• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Problems charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Thefishlady

First Name
Barbara D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Cmax E, Subaru WRX and soon F150 XLT Lightnin
Occupation
Busibess owner
In my County in Virginia, an electrical permit is required and the permit application requires a detailed load calculation to ensure that there is sufficient capacity assuming everything is on at the same time. We made it by just under 2 amps.
In California no permit is needed for an outlet. Again that is not the issue, the issue is that Ford screwed up and gave out the wrong information which is: a 50 amp breaker as the charger pulls up to 44 amps and not 32 as they claim> Reason there now is a pending class action lawsuit.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
In California no permit is needed for an outlet. Again that is not the issue, the issue is that Ford screwed up and gave out the wrong information which is: a 50 amp breaker as the charger pulls up to 44 amps and not 32 as they claim> Reason there now is a pending class action lawsuit.
Can you please provide the link to the class action law suit? I cannot find it online when I do a Google search.

OP
OP

Thefishlady

First Name
Barbara D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busibess owner
Can you please provide the link to the class action law suit? I cannot find it online when I do a Google search.
No lonk yet, it is what the technical advisor told my electrician. I also tried to find it, I will research more. Here is proof that their documentation is misleading & wrong.
Ford F-150 Lightning Problems charging 1687663843996

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
No lonk yet, it is what the technical advisor told my electrician. I also tried to find it, I will research more. Here is proof that their documentation is misleading & wrong.
1687663843996.png
What you keep calling a charger is technically an EV Service Equipment. The charger for AC charging is built into the truck. It is correct that the charger in your truck will take up to 48A but the Ford Mobile EVSE will only allow 32A. The EVSE communicates with the on board charger and the on board charger will not take more than 32A. If the EVSE detects a higher current it will interrupt the session. It was probably a bad idea to put a 50A outlet on a 40A circuit but not necessarily a code violation. Your problem is either an incorrectly wired outlet or a defective EVSE.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thefishlady

First Name
Barbara D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busibess owner
What you keep calling a charger is technically an EV Service Equipment. The charger for AC charging is built into the truck. It is correct that the charger in your truck will take up to 48A but the Ford Mobile EVSE will only allow 32A. The EVSE communicates with the on board charger and the on board charger will not take more than 32A. If the EVSE detects a higher current it will interrupt the session. It was probably a bad idea to put a 50A outlet on a 40A circuit but not necessarily a code violation. Your problem is either an incorrectly wired outlet or a defective EVSE.
We had a 40 amp breaker & it is a 50 amp breaker that is needed. Ford totally misinformed me & my electrician. It pulls more than 32 amp, up to 44 reason the 40 amp breaker needs to be changed out.

OP
OP

Thefishlady

First Name
Barbara D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busibess owner
I am referring to the charger that comes w/the truck which allows you to charge anywhere on either available voltage. I chose not to have the wall charger installed as I have been very content w/the charger that came with my small Cmax and I figured I would just use the charger that comes w/the truck and have the proper 230 volt installed, that's when all hell broke loose as the primary given information was incorrect thus we now have to change the breaker out from 40 amp to a 50 amp and rerun new #6 gauge wires and pull out 125 ft of gauge # 8. Costly.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I am referring to the charger that comes w/the truck which allows you to charge anywhere on either available voltage. I chose not to have the wall charger installed as I have been very content w/the charger that came with my small Cmax and I figured I would just use the charger that comes w/the truck and have the proper 230 volt installed, that's when all hell broke loose as the primary given information was incorrect thus we now have to change the breaker out from 40 amp to a 50 amp and rerun new #6 gauge wires and pull out 125 ft of gauge # 8. Costly.
Again, neither of those things are chargers, despite the fact that Ford and most people use the term incorrectly. The Ford Mobile Charger, which is the unit that you are trying to use will never draw more than 32A on a 240V connection unless it is defective. Other EVSEs are rated for up to 40A when connected to a 14-50 outlet and if you were to plug one of those in and connect it to your truck it would pull 40A but the one supplied by Ford will always be limited to 32A. To get the full 48A you need to hardwire the EVSE on a 60A circuit.

(I’m assuming your truck is SR, otherwise it can accept up to 80A but will still only draw what the EVSE offers, which again is 32A on the FMC)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The Ford Mobile Charger has been supplied by Ford for over 2-1/2 years. Many Mach-E owners have been fighting issues with it since day 1. Dozens of people have measured charging current and no one has ever reported more than 32A. Most report about 30A.

@RickLightning previously reported that the dongle he got with his truck derates the FMC even further so that it can be operated from the ProPower inverter. The derated dongle has a yellow marking on it.

I think that dealer is either misinformed, or blowing smoke.

ETA - the error state of you FMC has nothing to do with a 40A vs 50A circuit. The EVSE can’t tell the difference.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
New chapter in the charging issue. Mt electrician did exactly what Ford was recommending, ran 8 gauge wires from the breaker box, grounded properly & the breaker is 40 Amps. Still not charging so on Friday morning I went to Galpin Ford to have them check the charger and see if it would charge at their facility. After 2.5 hrs wait, the service advisor told me that all was well w/the charger and the tests were negative for any issues. I called my electrician to return and have him re-check all the electrical at the recently installed 230 volt/grounded outlet. The power was fine, and again when we plugged the charger in; it went from blue to red & stayed on orange. At this point, we are pulling our hair out. He decides to drive back to Galpin and discuss the issue. Come to find out, Galpin did not have a plug to test my charger with, this charger has 4 prongs. This means that their test was incomplete & they basically lied to me when I asked it they had fully tested at all levels up to level 3, which they confirmed they had. They told my electrician to drive to another dealer, approximately 15 miles away in North Hollywood as they have the outlet which can take the 4 prongs. Then...it gets better....the service advisor told my electrician that apparently there now is a "class action lawsuit" because the truck documentation states the charger pulls 32 Amps & that a 40 Amp breaker is sufficient. WRONG, the charger pulls up to 44 AMPS and a 50 Amp breaker is the minimum, and wires to the outlet should be gauge # 6, not # 8 which is what was installed based on the previous information. Any idea how much this "hit/how" is costing me? The electrician is coming back tomorrow to replace the breaker + pull 125ft of new wires. Ford is going to hear from me....In the meantime, I have a beautiful truck sitting on empty with less than 500 miles.
You should STOP. The charger doesn't pull 44 amps. Ford does not specify wire size. And, there is no class action suit anyone has knowledge of here.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
We had a 40 amp breaker & it is a 50 amp breaker that is needed. Ford totally misinformed me & my electrician. It pulls more than 32 amp, up to 44 reason the 40 amp breaker needs to be changed out.
False.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Taking information from ignorant dealer service staff is 99.8% of the problem here.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.