• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sad Day, our great new Lightning is physically a bad fit for garage ... (dumb dumb dumb)

OP
OP
TTT

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt
I'd park it outside in the driveway if I had one, but the garage door opens to the street which is a fire lane. I used to park my Bolt in the driveway and run the charge cord under the door all the time, that was the plan when I ordered the truck at the old house.

I see where you're going with the 4x4 now...
Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OK, one more idea, inspired by the German Shepard who has a pig that he carries around like his best friend. One or more of these on the wall near the bumper will alert you you've gone far enough. They come in assorted colors.

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
I actually prefer using the backup camera to position in the garage. If I needed to position exactly, Iā€™d mark a line on the floor that would just come in to view of the rear camera as I pulled in.
This is what I do, had put a piece of tape on garage floor where I want rear of truck to clear and watch on 360 cam. My situation is tight but not that tight I think itā€™s approx 1.5ft extra beyond truck length.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This is what I do, had put a piece of tape on garage floor where I want rear of truck to clear and watch on 360 cam. My situation is tight but not that tight I think itā€™s approx 1.5ft extra beyond truck length.
I still prefer the view from the backup camera to the 360 when parking.

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
I'd park it outside in the driveway if I had one, but the garage door opens to the street which is a fire lane. I used to park my Bolt in the driveway and run the charge cord under the door all the time, that was the plan when I ordered the truck at the old house.

I see where you're going with the 4x4 now...
Iā€™ve set this up for someone to park far back against a garage door. Would light up red when beams broken & beep at you until vehicle clears the beams, assuming itā€™s set up right. Downside is itā€™s battery only, might be a pain to position it on wall where the beams are ā€˜justā€™ behind the door rails. Used cigarette lighter adapter to put the light/noisemaker on a wall plug instead of in vehicle. Probably have to look elsewhere online for it, an example below.

Maybe use in conjunction w 4x4, laser, & no hold/creep others mentioned, turn it into a one person park job. Good luck, hope you find a viable solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Daddy-PDY-100-AA-2-Vehicle-Precision-Maximize/dp/B01ATUHAOE

Sponsored

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I've got about 7" to spare in my garage. For something a little simpler (no wiring to hook up) than the laser solution, I went with this and it has worked well for me. The base is about 5" wide so probably wouldn't work well if you have less than 3-4" total clearance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091Q46ZYW
(It was $24 when I purchased, not sure why it's $44 now)

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Another option that is available is outswing garage doors. You free up 10"-16" of space by mounting the doors to the outside. It's a bit of money but it removes the tracks and hangers on the side and gives your garage more usable square footage.

Option, doesn't mean it's right for you.
I literally back my F150 6.5' bed within 1" of the back wall or the closing garage door will scrape the entire front.

The Hitch and back up camera views allow a years worth of parking with zero accidents to date.

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
OPs garage looks deeper than mine, I swapped with my wife so Iā€™m on the far side now so itā€™s not a huge obstacle.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
WIth front bumper an inch from the wall, I have 9 inches behind the truck.

OPs garage looks deeper than mine, I swapped with my wife so Iā€™m on the far side now so itā€™s not a huge obstacle.
I had to swap spaces with the wife too, so she didn't have to walk outside to go around my truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Dude, mine is the SAME EXACT way. I laid down a 2x4 board, and use it to stop me, and let it roll back to ease the tension. The garage door closes just fine, but is inches away. you get used to it! It's not a problem!
FVkpBm3XoAIm9fh.jpg
Same for me. I fancied up my 2x4 and bought a couple parking blocks from Lowes for $13 each (which isnā€™t far off from lumber nowadays).

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Iā€™ve set this up for someone to park far back against a garage door. Would light up red when beams broken & beep at you until vehicle clears the beams, assuming itā€™s set up right. Downside is itā€™s battery only, might be a pain to position it on wall where the beams are ā€˜justā€™ behind the door rails. Used cigarette lighter adapter to put the light/noisemaker on a wall plug instead of in vehicle. Probably have to look elsewhere online for it, an example https://www.amazon.com/Park-Daddy-PDY-100-AA-2-Vehicle-Precision-Maximize/dp/B01ATUHAOE
I use this system too and itā€™s the best Iā€™ve found. Iā€™m an EE and have rigged all kinds of beam breakers and sonar distance doodads but the Park Daddy works flawlessly. I did ditch the batteries and got a couple of DC adapters to hardwire it. Bonus is it works for both vehicles on a double garage when you use the cigarette adapter and put the display unit on the front wall. Too bad Amazon doesnā€™t sell it anymore. I do have 7 inches (garage floor is 239 inches) though and it stops me right in the middle. If you only have 2 inches then may not work.

Last edited:

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I use this system too and itā€™s the best Iā€™ve found. Iā€™m an EE and have rigged all kinds of beam breakers and sonar distance doodads but the Park Daddy works flawlessly. I did ditch the batteries and got a couple of DC adapters to hardwire it. Bonus is it works for both vehicles on a double garage when you use the cigarette adapter and put the display unit on the front wall. Too bad Amazon doesnā€™t sell it anymore. I do have 7 inches (garage floor is 239 inches) though and it stops me right in the middle. If you only have 2 inches then may not work.
Thanks for posting this. Looks like a good solution. If you think about the major failure mode it's the garage door coming down on the bed. Second, if the batteries were to stop working you know because the whole way in the unit is red only to turn green and unsound when in safe zone. You also don't need to look at it with the sound.

I think it does not hurt to have a little bump on the floor so that if you come in more aggressively or your reaction time or hearing is not as good due to attending all night loud raves (no thank you!) it provides some friction to slow the roll. If you have alot of space up front probably not an issue, but for very short distance could be advisable. I have a few feet so the garage door coming down too close would be my priority.

I picked a new unit up on ebay from the manufacturer, last one. His website says more coming soon. Here is link, there is a notification list.

https://invis-a-beam.com/park-daddy

I'm very impressed with the creativity of this thread. In life when you meet an obstacle, if it is important to you, engineer a fix because life is filled with obstacles.

This weekend we go back to the moon. As a kid the Apollo missions was a great inspiration for me to study science and engineering. I hope it inspires my grandkids as well. What is very depressing in these times is how everyone focuses on the trivial things that separate us vs the common traits that allow us to achieve great things together, including how not to wreck our lightnings parking in a short garage. We need new leaders and stop the hate. The media income stream thrives on hate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-update...-mission-how-to-watch-live-stream-2022-09-03/

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Iā€™ve set this up for someone to park far back against a garage door. Would light up red when beams broken & beep at you until vehicle clears the beams, assuming itā€™s set up right. Downside is itā€™s battery only, might be a pain to position it on wall where the beams are ā€˜justā€™ behind the door rails. Used cigarette lighter adapter to put the light/noisemaker on a wall plug instead of in vehicle. Probably have to look elsewhere online for it, an example below.

Maybe use in conjunction w 4x4, laser, & no hold/creep others mentioned, turn it into a one person park job. Good luck, hope you find a viable solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Daddy-PDY-100-AA-2-Vehicle-Precision-Maximize/dp/B01ATUHAOE
We have this system, too. The D batteries last a long time and I think we've only had to replace them once in the 2 years we've had it.
Sponsored