• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
All-
TLDR- rear sunroof gasket failing. took into dealer and “they will get back to me”

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_3305
Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_3307

so I try to wash my truck by hand every couple of weeks, and noticed this during the weekend wash. Rear panoramic sunroof glass gasket. It has failed on the passenger side, and beginning to fail on the aft drivers side as well.

have any of you had this failure?

1 year (almost to the day, approx 15k miles)

any suggestions to cover this until the dealership returns my request for warranty repair? My expectations is that the warranty will replace it - any thoughts?
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
All-
TLDR- rear sunroof gasket failing. took into dealer and “they will get back to me”

IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3307.png

so I try to wash my truck by hand every couple of weeks, and noticed this during the weekend wash. Rear panoramic sunroof glass gasket. It has failed on the passenger side, and beginning to fail on the aft drivers side as well.

any suggestions to cover this until the dealership returns my request for warranty repair? My expectations is that the warranty will replace it - any thoughts?
That is definitely not normal. Hopefully the dealership gives you an answer. Just out of curiosity, how are you washing your truck and what are you using to do so?

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
All-

IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3307.png

Looks like rodent damage, better find out before they eat something more expensive.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Ugh - sorry to see this.

My Lariat ER has 41,000 miles on it now and the gaskets are perfectly fine. I live in SE PA and the truck is parked in garage. I would agree with earlier comments - it does seem like damage caused by a bird or rodent tearing at it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
All-

IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3307.png

Definitely looks like something got a hold of the gasket. I have owned a bunch of F150 ICE and 2 Lightnings with sunroofs and I have never seem that happen before.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Ford has been making the moon roof for quite a while so failure (at least on the fixed seal) should be rare. I agree it looks more like rodent/bird damage than product failure. Pieces are missing and the remaining seal seems intact. Something is chewing on that. Set up a motion sensor camera on it for some time.

OP
OP

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is definitely not normal. Hopefully the dealership gives you an answer. Just out of curiosity, how are you washing your truck and what are you using to do so?
Step ladder, hand washed with microfiber mitts for the top. No step ladder for the rest!

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting
Occupation
Military
Mine was replaced yesterday. 13k miles I don't believe I had damage like that but had bad seal and was leaking inside the cabin after a few hours of heavy rain.

No garage though mine is a 100% outdoor truck

DaGriff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Plumber
Interesting to see this happen like that. I also have a Lariat with the roof and it is 100% outside, no garage time. Maybe its time to get a shelter?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine was replaced yesterday. 13k miles I don't believe I had damage like that but had bad seal and was leaking inside the cabin after a few hours of heavy rain.

No garage though mine is a 100% outdoor truck
I park mine outside 100% outside too. Los Angeles concrete jungle so not a lot of animals climbing on the truck.

one side of my gasket (that is degraded) is very puffy and soft - almost spongy. The other side (drivers side) is much stiffer feeling. The stiffer side has a spot that is separating from the glass. New photo is the stiffer side and you can see it separating.
Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_3309

For those who had it fixed, what did it cost you?

I’ve seen costs of $2000 or some such for different automobiles. If it is just a silicone gasket then I don’t know why I wouldn’t just use a silicone tube.

but from what many of you are saying - I don’t know why something that animals favor to grub on would be used.

thanks all and keep ideas coming!

First Name
Enrique
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting
Occupation
Military
Mine was covered by warranty $0 out if pocket. Did have to go twice, one for diagnostic and another time when the part arrived. The whole thing took a few weeks but both the diagnosis and installation was about 4 hrs. Dealer is close to work so no significant impact on daily schedule.

Did yours leaked also during the last rains?

I park mine outside 100% outside too. Los Angeles concrete jungle so not a lot of animals climbing on the truck.

one side of my gasket (that is degraded) is very puffy and soft - almost spongy. The other side (drivers side) is much stiffer feeling. The stiffer side has a spot that is separating from the glass. New photo is the stiffer side and you can see it separating.
IMG_3309.jpeg

For those who had it fixed, what did it cost you?

I’ve seen costs of $2000 or some such for different automobiles. If it is just a silicone gasket then I don’t know why I wouldn’t just use a silicone tube.

but from what many of you are saying - I don’t know why something that animals favor to grub on would be used.

thanks all and keep ideas coming!

OP
OP

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine was covered by warranty $0 out if pocket. Did have to go twice, one for diagnostic and another time when the part arrived. The whole thing took a few weeks but both the diagnosis and installation was about 4 hrs. Dealer is close to work so no significant impact on daily schedule.

Did yours leaked also during the last rains?
Not that I noticed. I didn’t even notice the gasket issue until this weekend

we did get a lot of recent storms, so maybe I just got lucky

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for starting this post.

I’ve got a brand new (2 weeks) Lariat, which has been garaged since being purchased. After seeing this post, I checked my moonroof gasket and see extensive deterioration (see pics).

I don’t know how long the truck sat at the dealer before I bought it, but this seems to be a lot more than what an animal could accomplish. Maybe there is a material defect issue???

Off to the dealer asap

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1799

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1798

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1797

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1795

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1794

Ford F-150 Lightning Panoramic sunroof gasket failing - 2023 Lariat ER IMG_1796

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks for starting this post.

I’ve got a brand new (2 weeks) Lariat, which has been garaged since being purchased. After seeing this post, I checked my moonroof gasket and see extensive deterioration (see pics).

I don’t know how long the truck sat at the dealer before I bought it, but this seems to be a lot more than what an animal could accomplish. Maybe there is a material defect issue???

Off to the dealer asap

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg
ouch! OP's post looks more like a rodent issue. However, your truck looks like its completely dry rotted out.
Sponsored