• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sync 4A - Are we stuck with deprecated technology already?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It's more complicated than switching out the APIM. Android Automotive apparently requires on-board network infrastructure that can't be easily retrofitted into existing vehicles, at least according to The Verge.
Thank you for the link, interesting listen. He has had access to Farley and others inside Ford. He notes as I suspected, insiders are now saying the Lighting will likely not get this upgrade in this incarnation, not even at the end of '23. I've always said they wouldn't get this done for the limited production they are going to get out of this design and their energy is focused on the new design.

He basically rips the GUI apart and he is spot on. The multitude of menus, the differences between "Controls" and "Settings", etc. The total lack of good use of all of the space of the front screen and use of old school symbols. They describe it as almost as if someone that had never seen it designed it.

Truly I'd hoped for more, but we know this is what we got and it is what it is for this generation of the truck.
Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Except for higher resale value. FSD enabled cars get more money than non-FSD enabled cars. You also had things like automated lane changes, summon etc during the ownership of the car that non-FSD cars did not have access to.
My biggest Tesla regret was I was fooled into buying FSD. I had the option of a FSD M3P at $68k or a Model S at $80k. I could not swing $90k for MS with FSD, it was out of my budget. I picked the M3P, cause the hype around FSD.

FSD has been kinda cool, but it has nearly zero resale value. Despite the $5k price increase of FSD, there has not been $5k in additional equity gained. The Model S I passed on is now a $105k car and worth well more than I would've paid for it.

I am a huge Tesla fan and love my M3P. But the moral of the story is i too was swindled with FSD, my option two that I passed over without FSD would've been much better. In the case of the Lightning, as long as early models continue to perform well mechanically, I don't see the switch to Android Auto adding much to resale value. This type of tech just doesn't hold value nearly as well as the other components of a vehicle. Tech evolves so quickly, even AA will be outdated after it comes out. Unless vehicles start to fly or teleport, a good ride will never go out of style.

Last edited:

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Ford is transitioning to Android Automotive starting with new vehicle launches or major refreshes in ā€˜23. I never expected it for the ā€˜23 Lightning. I figure the Lightning will get a bigger update in another year or two and then weā€™ll see it. Same with the Mach-e. Theyā€™re probably also lagging behind due to ongoing parts shortages.

That said, Sync is EOL. Itā€™s workable, but lame and sad. At least we can run CarPlay or AA on top. I have enough Fords with Sync 3, so at least I know what Iā€™m getting. The biggest new feature with Sync4 is better support for large screens.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford is transitioning to Android Automotive starting with new vehicle launches or major refreshes in ā€˜23. I never expected it for the ā€˜23 Lightning. I figure the Lightning will get a bigger update in another year or two and then weā€™ll see it. Same with the Mach-e. Theyā€™re probably also lagging behind due to ongoing parts shortages.

That said, Sync is EOL. Itā€™s workable, but lame and sad. At least we can run CarPlay or AA on top. I have enough Fords with Sync 3, so at least I know what Iā€™m getting. The biggest new feature with Sync4 is better support for large screens.
The ability for Carplay and Android Auto is huge though. If I ever had a Tesla (very unlikely), I would want to rip out the built in infotainment and put in something aftermarket that supports Android Auto. If that is even possible - I know you would lose a LOT of functionality.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Tesla left LR RWD owners behind a long time ago.

There this perception that Tesla wonā€™t make your car obsolete ā€¦ā€¦. I say, ask Model S owners about that and early Model 3 owners like myself.

As far as Sync 4, the system is great. It has greatly improved over time(former Sync 2 and 3 user). The other components of the vehicle will continue to get updates over time just not your infotainment.

