• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian Adopting Tesla NACS Charging Standard Too!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yup - I am signed up for updates from Rivian and just got the e-mail. CCS seems destined for the dust bin of history.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just saw this, it's a win-win. We get a better plug plus we get more competition to drive reliability on non-Tesla chargers and price for Tesla charging. Tesla is willing to cut price on their cars to dominate, once more NACS competing chargers come online they will cut price on SC's to dominate there too.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Again, it’s not the plug that’s the issue. I wish these Charging companies would understand that.

I understand why the manufacturers are doing it, they have no interest in building their own charging network, so just let Tesla handle it.

EA, ChargePoint, EVgo Better get their shit together CCS or not. No point in changing if they keep offering same crap service on their chargers.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This will make the decision to trade the Lightning in for an R1T Max Pack a little easier. We need that extra range for towing!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This will make the decision to trade the Lightning in for an R1T Max Pack a little easier. We need that extra range for towing!
I think the Rivian is a very slick truck, but every time I think I could get away with something a little smaller, something happens that makes me realize that isn't in the cards right now. On Sunday, the robotics team I coach hosted a booth at a local fair. By the time I was done loading stuff to bring for it, I had the bed full, the Frunk full, and most of the rear seat full. Just barely had enough room to fit me and my 2 kids!

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Again, it’s not the plug that’s the issue. I wish these Charging companies would understand that.

I understand why the manufacturers are doing it, they have no interest in building their own charging network, so just let Tesla handle it.

EA, ChargePoint, EVgo Better get their shit together CCS or not. No point in changing is they keep offering same crap service on their chargers.
I've wondered for quite some time if the EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, etc. charging network support issues are a result of how the federal incentives for building the charging network are structured. Currently the incentives are for building a network rather than for maintaining a reliable charging network. If the incentives were issued such that you only get a significant percentage of the incentives when you run a reliable network then we probably wouldn't have the crap results.

Tesla is different as they figured out at the beginning the best way to sell overpriced EV's is give the car owners a less painful ownership experience.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I said this was going to happen, once the NACS to CCS1 adapter was available it would be available to all CCS EV models but so many people disagreed. As far as NACS taking over, NACS has more plugs but CCS1 has more locations and it’s not clear that NACS can withstand the scrutiny of structured industry testing the way CCS1 has.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I said this was going to happen, once the NACS to CCS1 adapter was available it would be available to all CCS EV models but so many people disagreed.
Being available is not the same thing as having access to the network. You can knock, but unless you know the password, you ain't getting in. What good is the adapter if you still can't authenticate at a SC?

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
The CCS1 handle/plug is also an issue. It uses a latch on the charging handle that frequently breaks. Older EA chargers have two handles to help mitigate downtime due to this or malfunctioning temp sensors. The weight of the combined CCS1 handle/liquid cooled cable is also unwieldy enough for many to properly affix the charging handle to their vehicle.
CCS2 (Europe) is a better than CCS1 as it eliminates the need for a latch.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've wondered for quite some time if the EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, etc. charging network support issues are a result of how the federal incentives for building the charging network are structured. Currently the incentives are for building a network rather than for maintaining a reliable charging network. If the incentives were issued such that you only get a significant percentage of the incentives when you run a reliable network then we probably wouldn't have the crap results.

Tesla is different as they figured out at the beginning the best way to sell overpriced EV's is give the car owners a less painful ownership experience.
The $7.5B requires 97% uptime and they must report data, so a company like EA (if EA were eligible, which they are not), wouldn't get a f'in dime.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
I think the Rivian is a very slick truck, but every time I think I could get away with something a little smaller, something happens that makes me realize that isn't in the cards right now. On Sunday, the robotics team I coach hosted a booth at a local fair. By the time I was done loading stuff to bring for it, I had the bed full, the Frunk full, and most of the rear seat full. Just barely had enough room to fit me and my 2 kids!
I have an R1T, and the size of the backseat is the biggest disappointment. The truck is almost as wide as an F150 Lightning, but it has 8" less hip room.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Being available is not the same thing as having access to the network. You can knock, but unless you know the password, you ain't getting in. What good is the adapter if you still can't authenticate at a SC?
Anyone that creates an account and has a credit card on file will be able to access the SC network with a CCS1 adapter. The gate will be left opened and all the cows will get out.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone that creates an account and has a credit card on file will be able to access the SC network with a CCS1 adapter. The gate will be left opened and all the cows will get out.
Ok, then explain why Ford had to make a deal for us to gain access and why that access is to only v3 SC's?

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, then explain why Ford had to make a deal for us to gain access and why that access is to only v3 SC's?
Ford wants us to think we have to use Ford Pass to access the SCs, they did the same thing with EA Pass+. V3 is probably because of Plug and Charge but Plug and Charge is not a Ford proprietary feature. Some software changes can probably overcome the V3 restrictions allowing cars without Plug and Charge to SC and EVs with Plug and Charge to use other than V3 SCs.

I don’t think that V3 restriction is going to last very long at all. When non-Tesla EVs start trying to SC there are going to be many, many people trying SC at non-V3 SCs and the complaints about Supercharging will go through the roof. Tesla will either have to give access to non-V3 SCs or watch their satisfaction ratings plummet.

This also brings up a lot of questions about all the other service providers that will be installing NACS plugs. Will the NACS to CCS adapters work with all these non-Tesla chargers? Will only Plug and Charge EVs be able to charge using the adapter?

Personally I think it’s going to be a mess and I’m a long way from considering NACS adoption progress.
Sponsored

Last edited: