• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using F150, CSP and HIS to discharge to a DC load

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm hoping that even without an actual HIS added to the account, and with an FCSP that isn't broken, it will still command the truck to close in the HVFC contacts.

That said, I'm not super confident that will happen. The terminals are labeled backup power. The FCSP even has status lights to indicate it is operating on backup power. I don't actually see anything that eludes to the 12v backup power blindly triggering contacts to close. I hope it does. Just seems a little odd that it would do that blindly.
Sponsored

DanielB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning XLT SR EG312A
I'm hoping that even without an actual HIS added to the account, and with an FCSP that isn't broken, it will still command the truck to close in the HVFC contacts.

That said, I'm not super confident that will happen. The terminals are labeled backup power. The FCSP even has status lights to indicate it is operating on backup power. I don't actually see anything that eludes to the 12v backup power blindly triggering contacts to close. I hope it does. Just seems a little odd that it would do that blindly.
When I was under the mistaken impression it was doing it over the power line, it seemed logical that it might just be simplified and automated. Now that I realize how convoluted the FCSP/HIS architecture is and the actual trigger occurs over Bluetooth I am doubtful. I guess fingers crossed still.

I wonder if we'll have better luck playing with something like Drawing power out of CCS port (V2x, inverse charging, bidirectional CCS) instead. I'm likely to just wait for one of these:

V2X Bi-Directional Charger
Wallbox Quasar 2
Enphase Bidirectional EV Charging

My preference would be a cheap EV charger with CCS1 connector that I can trigger the HVB charge contactors directly and homebrew the rest myself.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It may also be possible for someone who has a HIS and wants to nerd out... to reverse engineer whatever RS485 comms are being send between the HIS and FCSP. Then it's just a matter of telling the FCSP what it wants to hear.

Jakebeans

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 511A ER Black
Occupation
Controls Engineer
It may also be possible for someone who has a HIS and wants to nerd out... to reverse engineer whatever RS485 comms are being send between the HIS and FCSP. Then it's just a matter of telling the FCSP what it wants to hear.
Do you think it's actually RS-485 comms? Over the two contact connections? If I remember right, those are the pins it uses to communicate with DC fast chargers, but I also think it's a PLC protocol. Very confusing for someone who works in the industrial world, because PLC means programmable logic controller in my world. But I've fucked with (very rarely) RS-485 comms in the past, so if that's all it is, that would be cool. Something like Morbus would make the most sense. I don't remember her name off the top of my head, but she has a YouTube channel and she's on here, and she took apart her FCSP and the inverter had an RS-485 port on it, so it's possible that's what they're doing.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you think it's actually RS-485 comms? Over the two contact connections? If I remember right, those are the pins it uses to communicate with DC fast chargers, but I also think it's a PLC protocol.
He’s talking about the comms between the FCSP and the HIS, not the truck.

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Yes I'm talking about the RS485 comms between the FCSP and the Sunrun HIS equipment.

Kenric

First Name
Kenric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER
There is 485 and another signal labeled PE. Wonder if that is something as simple as Power Enable?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
There is 485 and another signal labeled PE. Wonder if that is something as simple as Power Enable?
Where do you see PE? Note that for the J1772 connector PE refers to Protective Earth, i.e., Ground.
Ford F-150 Lightning Using F150, CSP and HIS to discharge to a DC load 1713313662193-y

DanielB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning XLT SR EG312A
Yeah, common wire for low voltage. From the Ford-Charge-Station-Pro-Installation-Guide.pdf:

Ford F-150 Lightning Using F150, CSP and HIS to discharge to a DC load 1713366056066-gt
Sponsored