• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
As of early Feb 2023:

Tesla's average profit margin: $9,574
Ford's average profit margin: -$762

Ford is a grossly mismanaged company.
The heavy union presence at Ford doesn't help much either.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
What's interesting is that Tesla just had price drops. I'm not sure they noted exactly why, but the new Performance Y we just picked has no option deletes on it, no noted constraints - about $10K less than in December and $7500 from Uncle Sam. Hell of a deal.
The thing about Tesla is price drops and rises with Elon's mood swings. (j/k--maybe)

My opinion, but this is more stressful to me than dealing with a dealer. Say you're planning to purchase, you go to the bank to get financing...then go to order 2 days later and the price is up $10,000.

or

You buy and then 2 weeks later the price drops $15k.

Its annoying and stressful. Say what you will about Ford, but at least they somewhat predictable.

Also, I know these trucks are expensive..but all trucks are expensive. Comparing EVs..you can spend $60-70k to get a 300mi EV(Tesla, Mach E) OR you can spend ~$70-80k(now $90k) to get substantially more utility. (a full size truck).

Tesla's don't seem to be that great of a deal to me...but to each his own.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I agree. My Pro stickered at $45.6. Just built the same truck online and it is a tad over $68k. The Pro is a nice $45k truck but no way I would spend $68k.
My 2019 Platinum stickered for $63k and was bought for $55k, which I thought, at the time, was a lot for a truck.
Where does it end.
I really hate to state the obvious, but price increases will never end in the long run regardless of what we would like. My last truck a loaded 2017 ran right at 60k which at the time I was floored. The same ICE truck now before I bought my 2023 EV Platinum Lightning in January 2023, was over 20k higher in the span of six years. Housing, Vehicles, about everything is out of control because people will pay for it. I can only imagine what things will cost in another several years.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Same here pirate. We have unicorns! Unbelievable value and 8k miles later, I’m still stunned with the product they produced at that price.
Same, i'm pretty sure it was designed for both a publicity stunt and as a loss leader just like in grocery stores...oh plus big government incentives don't hurt either.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
The CEO making $21 Million doesn't either.
In a free and open market if a CEO doesn't "earn" his keep they will pay for it in another way. In no way am I defending this CEO, as personally I cannot imagine that kind of pay myself. Typically however you get what you pay for in life, with employees, the market determines the going pay rate, just as in other fields such as sports athletes or actors.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
the pro was always meant to be a fleet vehicle. the MSRP is pretty meaningless when a company is negotiating a discount for buying 20, 50, or a thousand trucks. Those big deals won't happen with 5% off, they'll be back around the $50k range...

What seems to have gone unnoticed in this weeks announcement is that the most popular Lightning (by far) is the Lariat ER whose price didn't change at all. The XLT and Platinum pricing is just tinkering around the edges to balance demand with margins.

EVMainer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Volt, F150 Lightning Pro
Same here pirate. We have unicorns! Unbelievable value and 8k miles later, I’m still stunned with the product they produced at that price.
I just brought my unicorn Pro home yesterday. Finance guy was laughing at how crazy the deal was, but it all checked out. The truck is a beast!

Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot

Ok. That’s impressive.
I stand corrected.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Cybertruck doesn’t exist yet. No real specs are available. No pricing is available. Tesla constantly lies about features. Their vehicles never hit the EPA range while every other EV automaker exceeds theirs. I roll my eyes at the fanboy nonsense of the CT. Enjoy your ugly unibody pickup and its 100kwh battery — only confirmed spec to date.

Ford is raising prices because they can. Tesla is slashing prices, because they’re producing more vehicles than people are buying.

If you already own an F150 Lightning, raise a glass with me and celebrate the price increases that improve the resale value of our trucks and blunt depreciation.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I feel like at $60k, you should at least get the securicode keypad, the interior work surface, and the ability to option blue cruise. They make blue cruise available on every trim of Mach-e, why not every trim of lighting?

mikesm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica, CR-V
The thing about Tesla is price drops and rises with Elon's mood swings. (j/k--maybe)

My opinion, but this is more stressful to me than dealing with a dealer. Say you're planning to purchase, you go to the bank to get financing...then go to order 2 days later and the price is up $10,000.

or

You buy and then 2 weeks later the price drops $15k.

Its annoying and stressful. Say what you will about Ford, but at least they somewhat predictable.

Also, I know these trucks are expensive..but all trucks are expensive. Comparing EVs..you can spend $60-70k to get a 300mi EV(Tesla, Mach E) OR you can spend ~$70-80k(now $90k) to get substantially more utility. (a full size truck).

Tesla's don't seem to be that great of a deal to me...but to each his own.
It's supply and demand. Until there are more competitive EV trucks around, or until buyers refuse to pay this much for EV's and buy regular trucks, Ford will keep raising prices. They would be foolish not to do so.

Ironically, there is really no reason (other than battery production not at scale) that EV's shouldn't be significantly cheaper to build than ICE vehicles. It's just a much simpler system.

My main interest in the F-150 is actually the battery storage. An F-150 with a 97 kWh pack has the storage of 7 powerwalls, which cost something like 80K, and you get a truck for free. :) Now, I realize there is a big difference in current capacity, but for load shifting solar from off peak to peak, it's a cost effective package. It may not be enough to do whole house backup, but here in PG&E land, cost effective batteries are helpful in dealing with rapacious electricity pricing. But that doesn't work if the cost of the truck is high.

Hopefully competition will fix this problem over time.
Sponsored