As a former Tesla owner I always understood how Legacy auto Manu worked and do not expect them to follow Teslaā€™s lead as a tech company. Maybe itā€™s something I am just not really interested in. I mean they still havenā€™t fixed Ford Pass but we expect them to make improvements to the infotainment? Lol

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The ability for Carplay and Android Auto is huge though. If I ever had a Tesla (very unlikely), I would want to rip out the built in infotainment and put in something aftermarket that supports Android Auto. If that is even possible - I know you would lose a LOT of functionality.
It is interesting how we each approach and what we like and don't like. I loved Tesla's interface. I loved even more that they didn't cater to Apple and Android and let it taint their system in any way.

I've never had a system that was as accurate and as responsive as Tesla's. For navigation, for finding music, for any of it (my comparison is unfortunately Sync 2 and now 4A)

The only real thing I seem to get out of Carplay is Pandora and I streamed that just find in my 3 via Bluetooth.

There this perception that Tesla wonā€™t make your car obsolete ā€¦ā€¦. I say, ask Model S owners about that and early Model 3 owners like myself.

As far as Sync 4, the system is great. It has greatly improved over time(former Sync 2 and 3 user). The other components of the vehicle will continue to get updates over time just not your infotainment.

As a former Tesla owner I always understood how Legacy auto Manu worked and do not expect them to follow Teslaā€™s lead as a tech company. Maybe itā€™s something I am just not really interested in. I mean they still havenā€™t fixed Ford Pass but we expect them to make improvements to the infotainment? Lol
To date there isn't a single Model 3 or Y left behind. I've got a 3 LR RWD in the garage which had hardware updated to v3 when the other cars got it and it gets every update and FSD option any other 3 gets.

Even if you didn't have FSD and get the HW free of charge, at least there was an upgrade path and you could purchase it on your own to upgrade. I'm guessing you chose not to do that, and I respect that, but the car does have the capability to be upgraded and stay relevant with the stack.

That is not true with some older S's which had Mobileye hardware, they are forever stuck, but they still get some of the other software updates.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Not sure what you're talking about? If you paid for full FSD they're going to retrofit the car so it works when its released. Not to mention about a billion features your car has picked up since you bought it.
You mean if its released. My guess is NHTSA is going to have a thing or two to say about Full FSD being released publicly. The only way Elon can skirt the rules now is by calling it "beta" and saying its under testing. But hey, if you're comfortable givng Tesla an extra $10k for something that takes years to come to market(if ever)...good for you...

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I think for now you have to accept that any non Tesla EV you buy will have this issue of the company not caring about adding value to a product that has already been paid for; it's a way of thinking that almost every company has.

Ford and others say they want to compete against Tesla, and all of them focus on making a cool looking EV, big screens, high hp and ftlb numbers but they are always missing that thing that makes Teslas feel like they came from one mind..it may be a mind that doesn't know how to turn a wrench and thinks a crap load of shims to align a bumper cover is ok, but still a beautiful mind.

Some of us don't buy into the Tesla cult.

I buy a vehicle to drive, not to be part of a special social club.

No..Ford does not need to copy Tesla.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It is interesting how we each approach and what we like and don't like. I loved Tesla's interface. I loved even more that they didn't cater to Apple and Android and let it taint their system in any way.

I've never had a system that was as accurate and as responsive as Tesla's. For navigation, for finding music, for any of it (my comparison is unfortunately Sync 2 and now 4A)

The only real thing I seem to get out of Carplay is Pandora and I streamed that just find in my 3 via Bluetooth.

To date there isn't a single Model 3 or Y left behind. I've got a 3 LR RWD in the garage which had hardware updated to v3 when the other cars got it and it gets every update and FSD option any other 3 gets.

Even if you didn't have FSD and get the HW free of charge, at least there was an upgrade path and you could purchase it on your own to upgrade. I'm guessing you chose not to do that, and I respect that, but the car does have the capability to be upgraded and stay relevant with the stack.

That is not true with some older S's which had Mobileye hardware, they are forever stuck, but they still get some of the other software updates.

