• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The number of DCFC chargers is exploding!!

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Us Ford EV owners have been so obsessed with gaining access to Superchargers I think we have lost sight of all the new DCFC chargers getting installed. Have you looked at PlugShare lately? The number of DCFC chargers under construction or under permit right now is just phenomenal!

The NEVI money is finally starting to show results but what’s surprising is that groups like Tesla and Flying J/Pilot are going through major DCFC expansions; have the charging service providers finally figured out how to make money charging EVs? I expected many service providers to just sit it out until the NEVI money ran out but that is clearly not happening. The DCFC landscape at the end of 2024 is going to look very much different than what it looks like now.

In Texas alone there hundreds more locations and maybe a thousand more DCFC chargers that should be available by the end of 2024. And we know that at least with NEVI the growth is just going to accelerate over the next five years. PlugShare is already so crowded with DCFC locations that it turns many of locations off so the app doesn’t get too cluttered.

How are we even going to use PlugShare when there are so many DCFC locations that most of them don’t show? Will we go to the old gasoline method of looking for road signs to see which exits have charging stations? I know that’s not something we to worry about right now but we should not lose sight of just how fast our EV world is changing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
looking for road signs to see which exits have charging stations?
Since our trucks are connected, as you get closer to an exit, if you have notification on, you could get a pop up showing number of available chargers, their speed and distance from exit.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
... have the charging service providers finally figured out how to make money charging EVs?
If they haven't, here's a good start: keep chargers working once installed.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am used to Apps telling me my phone is too old but this one says my Android is not old enough. Only a Gobmint app can do that. To be honest, I prefer a Government central source of info but it does not have as much details for each location as plugshare. What is the advantage here?

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

The website you referenced doesn’t do a very good job of tracking planned projects. I think PlugShare does a better job since it is updated by users truely interested in planned charging locations. Here is a screenshot from PlugShare showing South Texas DCFC locations:

Ford F-150 Lightning The number of DCFC chargers is exploding!! 69D73144-1BA7-4D89-9820-E2B1A0883A7B

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well - in my area, I see nothing new planned that would be useful to be at all. 3 in NY - but none where I would need them, 0 in PA, 0 in NJ.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Well - in my area, I see nothing new planned that would be useful to be at all. 3 in NY - but none where I would need them, 0 in PA, 0 in NJ.
NY , PA and NJ look pretty much saturated on PlugSharee with existing and planned DCFC chargers, much more than many western states. Of course I don’t know where you are or what you’re trying to do DCFV chargers but your case looks pretty isolated. Maybe you should reivaluate what you plan to use DCFC chargers for or just a little while until more chargers pop up, all the Alternative Fuel Corridors are supposed to get DCFC chargers every fifty miles this year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
NY , PA and NJ look pretty much saturated on PlugSharee with existing and planned DCFC chargers, much more than many western states. Of course I don’t know where you are or what you’re trying to do DCFV chargers but your case looks pretty isolated. Maybe you should reivaluate what you plan to use DCFC chargers for or just a little while until more chargers pop up, all the Alternative Fuel Corridors are supposed to get DCFC chargers every fifty miles this year.
Yeah, the issue isn't that they aren't there, it is that reliability has been trending downhill, usage is going up, and there aren't enough alternatives yet to just move to another station if the one you planned to use is down or has a long line. We still road trip all the time and are an only EV family, but I have gone from being confident about the travel 18 months ago to figuring I will hit 1 to 2 hours of delays waiting for a charge, or fighting with a broken charger. Calling EA is useless now as well - wait on hold for 20 to 40 minutes for them to say they can't do anything.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
So 86 DCFC planned stations with 3.7 chargers per location....whoopee! Great job NEVI /s.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
So 86 DCFC planned stations with 3.7 chargers per location....whoopee! Great job NEVI /s.
Government doing what government does best. Be expensive and ineffective.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, the issue isn't that they aren't there, it is that reliability has been trending downhill, usage is going up, and there aren't enough alternatives yet to just move to another station if the one you planned to use is down or has a long line. We still road trip all the time and are an only EV family, but I have gone from being confident about the travel 18 months ago to figuring I will hit 1 to 2 hours of delays waiting for a charge, or fighting with a broken charger. Calling EA is useless now as well - wait on hold for 20 to 40 minutes for them to say they can't do anything.
I feel your pain but I have to say that the reliability of DCFC chargers in my area has improved dramatically in the last six months. Locations that I used to avoid if at all possible I now use routinely without trouble. Hopefully reliability will also improve in your area soon also.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I feel your pain but I have to say that the reliability of DCFC chargers in my area has improved dramatically in the last six months. Locations that I used to avoid if at all possible I now use routinely without trouble. Hopefully reliability will also improve in your area soon also.
Next road trip that will need DC fast charging planned for the end of April - wish me luck!
Sponsored