• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Semi efficiency = Lightning cold weather efficiency?

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Not that I really believe anything Elon says, but if true, not sure how I feel about this.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Semi efficiency = Lightning cold weather efficiency? Screenshot_20221202-201221
Sponsored

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 22 F-150 Lightning Lariet
Ford talks miles per kWh and Tesla talks kWh/mile. Our model S is rated at .34 kWh/mi, the semi at almost 6 times that of 1.7 kWh/mi. The lightning is rated at .48 kWh/mi.

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
Things like this reminds me of all the points I got off in college for not putting units behind my answers.
I had one professor who gave you no points on the whole question if you forgot units anywhere in your work, whether you had the answer with them or not. I think that class gave me the school equivalent of PTSD.

Sponsored

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 22 F-150 Lightning Lariet
I wish you could change the Ford to show wh/mile. After watching my Tesla's performance for years I have a good sense for how temperature, wind, rain, speed, etc. affect my energy consumption. I also am able to learn how good each version of the energy consumption algorithm is. It's made much easier with the energy consumption graph, a feature I have not found in the Ford yet. I get that miles/kwh is much more like miles/gallon so it might be easier to translate from an ICE but I guess I'm more concerned about how accurate the energy prediction is. So far I've found the energy prediction in the Ford to be totally unbelievable but that is based on a limited amount of data.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I wish you could change the Ford to show wh/mile. After watching my Tesla's performance for years I have a good sense for how temperature, wind, rain, speed, etc. affect my energy consumption. I also am able to learn how good each version of the energy consumption algorithm is. It's made much easier with the energy consumption graph, a feature I have not found in the Ford yet. I get that miles/kwh is much more like miles/gallon so it might be easier to translate from an ICE but I guess I'm more concerned about how accurate the energy prediction is. So far I've found the energy prediction in the Ford to be totally unbelievable but that is based on a limited amount of data.
Oddly this is likely one of the only things I like about Fords SW/interface better than Tesla. I never got the wh/mile - it makes no sense. The mi/kW is so easy to understand and calculate immediately when I'm charging. Knowing my current average I know exactly how far the next charge should get me. I do wish they provided more energy graphs to supplement this, but the mi/kW is very intuitive.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Not that I really believe anything Elon says, but if true, not sure how I feel about this.

Screenshot_20221202-201221.png
I totally got tripped up on this when they announced efficiency numbers. I tend to think of efficiency in mi/kwh. Our I-pace displays in wh/mi and the Lightning does mi/kwh and I much prefer the Lightning's way of displaying it. That said, there's no reason why this shouldn't be user configurable.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Wh/mile is a really unintuitive and awkward unit that's hard to quickly mentally convert to anything useful.

mile/kWh is just the inverse of Wh/mile times 1000 and it's a lot more intuitive IMO.

mile/kWh = (Wh/mile)^-1 * 1000 (for the math people)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wh/mile is a really unintuitive and awkward unit that's hard to quickly mentally convert to anything useful.

mile/kWh is just the inverse of Wh/mile times 1000 and it's a lot more intuitive IMO.

On the flip side, wh/mi makes understanding differences in efficiency more intuitive.

Look at going from 2 mi /kWh to 4, and then 4 to 6. Those look like about the same level of improvement in that metric.

Now lets do wh/mi.

0.5, 0.25, and 0.17. from this metric it is clear that going from 2 mi/kWh to 4 is a much bigger improvement than 4 to 6.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

On the flip side, wh/mi makes understanding differences in efficiency more intuitive.

Look at going from 2 mi /kWh to 4, and then 4 to 6. Those look like about the same level of improvement in that metric.

Now lets do wh/mi.

0.5, 0.25, and 0.17. from this metric it is clear that going from 2 mi/kWh to 4 is a much bigger improvement than 4 to 6.
For ABRP users, you can just tap the screen (area circled) on their calibration of your Milage and the app will toggle the conversion for you 😏

mi./kWh
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Semi efficiency = Lightning cold weather efficiency? 0DE73B57-18D5-4D21-9EB8-C269C27E1BE1

Wh/mi
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Semi efficiency = Lightning cold weather efficiency? 5F97EC6E-02A9-402F-9F12-9A424A658C5F

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Its still impressive efficency from the Semi. A lightning towing 10,000 lbs and weighs around 17,000 truck/trailer combined uses around 1 kWh/mile, whereas the Semi can be loaded to 80,000 truck/trailer combined and use 2 kWh/mile

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Everywhere except North America used liters per 100 km.
The metric battles have been fought and lost 50 years ago. I learned both systems and can handle ft-#f to ft-#m. But mpg and now mpkwh are in my head.
Sponsored