• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Parking Outside

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
Am I the only one that gets paranoid about parking outside every day in the sun? I used to have a Model 3 that I could park in the garage, but there’s no way my Lightning will fit. I got Perma Plate from the dealer really cheap, but hate that I have to park outside every day.

Anyone else out there going through the same silly agony, too?
Ford F-150 Lightning Parking Outside F553578F-AEF6-4478-8D1A-AB5F5ABCE9A5
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Am I the only one that gets paranoid about parking outside every day in the sun? I used to have a Model 3 that I could park in the garage, but there’s no way my Lightning will fit. I got Perma Plate from the dealer really cheap, but hate that I have to park outside every day.

F553578F-AEF6-4478-8D1A-AB5F5ABCE9A5.jpeg
I will be soon! My Tacoma fit with 6” to spare lol. Got a cover for times when thunderstorms or snow storms are forecast. Other than that I’m not worried about it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Given I have no garage, all of my vehicles are parked outside all of the time. They are vehicles and meant to be used. A little weather won't kill them. Esp in CA. Come see what some Northeast winters are like and what salt can do to cars. You will get over your worry fast.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
Ya, be careful you might loose your cat.

Park it in front of your door bell.
Keep it plugged in.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Ya, be careful you might loose your cat.

Park it in front of your door bell.
Keep it plugged in.
I could never get my cat to stay where I parked it - not even long enough to plug it in.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Given I have no garage, all of my vehicles are parked outside all of the time. They are vehicles and meant to be used. A little weather won't kill them. Esp in CA. Come see what some Northeast winters are like and what salt can do to cars. You will get over your worry fast.
Drive one winter in upstate NY with the road salt bonanza and "parking" outside will be the least of your worries..

(With the exception of perhaps VT I've never seen a place that uses so much road salt as NYS)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

When I switched from apartment living to house living back in the late 1980s, a requirement was garages for all my vehicles. Been that way ever since, across multiple homes. We looked at retirement homes in recent years, and anything without a garage and without the area to build a garage was eliminated.

I've had times when a vehicle had to be outside, after buying a new vehicle and not having sold the old one. Just recently, I went from mid-May to early July with the F-150 sitting outside, and was not happy. After the old car was picked up by the buyer, I put the F-150 inside that day, and soon after gave it a wash.

To me, the joy of homeowning is having your vehicles put away and nothing on the driveway. I will never own vehicles that can't be put away.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
When I switched from apartment living to house living back in the late 1980s, a requirement was garages for all my vehicles. Been that way ever since, across multiple homes. We looked at retirement homes in recent years, and anything without a garage and without the area to build a garage was eliminated.

I've had times when a vehicle had to be outside, after buying a new vehicle and not having sold the old one. Just recently, I went from mid-May to early July with the F-150 sitting outside, and was not happy. After the old car was picked up by the buyer, I put the F-150 inside that day, and soon after gave it a wash.

To me, the joy of homeowning is having your vehicles put away and nothing on the driveway. I will never own vehicles that can't be put away.
Two car garage with three cars.... Which one stays outside? The one that does not need charging? Definitely not the one my wife is driving. The only time her car has been outside for an extended period was when my garage bay was being used to construct new countertops and her garage bay had the new kitchen cabinets. None of our cars are inexpensive or old. Currently the Tacoma lives outside. The two plug-ins stay inside, but the lightning will replace the taco and past experience says that it will fit with maybe a foot to spare as long as I keep the garage clear of obstructions. Currently there are oil change supplies blocking the far wall (too bad the xc90 phev still needs oil).

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired
Have a carport installed. Keeps the truck in the shade.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have dual single car garages for my home but the LIghtning won't fit so it stays outside.

So far no issues even with super hot temps - parked or charging.
Ford F-150 Lightning Parking Outside IMG_9374.JPG

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Imagine if a vehicle that was "built Ford tough" had a requirement to be stored indoors. It will be just fine outside.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Early LEAFs without liquid cooling in hot states had severe battery capacity loss.

Yes it is not not fatal to park outside, but I live in central valley of California where we have many days of 100F. With direct sunshine, the truck would get >120F easily. So try to put shade on if possible for your own goodness.

PS: when you add max tow package for $850-1000, it does not mean to keep battery temperature to 120F. It means much lower than that.

Last edited:

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
The end of my driveway would have room for only a one car garage. The pine tree sap is insane. Last weekend my father and I put up a cover to protect the Bronco and Lighting from tree sap and it keeps it shaded. I’m seriously thinking of paying for an engineer for special plans for a slanted carport and then install solar on top of it where the cover is right now. Once it is cool enough and sap stops falling I will remove the cover.

Ford F-150 Lightning Parking Outside 7EEF14C9-94CA-4290-82CA-D0EC0C3DEAE3

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Looks nice
The end of my driveway would have room for only a one car garage. The pine tree sap is insane. Last weekend my father and I put up a cover to protect the Bronco and Lighting from tree sap and it keeps it shaded. I’m seriously thinking of paying for an engineer for special plans for a slanted carport and then install solar on top of it where the cover is right now. Once it is cool enough and sap stops falling I will remove the cover.

7EEF14C9-94CA-4290-82CA-D0EC0C3DEAE3.jpeg
Looks good. If you put solar on top, the panels will not like the sap. One of the local solar installers around here sells solar canopies/car ports.
Sponsored