• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TeslaTap Issues - What Else to Try?

OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
Update: tried the Lectron charger and it worked immediately and the truck is charging. Must be a bad TeslaTap unfortunately. So I’ll most likely return it. I tried again with this one and pushed super hard but I really feel it was seated all the way. And it’s the newer model so it should work with the Gen3 charger.
Regardless, it’s working now with the Lectron. I haven’t figured out how to check charge rate yet because the app is being very buggy on me and not updating; however, the PaaK is working great at least.
Sponsored

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I had the same issue with my gen3 tesla wall connector + tesla tap mini and SR F150L. It would not seat all the way. I had to forcibly press it in towards the truck to make the connection and initiate charging.

I submitted a returb/RMA and had the TT swapped out. New one fits much better. At first it was a bit tight, but now it slides in without any issues at all, and clicks just like the ford mobile connector. Perhaps the pins needed to be aligned with a few uses.

Charging at 48A using gen 3 Tesla wall connector + TT mini 60A. Works great.

p.s. I am also in SD if you every wanted to debug using my charger/TT. But it sounds like you already have this sorted :)

Reactions: GDN

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Update: tried the Lectron charger and it worked immediately and the truck is charging. Must be a bad TeslaTap unfortunately. So I’ll most likely return it. I tried again with this one and pushed super hard but I really feel it was seated all the way. And it’s the newer model so it should work with the Gen3 charger.
Regardless, it’s working now with the Lectron. I haven’t figured out how to check charge rate yet because the app is being very buggy on me and not updating; however, the PaaK is working great at least.
That's the part that annoys me with the F-150L. You need to do math to figure out your average charge rate.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
None of the issues you raise would explain the issues the OP raises.
I didn't say they did.

I said I'm also trying to decide which of the two to choose, and he was looking for other options, so I was just mentioning some of the pros and cons I've heard from each to spur discussion.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Wut? Ford EVs don't show you the charge rate?
Not that I have seen. You get your estimated completion time. You can also get how much you’ve charged and how long, so you can do your own math.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Not that I have seen. You get your estimated completion time. You can also get how much you’ve charged and how long, so you can do your own math.
That's a glaring omission from what should be considered a fundamental piece of data for the users.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
So with an OBD reader and an app, would that data be available? Anyone using an app that can see the data from the truck?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
So with an OBD reader and an app, would that data be available? Anyone using an app that can see the data from the truck?
Yes...Not yet.

OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
Probably my final update on this thread - truck charged with no issues last night using the Lectron adapter. Still no luck with the TeslaTap. When I started this thread I also opened a ticket with the TeslaTap manufacturer and they got back to me last night. So it sounds like their support is at least responsive. But since the Lectron is working, I'll return the TeslaTap at this point. Thanks for everyones feedback and advice!

Sponsored

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Should be. I have done this with my Mach-E... waiting on delivery of the F150L to try. Here is a screenshot from CarScanner showing the charging info. Ford seems to want to not talk to people in terms of actual kW and kWh, but rather in percentages and time.

Ford F-150 Lightning TeslaTap Issues - What Else to Try? IMG_2578.PNG

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Should be. I have done this with my Mach-E... waiting on delivery of the F150L to try. Here is a screenshot from CarScanner showing the charging info. Ford seems to want to not talk to people in terms of actual kW and kWh, but rather in percentages and time.

IMG_2578.PNG
Is that connected to an Android device? Do you know if you have an actual battery pack temp?

I'm an iOS guy and I see the app in the store, but I think to get a compatible bluetooth OBDII dongle is expensive for iOS because of the certification it requires.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
My Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard Range just arrived and I'm trying to charge the vehicle using my Gen3 HPWC with the TeslaTap 80amp Mini I purchased to charge my truck and it's not working. I'm curious what else I can try? Below is all relevant information to help diagnose the issue.

Steps I take to charge - the Tesla wall charger shows a green light like it's ready to charge. I put the TeslaTap on the end of the Tesla charging handle. The wall charger flashes blue for about 20 seconds then is a solid blue. I wait another 10-15 seconds or so to be safe. I then plug the charging handle, with TeslaTap on it, into the truck. The wall charger continues to stay solid blue. The truck says "charging station not detected". The truck itself says ready to charge before and after plugging in the adapter. The phone app shows that the truck is aware something is plugged in but it says "plugged in not charging". Not much additional info.

Some other data - the Tesla charger in question charges my Tesla without a problem. It's a 60amp circuit pushing 45amp to the vehicle. I've tried using the TeslaTap with the same process above to charge a Chrysler Pacific Hybrid and a Chevy Volt and the same issues. It won't charge any of the three vehicles. The Ford truck charges just fine on all other chargers when the TeslaTap is not used.

I'm curious what else I can try? Any suggestions? I MAY be able to find another destination Tesla charger to try the TeslaTap with that one as that sounds like a logical next step but will be a hassle to hunt one down to try. Is there a setting on the Gen3 HPWC I need to change? Is there something wrong with the TeslaTap itself?

Thanks for any help!
Why not use the Charge Station Pro?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Why not use the Charge Station Pro?
Aside from it being expensive?

- SR users can only use up to 48A max on any home charger.

- The Charge Station Pro is buggy and alot of users have reported overheating issues, scheduling isssues...etc

- The Ford Charging options wouldn't even crack the top 20 for recommended chargers

Even if it came free with my truck I would sell it on ebay (which actually has them gping pretty cheap...gives you an idea of what people think of them) ASAP and buy almost anything else.