• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TeslaTap Issues - What Else to Try?

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Model 3, Pacifica Hybrid
My Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard Range just arrived and I'm trying to charge the vehicle using my Gen3 HPWC with the TeslaTap 80amp Mini I purchased to charge my truck and it's not working. I'm curious what else I can try? Below is all relevant information to help diagnose the issue.

Steps I take to charge - the Tesla wall charger shows a green light like it's ready to charge. I put the TeslaTap on the end of the Tesla charging handle. The wall charger flashes blue for about 20 seconds then is a solid blue. I wait another 10-15 seconds or so to be safe. I then plug the charging handle, with TeslaTap on it, into the truck. The wall charger continues to stay solid blue. The truck says "charging station not detected". The truck itself says ready to charge before and after plugging in the adapter. The phone app shows that the truck is aware something is plugged in but it says "plugged in not charging". Not much additional info.

Some other data - the Tesla charger in question charges my Tesla without a problem. It's a 60amp circuit pushing 45amp to the vehicle. I've tried using the TeslaTap with the same process above to charge a Chrysler Pacific Hybrid and a Chevy Volt and the same issues. It won't charge any of the three vehicles. The Ford truck charges just fine on all other chargers when the TeslaTap is not used.

I'm curious what else I can try? Any suggestions? I MAY be able to find another destination Tesla charger to try the TeslaTap with that one as that sounds like a logical next step but will be a hassle to hunt one down to try. Is there a setting on the Gen3 HPWC I need to change? Is there something wrong with the TeslaTap itself?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As a workaround and test, I ordered a Lectron adapter as well to try. If that works, I'll just return the TeslaTap Mini. It arrives today surprisingly. I'll keep everyone posted on how things develop but anything else to try would be great just in case. Thanks again :)

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Let us know what happens with this, please! I'm trying to decide which of these to buy.

I've heard some issues with water intrusion on the Tesla Tap Minis, and then some discussion about whether the 40A can handle continuous 40A or just 2-3 hours, for instance. Made in USA is nice.

The Lectron, of course, has limited amperage compared to TeslaTap, but the handle version is a nice form-factor, and perhaps it has better water intrusion protection?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Let us know what happens with this, please! I'm trying to decide which of these to buy.

I've heard some issues with water intrusion on the Tesla Tap Minis, and then some discussion about whether the 40A can handle continuous 40A or just 2-3 hours, for instance. Made in USA is nice.

The Lectron, of course, has limited amperage compared to TeslaTap, but the handle version is a nice form-factor, and perhaps it has better water intrusion protection?
None of the issues you raise would explain the issues the OP raises.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've used a 80 Amp Tesla Tap Mini on my Lightning for about a month now, also with a Gen 3 HPWC. I've experienced no issues after the first day. When I first tried to charge, I wasn't all the way inserted, it takes a little bit of a forceful push to get the cable in. You get a nice click noise to know it's in there right, without that click you won't start charging. I received a charging error on day one, afterward when clicking in, no issues.

I have kept the Tesla Tap on my charger full time, as it's dedicated to the Lightning. My recommendation for you is to make sure everything is snug and clicked into place, it should work, I'm proof.

OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've used a 80 Amp Tesla Tap Mini on my Lightning for about a month now, also with a Gen 3 HPWC. I've experienced no issues after the first day. When I first tried to charge, I wasn't all the way inserted, it takes a little bit of a forceful push to get the cable in. You get a nice click noise to know it's in there right, without that click you won't start charging. I received a charging error on day one, afterward when clicking in, no issues.

I have kept the Tesla Tap on my charger full time, as it's dedicated to the Lightning. My recommendation for you is to make sure everything is snug and clicked into place, it should work, I'm proof.
I’ll try again. Thanks! I’ve seen others say how hard it is to get fully seated. That could be it.

Reactions: GDN

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I had selective charging issues when I first got my truck, including using the TT back in June. My truck would charge without issue in my home Clipper Creek charger, but had difficulty with public chargers. There was an update available that the dealer applied and I’ve been set ever since. I’ve charged on lots of random Tesla chargers and never had an issue.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Remember, the SR Lightning can only take up to 48amps. The ER can take 80amps. I don't know enough about your charger to understand if you can adjust the amperage but those are the limitations of the trucks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Remember, the SR Lightning can only take up to 48amps. The ER can take 80amps. I don't know enough about your charger to understand if you can adjust the amperage but those are the limitations of the trucks.
Yeah, thanks for reminding me :cool: afaik, my wall charger can only push 45amps anyways and my truck should adjust to that charging speed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The truck will only take what it can use. If the charger provides 80, and the truck wants 48, it will take 48.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard Range just arrived and I'm trying to charge the vehicle using my Gen3 HPWC with the TeslaTap 80amp Mini I purchased to charge my truck and it's not working. I'm curious what else I can try? Below is all relevant information to help diagnose the issue.

Steps I take to charge - the Tesla wall charger shows a green light like it's ready to charge. I put the TeslaTap on the end of the Tesla charging handle. The wall charger flashes blue for about 20 seconds then is a solid blue. I wait another 10-15 seconds or so to be safe. I then plug the charging handle, with TeslaTap on it, into the truck. The wall charger continues to stay solid blue. The truck says "charging station not detected". The truck itself says ready to charge before and after plugging in the adapter. The phone app shows that the truck is aware something is plugged in but it says "plugged in not charging". Not much additional info.

Some other data - the Tesla charger in question charges my Tesla without a problem. It's a 60amp circuit pushing 45amp to the vehicle. I've tried using the TeslaTap with the same process above to charge a Chrysler Pacific Hybrid and a Chevy Volt and the same issues. It won't charge any of the three vehicles. The Ford truck charges just fine on all other chargers when the TeslaTap is not used.

I'm curious what else I can try? Any suggestions? I MAY be able to find another destination Tesla charger to try the TeslaTap with that one as that sounds like a logical next step but will be a hassle to hunt one down to try. Is there a setting on the Gen3 HPWC I need to change? Is there something wrong with the TeslaTap itself?

Thanks for any help!
I use a Lectron 48A adapter with my Gen 2 Tesla wall charger. It works fine with both my F-150L Pro and my R1T.

The Gen3 chargers are a little different from what I recall. There's a different communication wire, which may be the issue if you have an older Teslatap. The newer ones work without any issues. I believe Lectron ran into this issue at one point as well.

But in either case, my Lectron works great so far with no issues. I've swapped it between 2 different wall chargers, it's sat outside in the rain and has been worth every penny.

My process with the Lectron:
I put the lectron adapter onto my Tesla wall charger. I then take the Lectron adapter and plug into the car. It takes maybe 2 seconds for the handshake, and then it starts charging.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The Gen 3 has wifi - any chance there is a SW update for it?

I just started using the Teslatap mini last week on a Gen 2 charger with an ER Lariat - not your situation, but it did work.

OP
OP
nash_diego

nash_diego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Gen 3 has wifi - any chance there is a SW update for it?

I just started using the Teslatap mini last week on a Gen 2 charger with an ER Lariat - not your situation, but it did work.
I thought of that and may try it. I’m hesitant to join it to WiFi but I’m sure it was a fluke case. I got a bad update around 6mo ago and it fried the wall charger. Tesla replaced it for free but that was a pain.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN