• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rodent damage

BarryB

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S550 Tesla X Range Rover
A few days ago every safety system stopped working and I got non-stop fault warnings: No ABS, no blind spot monitors, no collision avoidance, no rear cross alert, etc etc. Today dealer found “rodent damage” visible in area above LF wheel once they opened up front trunk housing. So far damage is about a grand, but they’re still testing things. I live on a ranch so critters are to be expected but it’s disappointing. Only 4K on the Lightning. Years ago same thing happened to my S550 and Mercedes said put scented Bounce dryer sheets around engine compartment. It seemed to work. I hate the smell of those things and I guess rats do too. Ugh.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Had the same thing happen to my brand new 2022 Maverick. In my case it was rabbits. At that time I was parking in my RV bay which is open on all sides.

I was fortunate to have a top notch local mechanic that repaired the damage that day and wouldn’t let me pay a dime.

I subsequently wrapped all the exposed wires in a chew proof material and sprayed the undercarriage with a rust proofing product that was said to repel the little buggers. I also put the dryer sheets in the engine bay just in case.

I now have a garage at the house for the Lightning which is inside the boundary of my two PitOxers. I sleep well at night. 😊

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
A few days ago every safety system stopped working and I got non-stop fault warnings: No ABS, no blind spot monitors, no collision avoidance, no rear cross alert, etc etc. Today dealer found “rodent damage” visible in area above LF wheel once they opened up front trunk housing. So far damage is about a grand, but they’re still testing things. I live on a ranch so critters are to be expected but it’s disappointing. Only 4K on the Lightning. Years ago same thing happened to my S550 and Mercedes said put scented Bounce dryer sheets around engine compartment. It seemed to work. I hate the smell of those things and I guess rats do too. Ugh.
Hobbit ford?

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
This is my greatest fear. Currently I an placing lights on top of the front tires at night and using critter ridder or cayenne pepper/chilli pepper flakes around the vehicle. Drywr sheets dont last long - I found one I had placed in the wifes car chewed up after a week. I am trying to trap the ground squirrels but the crummy live trap isnt working right and fails to drop on them.

Ultimely Id like to have a station of lights I drive into (in the garage or outside) aimed at the tires where i have seen them enter the vehicle. The wife has vetoed getting cats (sigh) so I am stuck with other deterrents. The last resort will.be the ground grid electric shock system. That is very pricy (so are repairs I know) and will require pavers in the gravel to keep it stable at least where you roll over it per the manufacturer.

so far the lights and repellents are working to the extent that I dont see evidence of them climbing on the tires and suspension. But Im not confident. I need to get that trap working

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Bummer.

I couldn't stand scented dryer sheets - I have banned them from my home!
When the neighbors use them, I can't stand to be outside downwind of their dryer vent, and close my windows.

Instead I use "Critter Ridder" spray on my 2001 ICE Ranger after some rodents chewed up my fuel pump and some of the connecting lines, and cost me $800 at my local garage - the mechanic gave me the old fuel pump the the rodents chewed the thing up pretty bad - the Ford Dealership would probably have been twice that. They want close to $100 just to look at the thing and diagnose the issue which showed up as a gas cap error on my OBD - gas cap was fine but the pressure line had been chewed up so the sensor reported a loose gas cap.

The smell is sort of spicy. And of course with rain and time the smell and the effectiveness fade, so have to reapply after a couple weeks or so. But so far it seems to have done the trick. Sold on-line and at big box hardware stores.

BTW, it was the second fuel pump issue I had with the Ranger - the first one failed one summer when the tank was low on fuel - the Ford mechanic said they can overheat when driving on fumes so to speak.

By contrast I have had ZERO problems with my 2012 Nissan Leaf, and no oil changes, or other ICE related maintenance - just a battery check every year for the first 7 years to maintain the warranty on the battery, which the Nissan dealership gave me for free. Great for local driving, but lacks the utility of a pick-up truck bed - really wanted to replace the Leaf and the Ranger for an EV pick-up but the price jump turned me off to the Lightning so I didn't follow through with an order...the recent $2k price drop didn't move me either.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I use moth balls in my boat over the winter. Seems to work to keep the mice away but breathing their fumes is not healthy for people.
Sponsored