• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pesky Frunk Inner Trim Panel Fasteners, my solution

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I purchased the nylon wing nuts and press-in anchors at ACE Hardware. I installed the anchors into the slots where the original fasteners were and took #8-32 screws and cut the heads off of them and screwed the threaded rod into the anchors. Then installed the trim panels and secured with the wing nuts. I didn't replace the original fasteners in the front of the panel because they work ok. Must be they are inserted into a different size square hole. Black wing nuts would look better but I couldn't find any easily.

IMG_7167.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg
Awsome!! Thanks for the details. Great solution!
Sponsored

OP
OP

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
The metal screws really clash with the white plastic. Definitely needs a custom paint job.
I know, not the prettiest looking mod. Now I'm thinking about purchasing these thumb nuts. They would look much better. However, I'm worried about hood clearance. I won't know until I purchase them and try them.

Ford F-150 Lightning Pesky Frunk Inner Trim Panel Fasteners, my solution Thumb Nuts

Reactions: dww

salmotrutta

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
retired
I lost most of these clips when I had to charge the 12v battery to get it to shut up about the low battery level. Module replaced so that should go away but I'm annoyed that Ford would have such a crappy way of securing a panel that clearly has to be removed for a simple maintenance issue. Especially if you are likely to be trying to remove it in less than ideal conditions when jump starting another car.

Maybe they will include a baggie of replacement clips when they send out our charging adapters. :)

OP
OP

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
I lost most of these clips when I had to charge the 12v battery to get it to shut up about the low battery level. Module replaced so that should go away but I'm annoyed that Ford would have such a crappy way of securing a panel that clearly has to be removed for a simple maintenance issue. Especially if you are likely to be trying to remove it in less than ideal conditions when jump starting another car.

Maybe they will include a baggie of replacement clips when they send out our charging adapters. :)
I agree, at least make the clips available, but even then, what are you supposed to do order a years supply of them? I admit, most owners won't even remove these panels. But what about anytime you want to or need to you shouldn't have to go through the hassle.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
On both the Mach-E and the Lightning, they made battery access (Mach-E) and jump posts (both) ridiculous.

The idea that a brand new panel has to be ordered is totally absurd. Zero reason for that. Mine needed a new one right away, as it came (dealer demo with 400 miles) missing several.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm not following the issue here, I've never needed to remove anything, do the backsides fall off?

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I'm not following the issue here, I've never needed to remove anything, do the backsides fall off?
I've been following this thread trying to understand the issue as well. I've taken the left liner off multiple times to reach the jump point and I actually thought the fasteners work well. Quarter turn they release, they all stay intact on the liner. Simple to put back on as well. Maybe certain trucks had different fasteners?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've been following this thread trying to understand the issue as well. I've taken the left liner off multiple times to reach the jump point and I actually thought the fasteners work well. Quarter turn they release, they all stay intact on the liner. Simple to put back on as well. Maybe certain trucks had different fasteners?
A good portion of the time, part of the connector falls into the truck, never to be seen again.

rtk11226

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning/1991 Chev 1500/1976 Corvette
Occupation
Retired IT/Engineer
There has got to be some talented CAD designer out there that could spend a few minutes designing a new clip that can easily be 3d printed. Having a downloadable design sure would be nice (and appreciated).

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

Sponsored

Computermedic78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
There has got to be some talented CAD designer out there that could spend a few minutes designing a new clip that can easily be 3d printed. Having a downloadable design sure would be nice (and appreciated).
I wouldn't say that I'm talented, but I did design these as a 1 piece. The files are free to use for yourself on printables. All I ask is that if someone wants to purchase some that they do it from me.

https://www.printables.com/model/689023-f150-lightning-trim-clip

For those without a 3D printer you can purchase anything I have designed from my website here https://www.mattsprintables.com/.

Last edited: