• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Running house AC from truck during Peak hours

OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
We are in SD also, and use 2 x power walls to do exactly this. Even with 2 PWs, with a max output of 7.6 kW each, it was not enough to turn our AC compressors over. We had to also install soft-starts in both units. I don't think the truck will have enough amps to get things started.

With the PWs, we now never pull from the grid during the 4-9pm peak. We use the dedicated batteries to 'peak-shave'.

p.,s. SDGE peak on EV-TOU-5 is now $0.81 / kwh :)

OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
We are in SD also, and use 2 x power walls to do exactly this. Even with 2 PWs, with a max output of 7.6 kW each, it was not enough to turn our AC compressors over. We had to also install soft-starts in both units. I don't think the truck will have enough amps to get things started.

With the PWs, we now never pull from the grid during the 4-9pm peak. We use the dedicated batteries to 'peak-shave'.

and the two power walls cost roughly what to buy and install?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

Do you notice any difference in the AC using soft start? Half the reason I'm justifying the Lightning is to be able to run AC in the summer if a monsoon knocks out power. So this is very good information your sharing, thanks!

Sponsored

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
and the two power walls cost roughly what to buy and install?
Not cheap, but neither is the HIS!

We paid 25k all-in after incentives for 2 x PW + 8 kW solar, 0.99% 10yr loan !
I am hoping that at some point tesla offers a V2G adapter plugin for powerwall/solar owners that can leverage the already installed equipment.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do you notice any difference in the AC using soft start? Half the reason I'm justifying the Lightning is to be able to run AC in the summer if a monsoon knocks out power. So this is very good information your sharing, thanks!
I don't, all i know is that now it takes less amps to start. Something like a 70% reduction. If we turn off the grid connection, the two powerwalls can now start both 3TON A/C without any issue. Before they would just buzz and do nothing :). Tesla installed the devices for no extra charge. I think they cost something like $300-$400 each if you were to do this on your own. The install looked easy though (<15 mins).

Last edited:

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Not cheap, but neither is the HIS!

We paid 25k all-in after incentives for 2 x PW + 8 kW solar, 0.99% 10yr loan !
I am hoping that at some point tesla offers a V2G adapter plugin for powerwall/solar owners that can leverage the already installed equipment.

HIS is about 10k installed from SR, but I still woundn't work with Sun Run. I Have an indy guy installing my HIS and his friends HIS. I plan on passing his info around here as he'll likely be the SD guy to install a HIS without sun run soon.

It's important to remember Ford hasn't permitted energy arbitrage yet in the Ford app for the HIS. But they do have plans to do so according to their press release and expos, in 2023

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I don't, all i know is that now it takes less amps to start. Something like a 70% reduction. If we turn off the grid connection, the two powerwalls can now start both 3TON A/C without any issue. Before they would just buzz and do nothing :). Tesla installed the devices for no extra charge. I think they cost something like $300-$400 each if you were to do this on your own. The install looked easy though (<15 mins).
I'm definitely adding this to my list of things to get when I install my backup system. Thanks!

Sponsored

jk340

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yes, Ive got a 10KW system already. I like the idea of tesla wall but I don't see how it would pay for itself.
Making the numbers work for you definitely depends on your situation, home construction, and environment.

For us one big concern we have is losing power. We have had at least 3 power outages a year the last 2-3 years. Some lasting upwards of 48 hours. We work from home, so no power directly impacts our income.

The Powerwalls also prevent having to buy power at the peak summer rates. In the warmer months we pre-cool the house by setting the thermostat down from approximately 11 AM-3PM and running the A/C with electricity produced from solar. We also have enough excess solar power during this period to fill the Powerwalls. Then at 3 PM until 8 PM which is our peak rate period, we run the house off the Powerwalls. The house does warm up during that time, but usually not enough to need the A/C so power consumption is minimal. The net is we don't consume grid power during these high-rate times. Our electrical bills have dropped from near $600/mo. in the summer and early fall to $10/mo. or so to cover the grid connection. We also usually send enough power back to the grid to cover most of the electrical power we consume in the late Fall and winter.

A few of considerations. We do have gas heating. We considered switching to heat pumps, but that greatly increases electrical consumption during winter when solar production is poor. A second item is we have upgraded the insulation throughout the house which has helped create a fairly tight thermal environment. We are in the inland part of the SF Bay Area. Winter temperatures range from upper 20s at night to mid 60s in day. In Summer we range from 50s at night to 110 on very hot evenings.

Last edited:

jk340

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We have one of these devices and it seems to work well. It lets our 4+ ton A/C start when under battery power. It just comes up to speed a little slower. Ours was included as part of a Tesla installation.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
I would say that you should install Solar if you have not already ($0.58/KW o_O) and install a HIS at the same time and write off the install fees as a part of your financing. Has to be cheaper than that... This brings up a question as to whether or not the HIS is something you can write off as a part of that system. I believe it is since it has a BDI for solar in it. It may also depend on if you are using the BDI with solar.
Sponsored