• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Private Cash Offer + $5k price protection UPDATE — the nightmare before Christmas

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is the $5k and $4k price protections also structured as a rebate? That's about $698 in additional sales tax in CA if they are.
Sorry, maybe someone who has done it here can answer. I don't know how the price protection is structured.

In my case, I got the 'private offer' which was applied as a rebate which was taxable.
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Is the $5k and $4k price protections also structured as a rebate? That's about $698 in additional sales tax in CA if they are.
Those should come off before the deal but the $7000 private offer was taxed for me.

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
Those should come off before the deal but the $7000 private offer was taxed for me.
Same for me. My sale didn’t even show the subtractions for price protection. They just made it the correct “sale price” Then added tax/etc then subtracted $7000 PCO

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Same for me. My sale didn’t even show the subtractions for price protection. They just made it the correct “sale price” Then added tax/etc then subtracted $7000 PCO
Isn't NJ taxes different ?
In CA, the sales tax is added to the MSRP then the PCO & price protections are deducted afterwards as "manufacturer's rebates".

Sponsored

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2020 Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Occupation
Asset Management
In CA, the sales tax is added to the MSRP then the PCO & price protections are deducted afterwards as "manufacturer's rebates".
That's my concern. The MSRP has gone up by $16,000 plus the shipping by an additional $100 (not taxed in CA though). So at a 7.75% sale tax rate then I am paying an extra $1,240 even with the PCO and price protection.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
That's my concern. The MSRP has gone up by $16,000 plus the shipping by an additional $100 (not taxed in CA though). So at a 7.75% sale tax rate then I am paying an extra $1,240 even with the PCO and price protection.
Yes, you pay taxes on the listed MSPR in CA, the price protection and private offer are considering manufacture rebates and come off after taxes.

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
Well NJ is tax free on EVs. but the way the dealers are supposed to handle it is, sell you the vehicle for the price you ordered at. So that is what would be taxed and then the PCO comes off of that. My dealer literally wrote the selling price as ~$46,974 (+other) even though my window sticker shows the ~$51,974 (+other) price. Thats how price protection is supposed to work.

so are you telling me in CA if you haggle the price down to $20k for a vehicle that is $40k MSRP…you’ll be taxed on the $40k?!?!?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
so are you telling me in CA if you haggle the price down to $20k for a vehicle that is $40k MSRP…you’ll be taxed on the $40k?!?!?
No, you'd be taxed on the $20K. If you buy a phone with an MSRP of $799 on contract for $0.00 you'll pay tax on the $799, though. If you take the federal EV rebate off the top (like in a lease) then it'll be taxed. The other incentives being discussed here do come off after sales tax but then the manufacturer rebate itself is taxed.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
so has anyone that was promised to get the 5k price protection latter in the form of a check from the dealer/ford gotten it yet ?
I haven't seen a single example of someone getting this.

Sponsored

anthafied

First Name
Anthy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Firefighter paramedic
It can take up to 90 days to get a check so I'm not surprised that no one has got a check yet. That being said, I'm not too optimistic.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
There is zero proof or documentation that I have heard or seen of Ford sending a check directly to a buyer for price protection. Every time it's mentioned it's described as an "automatic" process where Ford rebates the dealer the difference in price from order invoice to sticker. The dealer would then need to cut the buyer a check themself completely on the honor system as the buyer has no way to monitor this transaction. It's so intentionally vague it's pretty much guaranteed to screw buyers. I have a delivered truck sitting at the dealer while I await clarity from @Ford Motor Company on this nonsense.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
I'm at 9.375% sales tax, so don't feel too bad ;) I'm more worried about not getting the $16k in total PCO + price protection from my Ford dealer.
Sponsored