• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reset LVB to start receiving updates?

Poorpilot

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mach-e Premium
Hey there,
I wanted to see if anyone has unhooked the LVB to see if it would trigger updates to start downloading? I purchased my 22 Lightning used with 1700 miles. The last update it received was 3.5.4. I have good ATT coverage and the Mach-e is Parked next to the f150 and it is constantly downloading updates. I saw some talk of unhooking the LVB to reset the system(but wasnt sure if that was for downloads or installs), but wanted to see if anyone actually had luck with this fixing the problem. I called Ford and they said that there are no updates pending . I dont have PAAK nor the new UI. My truck was originally a June delivery it looks like. Thanks
Sponsored

alanack

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y-2022, F150 Platinum-2018
Hey there,
I wanted to see if anyone has unhooked the LVB to see if it would trigger updates to start downloading? I purchased my 22 Lightning used with 1700 miles. The last update it received was 3.5.4. I have good ATT coverage and the Mach-e is Parked next to the f150 and it is constantly downloading updates. I saw some talk of unhooking the LVB to reset the system(but wasnt sure if that was for downloads or installs), but wanted to see if anyone actually had luck with this fixing the problem. I called Ford and they said that there are no updates pending . I dont have PAAK nor the new UI. My truck was originally a June delivery it looks like. Thanks
I have tried LVB reset multiple times. . Just did it again tonight. It didn’t do anything. I am also on 3.5.4. Update pending. My software update page in the truck doesn’t have any settings for scheduling etc.….nothing. Just says that I have update pending but no way to make it happen, schedule it, turn on/off auto updates
no PAAK, MAY 30 Build.
Feb 3 was when I finally updated to 3.5.4
i have full att coverage, had Wi-Fi access point installed next to where truck is parked. Plug it in most nights.

Ford F-150 Lightning Reset LVB to start receiving updates? E12D5858-522C-45B8-A738-88251D2EA6BB

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Hey there,
So there's actually more you should do to attempt to get it to update. I'd say one of the most helpful for me has been a Bluetooth OBDII dongle which has allowed me to precisely monitor the truck's perceived 12V battery state of charge.

But regardless of if you have a dongle and an app to allow you to monitor it, there are steps you can take to greatly improve your odds of updates installing properly. It all relates to the 12V battery:

1. Start the truck, disable the Power down timer and let it run for at least an hour, but longer is even better.
- this charges the 12V battery. As stupid as it is, the truck seems to not maintain the 12V battery above 75% when not running. The "major" updates like the DTE require 90%+ SOC on the 12V battery before they'll even attempt.

2. Reset the 12V BMS. Contrary to conventional wisdom, simply disconnecting the 12V doesn't reset the BMS. It actually requires a specific procedure. But good news no scan tool needed.
A. Turn the truck on to accessory mode (press the start button without depressing the brake pedal)

B. Pull the lefthand steering column stalk back five times in succession to flash the high beams.

C. Depress the brake pedal three times in succession.

D. Look closely after the dash where the 12V battery icon is in the bottom right corner. After 5-10 seconds it should flash several times. Your BMS now reset!

3. Disconnect the 12V battery. After the BMS is reset, sometimes some issues can crop up, potentially due to some disparity between stored values and the current BMS data so after starting the truck post BMS reset for at least 10 minutes, disconnecting the negative terminal, waiting 5-10 minutes and reconnecting can solve those issues.

After these procedures, go ahead and try to manually initiate the update and see what happens! It still might take a couple attempts, but you'll definitely have a way better chance of success!

Hope this helps!

OP
OP

Poorpilot

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mach-e Premium
So there's actually more you should do to attempt to get it to update. I'd say one of the most helpful for me has been a Bluetooth OBDII dongle which has allowed me to precisely monitor the truck's perceived 12V battery state of charge.

But regardless of if you have a dongle and an app to allow you to monitor it, there are steps you can take to greatly improve your odds of updates installing properly. It all relates to the 12V battery:

1. Start the truck, disable the Power down timer and let it run for at least an hour, but longer is even better.
- this charges the 12V battery. As stupid as it is, the truck seems to not maintain the 12V battery above 75% when not running. The "major" updates like the DTE require 90%+ SOC on the 12V battery before they'll even attempt.

2. Reset the 12V BMS. Contrary to conventional wisdom, simply disconnecting the 12V doesn't reset the BMS. It actually requires a specific procedure. But good news no scan tool needed.
A. Turn the truck on to accessory mode (press the start button without depressing the brake pedal)

B. Pull the lefthand steering column stalk back five times in succession to flash the high beams.

D. Look closely after the dash where the 12V battery icon is in the bottom right corner. After 5-10 seconds it should flash several times. Your BMS now reset!

3. Disconnect the 12V battery. After the BMS is reset, sometimes some issues can crop up, potentially due to some disparity between stored values and the current BMS data so after starting the truck post BMS reset for at least 10 minutes, disconnecting the negative terminal, waiting 5-10 minutes and reconnecting can solve those issues.

After these procedures, go ahead and try to manually initiate the update and see what happens! It still might take a couple attempts, but you'll definitely have a way better chance of success!

Hope this helps!
I will give it a shot but it doesn’t look like my truck hasnt even downloaded anything to install. All ford connected functions seem to work otherwise

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

alanack

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y-2022, F150 Platinum-2018

Hope this helps!
i connected the LVB to a battery charger for a few hours. I followed the reset procedure. The pending update has completed overnight. This happened automatically, I still don’t have access to any type of settings within “Software Updates” to manually initiate an update.
thank you for sharing this procedure.

Ford F-150 Lightning Reset LVB to start receiving updates? 4C58EC2F-B63D-47E1-BC3E-141A49548884

Ford F-150 Lightning Reset LVB to start receiving updates? 45C6EB99-7B32-46EC-9C09-2E6749A675B2

Ford F-150 Lightning Reset LVB to start receiving updates? 7840B552-99EB-4500-AB41-A27F6CBA0D69

Ford F-150 Lightning Reset LVB to start receiving updates? D8E8AB8E-8B5B-4B6F-A0F7-AEA20F52178D

Rbert

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla model S
This is all BS! Ford needs to make updates happen under normal driving conditions, without having to go through a 12 step program! My 2022 Lightning Lariat has tried to update software more 10 times over the 6 days, none were successful. I have auto updates on, 6 auto try’s and I tried several manual downloads none were successful. Called Ford, they say it’s a battery condition issue. They recommend driving around to charge up the battery or take it to the dealer. I call BS on Ford. My Tesla updates regularly without any issues. If updates fail, Ford messaging should tell me why it failed. All I get is a message that the update download failed and to try again.