midgate and folding tailgate.
Put your whole family and some gear in the truck and good luck having capacity for your camper or boat.

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
That's some amazing efficiency for the weight and possible 500 range wow!
If only it looked better lol

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Everyone down plays Ford’s battery architecture, but the battery is easily serviceable.

In GM’s case how will you service or fix a massive 200kwh battery that is basically a structural piece of the truck.

also how long will it take to charge such a massive battery?

time will tell, but I think they are all going the wrong way about this.
This right here is one of the biggest reasons I love the Lightning. People want to dog on Ford's "retrofit" approach, but that's one of the Lightning's greatest strengths and one of the reasons why I'm happy I've got a Lightning and not one of these more hybrid unibody/BOF vehicles. Yes mounting the battery in its own separate enclosure between two fully boxed frame rails is far less space efficient. But what it does mean that with the simple removal of around 18 bolts, the entire pack can be dropped down and replaced or serviced. The same can't be said for an integral structural pack.

In addition, I guess we can't know for sure what will happen, but I have high hopes that as these trucks get older (and I plan on keeping my Lightning long term), we'll see aftermarket replacement packs and modules come out, much like what we see with the Prius. As a DIY guy myself, this is what I'm hoping for so I can keep my truck on the road way down the road. I personally have my serious doubts that such an aftermarket will pop up for an integral pack system like what's found on the ultium platform vehicles and DIY or even third party repairs out of warranty will likely be significantly more difficult, expensive and complex.

If you're the type to consistently trade in your vehicles every couple years, then this is likely inconsequential to you, but for me and anyone who values repairability and modularity, I think Ford's design approach is superior.

Obviously there are trade offs for maximizing range, but I think even there, if the Ram REV can actually achieve its stated range, it's approach of also having a fully boxed frame, simply widened to accommodate a wider pack enclosure might be the best compromise.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I believe the Fleet-only WT Kyle was driving is $77,990 and it squeaks in a few pounds under 10,000.
WT4 I believe he said and yes that price is about right.
Sponsored