• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla to J1772 Adapter

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
When I first purchased my 22 Lightning Lariat ER in April I immediately purchased the Shockflow 48 Amp Tesla to J1772 adapter. To this date I have never used it. I have an upcoming trip in a couple week where I will need an adapter. PlugShare shows the charger I intend to use is a 16kw Tesla destination charger.
After doing more research I’ve read that the truck can do up to 80A and the 48A adapter I currently own could melt.
I went ahead and purchased the 80A adapter sold by Seguma. It hasn’t came in yet.

My question is would the destination charger actually put out enough power to cause issues with the 48A adapter and essentially damage the truck? PlugShare shows reviews of drivers getting 12kw. Am I overthinking this?
Sponsored

christian20

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER (on order)
I am by no means an expert here but destination chargers are usually level 2, right? And a quick google shows level 2 chargers can go up to 60 amps, although I don’t know how common those are in practice

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, a 16 KW EVSE will overload a 48A adapter.
Even 12 KW would be 50A.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am by no means an expert here but destination chargers are usually level 2, right? And a quick google shows level 2 chargers can go up to 60 amps, although I don’t know how common those are in practice
Your new Lightning will be capable of charging on L2 at 80A!

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m glad I never had to use the 48A adapter. I didn’t realize when I purchased it that there was a difference.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
You might find this interesting:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
When I first purchased my 22 Lightning Lariat ER in April I immediately purchased the Shockflow 48 Amp Tesla to J1772 adapter. To this date I have never used it. I have an upcoming trip in a couple week where I will need an adapter. PlugShare shows the charger I intend to use is a 16kw Tesla destination charger.
After doing more research I’ve read that the truck can do up to 80A and the 48A adapter I currently own could melt.
I went ahead and purchased the 80A adapter sold by Seguma. It hasn’t came in yet.

My question is would the destination charger actually put out enough power to cause issues with the 48A adapter and essentially damage the truck? PlugShare shows reviews of drivers getting 12kw. Am I overthinking this?
It’s all a matter of heat. A 48A adapter can be used with a 80A charger, there’s nothing to keep it from doing so. Which is the problem.

If you use a 48A adapter, it will not be designed to handle the additional amperage and resulting heat. There’s no safety mechanism to switch it off, thus subjecting it to additional risk of a fire.

If you accidentally plug it in, will it damage the truck? Not necessarily, but it could if it overheats. In the same manner, you might be able to get away with it for a short period of time, and you’ll see folks claiming oh it worked for me. But that’s more a factor if they got lucky and not something that should be trusted to operate reliably and safely.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Ditto. Causing a major fire isn’t worth it. Is better to have a good book and go to closest Ford or Chevy dealer and charge their for a few hours. Or even Uber from there to motel.

That being said, maybe creatively fast charging to 98% would get you through until fast charging again. That’s what I do whenon the road

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ditto. Causing a major fire isn’t worth it. Is better to have a good book and go to closest Ford or Chevy dealer and charge their for a few hours. Or even Uber from there to motel.

That being said, maybe creatively fast charging to 98% would get you through until fast charging again. That’s what I do whenon the road
I’ll be in a rural area and hauling a side by side which cuts my mileage significantly in the mountains. I’ll have the 80Amp adapter by then and worse case will go to a campground nearby to charge.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I recently bought a Yeekue 80 amp Tesla to J1772 adapter to have “just in case” I needed a charge and all that was available was a Tesla destination charger. On my next 1500 mile road trip I ended up using it twice with good results at two different hotels. (Side note - at one hotel I had a choice of J1772 or Tesla, and went with the latter because it was slightly faster.) It is well constructed, mostly metal and dense hard plastic, has two locking mechanisms, and in operation barely got warm, despite being used in the summer heat.

The key is getting an adapter rated for 80 amps - which is the max your ER can draw. And while there apparently is a new generation of Tesla destination chargers that can deliver up to 80 amps, the vast majority in use are limited to 48 amps.

In short, I am glad I got this 80 amp adapter and think anyone who travels in their Lightning should have one.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m glad I never had to use the 48A adapter. I didn’t realize when I purchased it that there was a difference.
You can use it as long as you’re sure the EVSE isn’t rated over 40A.

Sherm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Ranger, '20 Jeep Sahara, '22, F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
We enjoyed using the Tesla Destination Stations at a hotel in Texas. The TeslaTap - Tesla to J-1772 Adapter - 80 AMP worked out great. The hotel had both a Super Charger and 4 Destination Charger Stations. Charging was free and they offered a 10% discount at their restaurant if we mentioned we were using the Tesla Station.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla to J1772 Adapter 41ZTZOZn3RL._AC_SL1050_

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla to J1772 Adapter IMG_7539 2

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla to J1772 Adapter IMG_7538 2

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X

Yeah, it would be an issue. First, there’s an Amazon review where someone tried that adapter with a Tesla 80A charger and it simply errored out. So it would likely simply not work. Worse is if it tried to work and let 80A flow through an adapter that wasn’t rated for it.

The reason why PlugShare only shows 12kW charging is that very few vehicles on the road can actually charge at 80A, the Lightning being one of the few.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I need get an adapter for my Pro. If I am reading this right, 60 Amp should be sufficient. In other words even at an 80 Amp charger, my SR Pro won't allow more than 48 Amps right?

I would be using this at most a few times a year. Is Tesla tap worth it? What do you guys recommend? Are there adapters that lock at both ends until the charge is done? How do you minimize the chance of someone messing with you with your adapter?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I need get an adapter for my Pro. If I am reading this right, 60 Amp should be sufficient. In other words even at an 80 Amp charger, my SR Pro won't allow more than 48 Amps right?

I would be using this at most a few times a year. Is Tesla tap worth it? What do you guys recommend? Are there adapters that lock at both ends until the charge is done? How do you minimize the chance of someone messing with you with your adapter?
I think the TeslaTaps have a hole in the thumb latch that accepts a small padlock. Keeps the casual thief at bay. Lat time I looked, they even sell a padlock to fit.
Sponsored