• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using FCSP With Other EVs

JayKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
This is likely a dumb question and may have been asked already...

My Ford Charge Station Pro is showing up next week and I'm trying to find out if I can use it with other EVs. I have a Wrangler 4xe that takes a J1772 plug, but it doesn't have the CCS connector at the bottom. Is there any way to use the FCSP to charge it, or other EVs?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not gonna work

Ford F-150 Lightning Using FCSP With Other EVs 2A7CF0BD-A5CA-4770-B541-CEEBFA6FE7A5

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Also, no electrical reason an adapter could not be made. But I think there has been no need for one in the past, so thinking one probably doesn't exist. With CHAdeMO dying there is probably not much reason to create on either. Maybe to support hybrids and electric J 1772 ATVs with low power capabilities I guess.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Only EVs with CCS (CCS1) ports. No Leaf, no Wrangler 4xe it sounds like.
Most PHEVs do not have the CCS ports so that means the Ford unit is a no go with these.

OP
OP

JayKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You may still need to file off the little nub at the bottom of the adapter if it interferes with the CCS plug support, but otherwise this should allow you to "eliminate" the CCS plug from the CSP.
I'm guessing @tommolog would have some strong warnings about this.

OP
OP

JayKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Unfortunately, I thought this would be the outcome. Since I can't use the FCSP to charge other EVs, i'll try to sell it and then buy something that will give me more than the 30a the mobile charger provides.

If anyone is interested in buying a charge station pro, please let me know. I'll post it over in the marketplace area too.

Sponsored

MXHanz

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
Occupation
Classified
I would also like to figure out how to charge my wife’s XC90 PHEV from the CSP if possible. We just use 110 right now, which takes too long. I’m debating having a 14-50 outlet put in the garage to make use of the ford mobile charger for her car to cut down on the charge time.

My question then is, would the 32a extension listed above be safe for use with the CSP if the car was not able to charge at a rate requiring more than 32a? Quick research shows that the XC90 (and most PHEVs) won’t pull more than 3.6ish KW. That would give me more time to have the 240v outlet installed in the garage (may not even be possible to add to my panel in addition to the 100 amp for the CSP)

I’m still learning how this all works, but this seems to me like it would make sense. Am I misunderstanding this?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I would also like to figure out how to charge my wife’s XC90 PHEV from the CSP if possible. We just use 110 right now, which takes too long. I’m debating having a 14-50 outlet put in the garage to make use of the ford mobile charger for her car to cut down on the charge time.

My question then is, would the 32a extension listed above be safe for use with the CSP if the car was not able to charge at a rate requiring more than 32a? Quick research shows that the XC90 (and most PHEVs) won’t pull more than 3.6ish KW. That would give me more time to have the 240v outlet installed in the garage (may not even be possible to add to my panel in addition to the 100 amp for the CSP)

I’m still learning how this all works, but this seems to me like it would make sense. Am I misunderstanding this?
The car will only ask for as much power as it can use. Our xc90t8 pulls 15 or 16 amp from a 30 amp EVSE (when it is warm. If the outside temp is in the 20s or colder and the battery is also cold it will often only pull 6 or 7 amp.) A short extension should work if you notch the female end to mate with the male end of the fcsp. The DC pins will never be energized when plugged into the extension.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I’m debating having a 14-50 outlet put in the garage to make use of the ford mobile charger for her car to cut down on the charge time.
My opinion, do this. It should work well until you see if someone comes out with a CCS1 to J1772 adapter for FCSP. The Ford Mobile Power Cord is actually 30 Amps, not 32. There's probably a weird story behind those missing 2 Amps.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../F150LightningMobilePowerCord-Specs_08_v2.pdf
Sponsored