• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
About 20%, by end of 2024.

Changed to free WSJ link - https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...gvjium7r7x8&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Articles:
https://electrek.co/2023/02/15/tesl...etwork-us-opens-to-non-tesla-evs-white-house/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-...s-to-other-vehicles-white-house-says-2ed35fd5

Disclaimer - I posted the WSJ article breaking news, with a link to it. I would never post a source that basically copies from other sources (electrek), or a link to Musk-owned Twitter, that's the admin.
Sponsored

Last edited:

brizilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SVT Raptor / BMW M2C
By end of 2024 being the caveat here but good news for those of use in a fast charging desert.

The Biden administration has unveiled new initiatives in its $7.5 billion plan to install 500,000 EV chargers on US roads by 2030. As part of that, it announced that Tesla has committed to to open up 7,500 of its charging stations to non-Tesla vehicles by the end of 2024.
Of 7,500 chargers available for all compatible EVs, 3,500 will be new and existing 250 kW Superchargers along highway corridors. The rest will be Level 2 Destination Charging stations (22 kW max) at hotels, restaurants and other urban and rural locations. Tesla will also boost its US Supercharger network by 300 percent, officials said.

https://www.engadget.com/tesla-will...-stations-to-other-evs-by-2024-115527953.html

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Here's the article in CNBC. Pretty weak commitment in terms of time frame. Also, only 3,500 of the chargers will be Superchargers. The rest are Level 2 destination chargers.

Adding 3,500 Tesla Superchargers to the 20,431 DC chargers currently in the US (if I'm reading that article correctly) is less than a 20% increase in 2 years. Tesla currently has about 17,000 Superchargers in the US. They could almost double the amount available to non-Teslas on a much faster time frame (maybe overnight) but instead committed to a 20% increase in 2 years. The other suppliers will make a bigger impact than Tesla over that time frame.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Just hoping for retrofits in very key areas where there isn't much CCS to go around. In Breezewood PA, Tesla put in 20 stalls in a Dunkin Donuts location. This is their second location in Breezewood, the other being an 8-stall in a Sheetz. The Sheetz was always slammed when I had my model 3. There are currently no EA or other branded DCFC in Breezewood. That location is my wish for any possible retrofit with CCS.

Otherwise major roads I travel, like 95, have EA all up and down them, along with some EVgo, Shell, etc. Adding a few Tesla locations to the mix will be incredible.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I posted the WSJ article breaking news, with a link to it.
to be fair, we don’t all have journal subscriptions

Tesla has committed to to open up 7,500 of its charging stations to non-Tesla vehicles by the end of 2024.
bad reporting, insofar as half of hose are already open to non-Tesla vehicles

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
to be fair, we don’t all have journal subscriptions

bad reporting, insofar as half of hose are already open to non-Tesla vehicles
It should have been a free link. I fixed it.

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Ford will probably be buying out all Mach-E and Lightnings by the end of 2024 the way they are going….

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Pretty weak commitment in terms of time frame. Also, only 3,500 of the chargers will be Superchargers.
to be even clearer, since there are on average at least 10 superchargers at a station, this means either:

• there will be only 350 station locations open to non-Teslas, with all chargers available, or

• there will be 3500 station locations open to non-Teslas, with only a single non-Tesla charger available, or

• somewhere between the above two

So, pick your poison: only 350 available stations nationwide, or only a single available charger at 3,500 stations nationwide - after two years

neither very impressive or life-changing

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Not till 2024? Ok, so essentially don't expect anything. Got it. Feels like we will have higher odds of reliable EA charging by that time.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not till 2024? Ok, so essentially don't expect anything. Got it. Feels like we will have higher odds of reliable EA charging by that time.
BY the end of 2024 is not the same as "not till 2024".

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
What I've noticed is the folks who use CCS chargers tend to be harder on the equipment, park their cars there and just leave, this doesn't really fly on the super chargers I've seen. They look well cared for by the users and the idle fee forces folks to move.

EA, in my opinion, needs to stop with this free crap - all it does is incentives people to use them when they don't need to and more importantly there is no ownership of the equipment. I went to three EA stations and 3 of them had the CCS lock broken off the handle - im sitting here like how is this even possible.

Edit - spelling...

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
BY the end of 2024 is not the same as "not till 2024".
I'm basing my assessment on Tesla's track record for things being on time. Would rather not get my hopes up and be pleasantly surprised. There's a Tesla SC near my in-laws house so it would be great to be able to top up there when visiting. Otherwise, one fast charger which is across town.

Zap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge
Adding 3,500 Tesla Superchargers to the 20,431 DC chargers currently in the US (if I'm reading that article correctly) is less than a 20% increase in 2 years.
Agreed as far as raw numbers. But if you know a Supercharger is available on your route, you basically have zero anxiety about whether it will be working. Priceless.
Sponsored