• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"STUPID QUESTIONS "

First Name
Terr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Google
Occupation
RETIRED U.S.P.S.
Hi, everyone. Bought third hand 2022 Lariet back in August 23'. I need to set up wifi in the truck and other personal settings on the 15 inch screen. After putting in the pertinent information, there is no "enter" key.Where is the "enter" key? Second stupid question: do the brake lights come on when you take your foot off the accelerator peddle during one-pedal operation? LOVE THE TRUCK!
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Tapp outside the entry cell where you just input data

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Bottom right of the "keyboard" you'll find the enter key.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Second stupid question: do the brake lights come on when you take your foot off the accelerator peddle during one-pedal operation? LOVE THE TRUCK!
They should come on. If you want to confirm yourself, the taillights stick out from the body a bit, so you can see them come on in the side mirror, especially at night.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
They should come on. If you want to confirm yourself, the taillights stick out from the body a bit, so you can see them come on in the side mirror, especially at night.
“Yes, but…”

Depending on the speed you’re going this might not happen at first; they’re not so simple logically as ‘foot removed from pedal‘ –> turn on brake lights. They’re also dependent on accelerometer input to determine whether to light them up or not. If you take your foot off the pedal and slowly drop from 75-68 you’re not going to see them light up immediately because it coasts and softens that deceleration; but leave your foot off the pedal and as the rate of deceleration increases, the brake lights will come up.

I feel like trying to see your taillights as you coast is a very “first ev owner” thing to do as you adjust to the different experience!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
“Yes, but…”

Depending on the speed you’re going this might not happen at first; they’re not so simple logically as ‘foot removed from pedal‘ –> turn on brake lights. They’re also dependent on accelerometer input to determine whether to light them up or not. If you take your foot off the pedal and slowly drop from 75-68 you’re not going to see them light up immediately because it coasts and softens that deceleration; but leave your foot off the pedal and as the rate of deceleration increases, the brake lights will come up.

I feel like trying to see your taillights as you coast is a very “first ev owner” thing to do as you adjust to the different experience!
Good input. I'm not worried about it since I've owned 5 EVs that all work this way, but I noticed once that I could see the lights come on in the side view mirror and figured that might ease OP's concern.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
... had a state trooper pull me over for 'non-operational Brake lights'...

he was behind me the whole way thru town, about 6 different lights/intersections...

after he told me what the 'problem' was, I was helpful in letting him know that he saw no
brake lights, because, after all, I had never APPLIED the brakes...my regeneration in SPORT MODE
had brought me slow enough until the light changed to green, even though 'slow' was almost to
a stop... he just at first couldn't believe me, until I asked him to step back to the rear of the truck
and I would physically apply my brakes - and they instantly came ON.
He apologized, and also was happy to share this 'new' information with his trooper mates,
especially with a general meeting coming up soon. He appreciated the 'learning curve'.

Now, what this means is this:

A)Regeneration, on it's own, will NOT provide brake lighting, no matter what 'Mode' you are in,
and no matter how 'much' regeneration might happen.
B)Regeneration is NOT necessarily braking, it is simply slowing.

C)Brake Lights WILL activate when you physically apply them, of course.
D)Brake Lights WILL activate if one-pedal mode is active, AND the truck applies the brakes - but,
this is not everytime you remove your foot from the 'go' pedal, but only when the TRUCK applies
the brakes, if needed.
E)Brake Lights WILL activate if the 'ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL' setting requires it, due to closing in
on a car/vehicle in front of the truck, but, again, ONLY when the truck, itself, actually applies the
brakes, if needed.
F)Brake Lights WILL activate as long as the 'HOLD' feature is engaged

The easiest way to 'see' these braking lights happen is to drive at night, and have your driver
mirror pointed in somewhat toward your rear brake light module. You can try all of the above
situations to see how/when your brake lights function.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Since this is a stupid question thread, here is mine: has anyone noticed any settings that allows reducing or turning off regen? I mean other than sport mode, to control how much regen you get?

Rivin allows to turn an automatic feature that protects the batter in cold on or off. Lightning does not seem to do anything in cold to reduce regen so I am wondering if there is a manual way to reduce regen when it is really cold.

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " 1706223053974

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
no, nothing like that with the Lightning, though it could be a feature or software update in the future... some cars DO have this, whether a setting, a mode, or a 'paddle' on the wheel...
I use SPORT MODE exclusively, even when towing, because, after all, any 'Mode' you choose is simply
for your 'comfort' driving style... it has nothing to do with range or performance, etc. I like the
regeneration rate in SPORT MODE... it works for me - and, after all, I use my brakes a LOT less.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
... had a state trooper pull me over for 'non-operational Brake lights'...

he was behind me the whole way thru town, about 6 different lights/intersections...

after he told me what the 'problem' was, I was helpful in letting him know that he saw no
brake lights, because, after all, I had never APPLIED the brakes...my regeneration in SPORT MODE
had brought me slow enough until the light changed to green, even though 'slow' was almost to
a stop... he just at first couldn't believe me, until I asked him to step back to the rear of the truck
and I would physically apply my brakes - and they instantly came ON.
He apologized, and also was happy to share this 'new' information with his trooper mates,
especially with a general meeting coming up soon. He appreciated the 'learning curve'.

I read about a lot of Rivians getting rear ended. With four motors, their regen is very strong. That is one of the reasons I personally don't drive in Sport mode. Even in normal, I always check my mirror to make sure everything is OK when I slow down. The fact that police officer pulled you over, should be a sign for EV manufacturers that they may want to rethink their break light strategy.

no, nothing like that with the Lightning, though it could be a feature or software update in the future... some cars DO have this, whether a setting, a mode, or a 'paddle' on the wheel...
I use SPORT MODE exclusively, even when towing, because, after all, any 'Mode' you choose is simply
for your 'comfort' driving style... it has nothing to do with range or performance, etc. I like the
regeneration rate in SPORT MODE... it works for me - and, after all, I use my brakes a LOT less.
You are not alone, a lot of folks prefer sport mode. For me it is too jerky and slower stops keep my passengers and my rear bumper a bit more happy. I do use it on occasion when I am alone and it certainly is more fun. In the context of my question above however, faster regen that comes with sport mode does more damage to a cold battery. In normal mode when I go down hill and let go of the go pedal, The regen typically put 15KW back in the battery which is already 2.5 times my home charging rate. In sport mode, it will be more. Granted a hard break can put more than 130 KW into the battery but since Ford is not taking care of the battery, I try to do as much as I can.

I hope if Ford is having an update they have it sooner than later. Most lithium platings are irreversible.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Lightning does not seem to do anything in cold to reduce regen so I am wondering if there is a manual way to reduce regen when it is really cold.
IIRC, Tow mode substantially reduces regen, but also would impact your GOM predictions for range, maybe build a trailer profile for a very small single axle??
Sponsored

Last edited: