• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

This You? Ford F-150 Lightning Crashes Into 7 Cars At Michigan Car Wash

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I thought I should mention this since seeing this accident and my experience a couple of days later. Whenever I see these types I usually think just like some of you that they must have touched the wrong peddle and are not quick enough realize that they have a problem and need to make sure to hit the break.

But today I was in a parking lot and most all the spots were taken except one I happened to see. So I tapped on the accelerator peddle and the truck just took off like if I had really gunned it. I immediately hit the break anticipating what I saw on the video that I was in for a ride if I could not stop it so I slammed on the break and held it there, but it did not keep going it immediately stopped accelerating so all was good. I kind of wondered if I had just given it too much peddle but that would not attribute to when I took my foot off the accelerator and it was still going until I hit the break. I have not been able to recreate it yet. It might be a specific spot that it does it. I want to find a nice empty parking lot some where and try different taps on the accelerator peddle to see if there is some point where it locks in after you tap and quickly remove your foot from the accelerator. You know if you are aware something might happen like this it is easy to work out a action plan, but if it takes you by surprise it is only the very fast people with quick reactions that will stop it in time. So anyone out there who feels like they can handle this sort of thing see it you can recreate it in a safe place. If Ford is watching these they are most likely trying to figure it out. I hope my experience helps get it solved right away before some one really gets hurt.
This has happened to me a few times, I was able to tie it to the way I was one-handed turning the steering wheel and the pad of my palm hits the cruise control button. Cruise control has a minimum setting of 15mph. When I'm creeping at 1-4 mph, that acceleration feels like it's gunning it, especially when turning. I think as a precaution @Ford Motor Company should change the way cruise control engages, so that it will not engage below 15mph, instead of engaging at 5mph and setting the speed to 15.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
This has happened to me a few times, I was able to tie it to the way I was one-handed turning the steering wheel and the pad of my palm hits the cruise control button. Cruise control has a minimum setting of 15mph. When I'm creeping at 1-4 mph, that acceleration feels like it's gunning it, especially when turning. I think as a precaution @Ford Motor Company should change the way cruise control engages, so that it will not engage below 15mph, instead of engaging at 5mph and setting the speed to 15.
Another check should be angle of the steering wheel, engaging in a turn regardless of speed is just asking for trouble.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Does ACC not turn off when you tap the brakes? I thought this was how it worked on my Fusion, but I haven't done much driving in my Lightning, so maybe they changed it?
Yes, it shuts down when you tap the brakes or hit the center cruse resume-cancel button. If you hit the resume button under 10 MPH the cruse will not engage. If this person was in ACC cruse and didn't stop by cancelling the cruse or hitting the brake, the AC cruse may have stopped the truck because of the car in front of them, and folks here are correct, if the truck loses sight of the car in front due to the curve, I can see the truck accelerating on its own.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Yes. Happened to me twice. I stopped using 1 pedal for that reason. My read is the accelerator pedal should be 2”+ to the right. I wear 14 D shoes and it’s easy to hit both at once or miss the brake.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Yes. Happened to me twice. I stopped using 1 pedal for that reason. My read is the accelerator pedal should be 2”+ to the right. I wear 14 D shoes and it’s easy to hit both at once or miss the brake.
How does One Pedal Drive come into play here?

Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Another unfortunate accident reported by the Union Democrat newspaper.

Full articles attached.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the driver's family.

Ford F-150 Lightning This You?    Ford F-150 Lightning Crashes Into 7 Cars At Michigan Car Wash Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 3.20.07 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning This You?    Ford F-150 Lightning Crashes Into 7 Cars At Michigan Car Wash Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 3.21.21 PM

Attachments

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
How does One Pedal Drive come into play here?
It has aggressive brake function and after a few thousand miles from day 1 of driving of the LT, muscle memory for braking was non existent. I had two incidents of quick braking where I hit the throttle instead. I’d driven a Mach E nearly 50K miles and had no problem, but the pedal spacing on the LT seemed “off”. I’ve no other explanation.

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I thought I should mention this since seeing this accident and my experience a couple of days later. Whenever I see these types I usually think just like some of you that they must have touched the wrong peddle and are not quick enough realize that they have a problem and need to make sure to hit the break.

