• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Use FCSP or other for home charging

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
over 40,000 miles and I am just fine with my good ol' 'free' 30amp Ford Mobile Charger... works perfectly. I've also used an adjustable 30amp unit, too, but either do the job just fine. I don't see the rush, and only use 'overnight' 11pm to 7am charging, when plugged in... that's 1/2 the tank, so, as much as this young man needs, for the most part.

everyone has a different 'life' and different 'use case' and needs for the LIGHTNING, even whether you have the standard range PRO, like me, or any of the ER battery packs...
if you have a 100 mile commute everyday, yes, go for a EVSE that can provide enough everynight to meet that need...
if you, like me, don't even drive the truck everyday, much less for 100 miles at a time, the 'speed' of the EVSE is not that important... planning is more important.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Gotcha , I was thinking the same but having the wiring there to support 100 amps as I want to be a one and done , most likely I’d dial it back as you have since in most cases I wouldn’t need a “fast” charge and not sure the drop from the power company can handle it … I get a voltage drop when I was using a 6kw dryer so this should be fun :) I’ve already informed them I’m installing a charger soon.
If you have a 2023 or 2022 ER Lightning and are putting in a 100 A circuit, what I would do is run the line to a sub-panel in the garage and run copper from the sub-panel to the FCSP. Set that to charge with the full 80 amp capacity. Fully charging your vehicle on a level 2 charger at 80 amps is faster and takes less electricity than doing the same with a 48 amp charger. In the future, if you want, you can swap the FCSP out for a 48 amp charger (or a different 80 amp charger if the home charging trends bend in that direction) at little cost (since you will have the wiring in place). If you go with a 60 or 50 amp charger down the road you can run another device off of your existing sub-panel (maybe two chargers!) In any case, if you are charging a dual on-board Lightning from an FCSP I see no advantage to dialing it back.

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
The only reason the FCSP is useful for non-business folks is if you live somewhere with unreliable power. I've been very grateful that I've been able to charge up quickly during intermittent power outages (although I also have the HIS).

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
what I would do is run the line to a sub-panel in the garage and run copper from the sub-panel to the FCSP.
I kinda wish I had done this. The FCSP will easily handle charging a 2 EV household, but the future flexibility is very attractive. When my FCSP kicks the bucket, I may go this route. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Sponsored

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
Ya, they were trying the DC adapter which obviously doesn't work.

There are a few who made ac adapters and had success.
It won't be a problem going forward.

Worse case, change the cable.
I've been lucky enough to test multiple electric vehicles as part of my job since my I've been lucky enough to test multiple electric vehicles as part of my job since my FSCP was installed. For the most part, any car with a CCS type to Inlet should be able to use the AC charging function of the unit. They have been a couple of vehicles that I've had on loan that have not wanted to charge from the unit. My mind is a little fuzzy from my accident last week but I believe the vehicles that come to mind for not wanting to charge were both Mercedes Benz.

OP
OP

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
If you have a 2023 or 2022 ER Lightning and are putting in a 100 A circuit, what I would do is run the line to a sub-panel in the garage and run copper from the sub-panel to the FCSP. Set that to charge with the full 80 amp capacity. Fully charging your vehicle on a level 2 charger at 80 amps is faster and takes less electricity than doing the same with a 48 amp charger. In the future, if you want, you can swap the FCSP out for a 48 amp charger (or a different 80 amp charger if the home charging trends bend in that direction) at little cost (since you will have the wiring in place). If you go with a 60 or 50 amp charger down the road you can run another device off of your existing sub-panel (maybe two chargers!) In any case, if you are charging a dual on-board Lightning from an FCSP I see no advantage to dialing it back.
I wasn’t planning on EV back when I rewired and currently only have a 60 amp run to a subpanel, but the subpanel is good for 150 amps , I may have the existing wire abandoned and re-run a feeder to this panel instead of another run or maybe just add another subpanel , it’s in the end the same amount of labor and now the EV stuff is in its own.

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Fully charging your vehicle on a level 2 charger at 80 amps is faster and takes less electricity than doing the same with a 48 amp charger.
How so? A kWh is the same unit no matter where it came from, so I guess the difference is heat loss? I am not an electrician.
EDIT: From some research, it sound like there is loss in conversion from AC to DC in L2 charging.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Ya, they were trying the DC adapter which obviously doesn't work.

There are a few who made ac adapters and had success.
It won't be a problem going forward.

Worse case, change the cable.
OP says his utility will reimburse him $500 for a 48A charger. Chargepoint is currently selling for $550 on Amazon. And you don't have "make" AC adapter or "change" cables. Outside of 22-23 Lightning ER there is absolutely no possible advantage to using FCSP.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
How so? A kWh is the same unit no matter where it came from, so I guess the difference is heat loss? I am not an electrician.
EDIT: From some research, it sound like there is loss in conversion from AC to DC in L2 charging.
There is an overhead loss of during charging, and that overhead loss is not dependent on charge rate. So, the longer you charge, the more loss there is: faster charge, less loss. Someone here has shown calculations. It's not insignificant.
Sponsored