You are right, I chose not to drop more money on the 3. Software updates on the Lightning will continue even when Android comes along. There will be a point where itā€™s stops being updated but I also know that the truck isnā€™t dependent on Sync 4 being updated.

OP
OP

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf

What are you talking about? Every single Model 3 has recieved every single software update that the 2023's are currently getting. There are even hardware features that Tesla has offered retrofit kits available to original Model 3 owners. Heck they're even talking about offering a retrofit to the Ryzen based system; although it remains to be seen.

No one is asking for their car to last forever. But the current Sync system is pretty sore compared to the Android Auto system. I've played extensively with it on a Polestar; and compared to my Sync 4A it's a major upgrade with far more potential.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
What are you talking about? Every single Model 3 has recieved every single software update that the 2023's are currently getting. There are even hardware features that Tesla has offered retrofit kits available to original Model 3 owners. Heck they're even talking about offering a retrofit to the Ryzen based system; although it remains to be seen.

No one is asking for their car to last forever. But the current Sync system is pretty sore compared to the Android Auto system. I've played extensively with it on a Polestar; and compared to my Sync 4A it's a major upgrade with far more potential.
Receiving a software update that does nothing is not impressive. The last meaningful update I received in my Model 3 before getting rid of it was the 5% increase in power. Since then its only been fart sounds and UI downgrades.

Which is why Ford is moving to AA? I donā€™t expect Ford to offer an upgrade and honestly wouldnā€™t want that upgrade to begin with. Now if we are talking about range and power upgrades, that is a different story.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Since then its only been fart sounds and UI downgrades.
Those sounds are a myth, it's just drivers trying to pass the blame.

šŸ¤£

OP
OP

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
Receiving a software update that does nothing is not impressive. The last meaningful update I received in my Model 3 before getting rid of it was the 5% increase in power. Since then its only been fart sounds and UI downgrades.

Which is why Ford is moving to AA? I donā€™t expect Ford to offer an upgrade and honestly wouldnā€™t want that upgrade to begin with. Now if we are talking about range and power upgrades, that is a different story.
I don't know, I found all of the following upgrades very useful:

• Blind spot camera on turn signal.
  • Chime on red light turning to green.
  • Sentry Mode
  • Massive Navigation improvements
    • Routing & retrouting
    • Range calculations that include wind and temperature for accurate estimates
    • Very precise range estimates
  • Flawless Phone as a key with NFC
  • Brake modulation on one-pedal driving with high battery state
  • Keep climate running while loading
  • Backup camera side repeater addition
  • Pin to drive
  • Pin for glovebox
  • Window / Door left open notifications
  • Disney channel addition -> Great for charging stops with the kids in tow
  • Valet mode
  • On route battery warm-up to supercharger.
  • And Coming soon:
    • Pothole avoidance

These were just some of the ones that I really appreciated, however there are many many more that don't stand out as much in my mind.

• Love
Reactions: GDN

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I guess those of us coming from a Tesla aren't of that opinion. Maybe this has now become an expectation that you don't unnecessarily leave people behind because of poor hardware/software architecture decisions.
My friends Two Tesla Roadsters technology would disagree with you. Upgrading is Costly! But he now has Two. This one he just bought at BAT auction. He's out thousands of dollars in Gruber LLCs pocket as they are the one one that can rebuild the parts.
Additionally, Sync 3 still ships out with New Ford's. You'll be fine!

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
Some of us don't buy into the Tesla cult.

I buy a vehicle to drive, not to be part of a special social club.

No..Ford does not need to copy Tesla.
I agree I hate Teslas like I hate iPhones and people who don't know how to work on their own car.
Tesla's all look alike it's the new Prius.

BUT no matter how much we hate Tesla's, no one comes close to Tesla on mechanical design, efficiency and bringing new features to customers.

If you believe Farley, they are trying to be like Tesla, they shouldn't try though because they can't! Ford is incapable of being as efficient as Tesla, it's in Ford's DNA much like how politicians all suck.
Sponsored