• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Daily charging with TeslaTap or mini?

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Anyone have experience charging at home daily with one of the adapters? Any concerns with that? I’m also looking at the A2Z adapter since it’s a third of the price compared to the TeslaTap mini.
Sponsored

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I charged with Lectron adapter on the Tesla charger for quite awhile. Then the adapter started overheating. Have since switched to the Tesla Tap and haven't had any issues.

OP
OP

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I charged with Lectron adapter on the Tesla charger for quite awhile. Then the adapter started overheating. Have since switched to the Tesla Tap and haven't had any issues.
Are you using the large Tesla Tap or the mini?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Are you using the large Tesla Tap or the mini?
I charge with a TeslaTap Mini 80 (http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160).

I've been using it almost daily since June 2022. Now, I am in for my second bad battery module and I hope it's not from charging with a Tesla Wall Charger and TeslaTap. My Tesla Wall Charger (Gen 3) did have the overheating bug (on both the Ford and MYP) and they are replacing it. I wish the combo unit was out sooner from Tesla, I would have spent the extra on that and skip the adapter.

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I charge with a TeslaTap Mini 80 (http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160).

I've been using it almost daily since June 2022. Now, I am in for my second bad battery module and I hope it's not from charging with a Tesla Wall Charger and TeslaTap. My Tesla Wall Charger (Gen 3) did have the overheating bug (on both the Ford and MYP) and they are replacing it. I wish the combo unit was out sooner from Tesla, I would have spent the extra on that and skip the adapter.
I am using the tesla tap mini. While using the Lectron adapter, the handle was overheating from the Tesla charger, but would never overheat while charging the Tesla M3. I assumed it was the charger itself and Tesla replaced it. Put the new one in and it was still overheating. Switched to the Tesla Tap and haven't had any problems. I haven't had any of the battery module issues yet, I have had my truck since July 22.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

All the EVSE does is tell the vehicle the maximum charge rate allowed and turn the power off and on. It cannot harm your battery. And neither can an adapter.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Anyone have experience charging at home daily with one of the adapters? Any concerns with that? I’m also looking at the A2Z adapter since it’s a third of the price compared to the TeslaTap mini.
I did the same as @emmelj by starting off with the Lectron and replaced it with the Teslatap mini due to the
lectron overheating.

The adapter has been great, had some mild oxidation due to being outside in the elements and the connectors being copper but nothing severe or impacting the charging capabilities.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
I just had a Tesla Wall Connector installed a few weeks ago and use a TeslaTap 80AMP adapter. I asked my electrician (approved electrian listed on Tesla's website) about reptitively using the TeslaTap adapter and he had no concerns. Has only been a few weeks but so far so good.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
When I sold my Tesla Model 3 and bought my
MME, I used a TeslaTap Mini adapter daily for serval years with no problems. The TeslaTap adapter is very solid and well-engineered. My sense is that it’s worth the price and a better choice than cheaper adapters.

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
I've used:
Ford F-150 Lightning Daily charging with TeslaTap or mini? 51VxrVQhZcL._AC_SX679_

for about a year with no issues before I finally got around to installing the Charge Station Pro:

https://amzn.to/3RULpHB

Never had any issues at all. Worked on my home Tesla wall charger and took it on the go in case I came across any Tesla Destination chargers.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I think the TeslaTap mini 80amp is the best way to go.
I used it all the time until I finally got my own charger (a Tesla Wallconnector J1772).

OP
OP

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I am planning to use the Tesla wall charger v2 that goes up to 80 amps. I know I will need the TeslaTap 80, but will that support continuous charging at that rate? I see that they recommend the 60 amp version for charging at 48 amps.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Another vote for the Teslatap Mini. I've got a Gen 2 wall charger dialed to 48 amps, connected to a 60 amp breaker. Other than a few DCFC sessions, it's been my primary charging at home. Works great. No heating issues. Starts charging as soon as it's plugged in.

Use the same WC for a Y.
Sponsored