• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Should I add Max Tow and ProPower to my XLT SR?

DH0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning (Wave 3 Order)
Hi All,

Maybe a silly question, but I could use some help since this will be my first truck. I placed an order for an XLT SR in Wave 3 with no options except for the spray-in bedliner. I am now second guessing my order, thinking about adding the MaxTow package and 9.6 kW ProPower (about $2K total).

We don't plan to tow much with it and the base 2.4 kW ProPower should satisfy most of our needs (unless we decide to spring for a home backup system, but that would require some major electrical upgrades to our home). I guess I mainly wonder whether the absence of these options could substantially decrease resale (i.e. by more than $2k) so much that it's worth adding them regardless. It's very likely that we'll upgrade again in a year or two once more EV truck/SUV options are available.
Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Hi All,

Maybe a silly question, but I could use some help since this will be my first truck. I placed an order for an XLT SR in Wave 3 with no options except for the spray-in bedliner. I am now second guessing my order, thinking about adding the MaxTow package and 9.6 kW ProPower (about $2K total).

We don't plan to tow much with it and the base 2.4 kW ProPower should satisfy most of our needs (unless we decide to spring for a home backup system, but that would require some major electrical upgrades to our home). I guess I mainly wonder whether the absence of these options could substantially decrease resale (i.e. by more than $2k) so much that it's worth adding them regardless. It's very likely that we'll upgrade again in a year or two once more EV truck/SUV options are available.
It has been speculated on here that the max tow package is a larger cooling system. In another thread I think it was mentioned that on the ICE F150 MaxTow includes stiffer suspension and beefier brakes, which to me sounds like a stealth performance upgrade. I haven't found any source of info to confirm this will be true for the Lightning MaxTow yet but if so 4-5 sec 0-60 time (ER-SR) coupled with quicker stopping power sounds like a good option to take and would add to the resale value.

You can have Intelligent home backup without the 9kW ProPower Onboard, but given how expensive that system is going to be to install by contracting with SunRun (especially with the extra cost for SR buyers), I'm thinking of going the low budget "home backup" route of getting the 9kW ProPower onboard and using a 240v extension cord to hook up to a generator manual transfer switch. Won't be automatic but will cost a lot less.

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
I was initially dead set on getting the max tow for my XLT But now I think I’m going to go without it. It’s supposed to include additional cooling but not really sure if that cooling is always operational or just if the battery temperature increases due to towing, etc.

You may have already done this but take a look at the spreadsheet of the orders placed and quite a few are without the max tow.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I think you are fine without the Max Tow.

I did order max tow on my XLT. My reasoning was feeling more confident with the extra cooling capacity on hot days, with a load (not necessarily with a trailer) and extended steep hills.

It would be nice if Ford would outline exactly what comes with Max Tow other than the extra cooling capacity. There has been speculation but no confirmation about other bits.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

I think you are fine without the Max Tow.

I did order max tow on my XLT. My reasoning was feeling more confident with the extra cooling capacity on hot days, with a load (not necessarily with a trailer) and extended steep hills.

It would be nice if Ford would outline exactly what comes with Max Tow other than the extra cooling capacity. There has been speculation but no confirmation about other bits.
Yeah the website sucks in general with details on some things. Nevermind the damn package code numbers instead of names for added confusion. I love when you get a message like “ you must remove 321x to add this“. Wtf was 321X?!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I would add it just so you have more capacity for the manual home back up others outlined, that's how I will be doing it too.

BTW, have you considered going ER for the extra range and backup power capacity?

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Hi All,

I'm in same boat for my Wave 1 pro order. I added it on initially, but since there was no clarity about what the max tow actually was on the side, i took it off right before submitting order. I was contemplating going back to dealer to add it on, but I'm not taking the risk of dealer changing his mind and adding ADM because of a change. One guy on here changed his paint color and the dealer used it as an opportunity to redo the order and add $4k ADM. No way I'm taking a chance of messing ANYTHING up at this point.

One thing I see is you added the spray-in bedliner. From what I hear, the factory bedliner is adding a huge delay for Mavericks.. idk if it will cause same problems with the lightning orders (whether the maverick delay is a material delay or too many orders for it they can't keep up). But many of us left it off intentionally and will have it done after-market. The conundrum for you is taking it off is the same as adding on the Max Tow- you're changing your order. So if you're gonna take the risk, might wanna rethink the bedliner if you don't wanna chance any delays.

OP
OP

DH0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning (Wave 3 Order)
I trust my dealer not to add ADM. They've been very straightforward throughout the whole process.

Interesting info about the Maverick bedliner. I did a quick search and it looks like the issue is accidental drilling into the fuel tank during installation. Fortunately the Lightning doesn't have a fuel tank!

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
This is Los Angeles pricing...

Local Line-X quotes I got for the Lightning 5.7 bed is $750 for the Line-X Premium with the UV protection (glossier look, lasts/ looks newer longer). Includes the tailgate, even though I have the step and work surface. I want the tailgate areas not covered by the work surface sprayed.

$700 if I want to drive and hour+ to the next Line-X sprayer -$50 off.

Also Line-X have a Military Veteran discount, I didn't ask how much more that would take off.

Sponsored

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I trust my dealer not to add ADM. They've been very straightforward throughout the whole process.

Interesting info about the Maverick bedliner. I did a quick search and it looks like the issue is accidental drilling into the fuel tank during installation. Fortunately the Lightning doesn't have a fuel tank!
I would imagine drilling into a lithium battery pack could be much worse.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you want to know if bedliner will delay your order you need to track f150s made in Dearborn. Not the maverick. The maverick is made in Mexico.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Personally, I would get the max tow if ordering the SR because I want to be able to tow over 5k. However, I understand that a large percentage of these first gen trucks will never see a trailer of any sort attached.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Hi All,

I would configure the Pro with max tow and tow tech, because I expect to tow around 5,000 pounds short distances occasionally. The extra cooling with the max tow is supposed to help with cooling, so may mean shorter wait times when fast charging and some "insurance" so to speak, against battery overheating. Although I believe Ford took precautions to protect the battery since they warranty it for 7 yrs.

The 9.6 KW package includes the 120v outlets. I believe, you would get 30 amps max at 240v if you wanted to connect the outlet in the bed to a manual transfer switch.
Sponsored