• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertools. Corded vs battery. Back to cords?

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Radial saw and chain saw. Who uses battery and which brand? I’ve been using 20v for years but those saws are corded for me.
I have a Stihl blower and chain saw, but as a woodturner I'm cutting bowl blanks all year round and bought an Oregon self sharpening 15" chain saw a couple years ago. Love it and only use the Stihl if I'm out of power cord range. $125 and the self sharpening feature works great.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have a battery and a chorded leaf blower.
Obviously the battery one is more versatile. But the 110V cheap Harbor Freight blower is insanely more powerful. Not even close.

I keep it with the RV for clearing the porch and roof and the truck.
Love that dang thing

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I’ve 4 gas chainsaws including an ancient Homelite powering a Lewis winch. They sit idle while the Ryobi is ready to rock at the flick of a switch. The only corded stuff I use is a skil saw, 240V table saw (400 lbs!), and a drill press. Oh, an air compressor too. Strange to think the LT can run all of that. I’ve a craftsman generator I’ll probably never use. The only cord I need is LT to transfer switch (at some point in the future.

I’ve a big corded angle grinder and that sucker would be hard to replace. It’s a real beast. Also a corded drill driver for concrete drilling. So some powerful cord driven tools would be hard to replace.

OP
OP

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Glad to hear both sides on this one

After deliberating I’m most likely pulling the trigger on a cord leaf blower soon. Either than Bauer, the Toro, or one on Amazon that claims to pull 15A

I’m always in range of the truck, want the most power, and if I can get a trusty driver I may be using it right from the bed

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Because you are not always working right beside your house. My first job, when the truck gets here will be to build a treehouse down in the woods for my kid. I have a path that I can back the trick down to the target tree. I can back the bed right up to the tree trunk on two sides. I'll use the bed to drill support rods into the tree, and lift the incredibly heavy 6 x 6's into place to support the structure. Then I will have to cut all of the boards needed to build it out, and again the bed will be a work platform. All of this is happening 1000 ft from my garage. I'll be running work lights and a mitre saw via plugs in the bed and I will have a battery pack charging in the Frunk for the rest of the hand power tools.

Last week I built and installed shelving for a buddies extensive LP record collection, and I did all the cuts in his driveway. It was a 300+ ft run from the nearest power outlet. Extension cords won't cut it over that distance.

Stuff like that happens all the time.
The OP posted the question about switching from cordless tools to corded tools not about a remote situation where its beneficial to use truck power. that is a totally different question.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I don't really think about top of the driveway as "remote", but point taken. IMO, cords are a PITA. Easy to fowl, constantly needing to be moved or untwisted. Plus there are issues with power draw vs. (length-of-run X wire gauge) that most consumers just don't understand.
Sponsored