But today I was in a parking lot and most all the spots were taken except one I happened to see. So I tapped on the accelerator peddle and the truck just took off like if I had really gunned it. I immediately hit the break anticipating what I saw on the video that I was in for a ride if I could not stop it so I slammed on the break and held it there, but it did not keep going it immediately stopped accelerating so all was good. I kind of wondered if I had just given it too much peddle but that would not attribute to when I took my foot off the accelerator and it was still going until I hit the break. I have not been able to recreate it yet. It might be a specific spot that it does it. I want to find a nice empty parking lot some where and try different taps on the accelerator peddle to see if there is some point where it locks in after you tap and quickly remove your foot from the accelerator. You know if you are aware something might happen like this it is easy to work out a action plan, but if it takes you by surprise it is only the very fast people with quick reactions that will stop it in time. So anyone out there who feels like they can handle this sort of thing see it you can recreate it in a safe place. If Ford is watching these they are most likely trying to figure it out. I hope my experience helps get it solved right away before some one really gets hurt.
Personally I think ford needs to reprogram the cruise control button on the steering wheel as I have accidentally hit this not realizing I have engaged the cruise control which is unlike other vehicles I have owned as it will engage at any speed not just over 50km

This has happen to me many times and i have quickly realized the truck is not braking in one pedal mode and cancelled or hit the brake to disengage. Maybe they need to add more button depressed time to engage to minimize accidental engaging of cruise., I am not sure the solution but it is a issue.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge

Full articles attached.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 3.20.07 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 3.21.21 PM.jpg
Another "small" thing with the F-150 Lighting that is a huge design flaw. #1- that little plastic flap on the bottom of the charging port is annoying AF, and it blocks closing the charging port door. #2 both the flap and the charging door should be spring loaded and biased to close IMO.

I'm a volunteer firefighter. When responding to calls and the charging cable is plugged in, in haste, I am often cursing the flap and the door, and have frequently left with the door open. But I just ignore the warning, as the fire station is only 2 miles from my home. If only the charging cord was 2 miles long, I would not have these problems. :unsure: On a positive note, I am usually the first firefighter at the station because the Lightning is fast.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Lightning did those few cars a solid though, saved them $7.00 for a car wash! :LOL:.
Anyone else encounter similar issues?
Not necessarily saved them money. In Wisconsin and Michigan, a lot of people only get a car was at the end of the winter, or during the winter, for the underbody was due to the "salt" used on roads is so corrosive.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I was thinking it was just me…

Reading the last 2 pages it’s pretty clear it’s just more than a couple of us.

I’m wondering if there’s an official complaint channel or if we should file with the NHTSA. It’s not a defect, and very much user error when we hit it with our palms but Ford needs to be made aware as it can be dangerous.

@Ford Motor Company please take our feedback and adjust the cruise control programming!

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
If your truck takes off after you hit the cruse resume button below 10 MPH, you need to get it to the dealer ASAP. They are not supposed to do that and very dangerous. I mention this because if I am reading what several folks are saying here correctly, they are having this happen this but they don't mention that they will get it looked at. I am 70 and have owned 8 trucks, almost every VW diesel model made, and then some, and none of the cruse control will engage below 10 MPH.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If your truck takes off after you hit the cruse resume button below 10 MPH, you need to get it to the dealer ASAP. They are not supposed to do that and very dangerous. I mention this because if I am reading what several folks are saying here correctly, they are having this happen this but they don't mention that they will get it looked at. I am 70 and have owned 8 trucks, almost every VW diesel model made, and then some, and none of the cruse control will engage below 10 MPH.
You have an incorrect understanding of the functionality. In fact, Stop and Go is designed to do EXACTLY THAT, resume from a stop to the set speed.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

Full articles attached.

That's crazy. I have, on an occasion or two, started to get out without putting it in park first and the truck puts itself in park, same as if you hit the power button while in drive. I wonder what failed here.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Believe the truck has to be stationary first for the Auto Return to Park to work. Then an Open Door and Unlatched Seat Belt will activate Auto Return to Park.

From the manual p.228:

Ford F-150 Lightning This You?    Ford F-150 Lightning Crashes Into 7 Cars At Michigan Car Wash Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 12.28.13 PM
Sponsored