• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using Tesla Mobile Charger with a J1772 adapter?

TNVolFan

First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT Stanard Range
I have a Tesla mobile connector and was wondering if I can use it - along with a J1772 adapter - as the fulltime option to charge my Lightning. I don't have an option to install a hard wired charger.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yes, it should work.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
I have a Tesla mobile connector and was wondering if I can use it - along with a J1772 adapter - as the fulltime option to charge my Lightning. I don't have an option to install a hard wired charger.
Absolutely you can, there are a couple things to take note of though. Anytime you add adapters, you add points that can wear or fail, also be careful of the quality of components, I'm not convinced the Tesla mobile connector is one of the higher quality ones on the market, but it may be that my experience is just with the older ones. And there are a lot of cheap j1772 adapters that may also not be the best options.

Overall just realize that mobile connectors usually aren't going to be as sturdy as the commercial charge points that you connect to on occasion, and pay attention to long-term wear. I'm convinced that most of these mobile connectors are really only designed for occasional use.

But otherwise, yes you can. Since I sold my Tesla to buy the lightning, I'm still using a charger with a Tesla connector and an adapter on my truck. That said, the replacement parts to make it j1772 have arrived, I just haven't had time to do the install yet.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
What others have said. The adapter will likely be the first point of failure. I charge my truck with a Tesla Wall Connector. Bought it before they released the Universal-style. For months I used a TeslaTap 80amp adapter (not the compact one) and eventually I started having issues with it.

I recently bought the A2Z adapter to replace the TeslaTap. Not only is it more compact and less expensive, but the quality also seems higher.

Lastly, if you have to charge outside like I do, buy a weather-resistant charge port cover. That way you’re less likely to have water get into the insides of the adapter. Happened to me before.

Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I do it every day with an 80amp Tesla charger and an 80amp Teslatap mini. Works great!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I use a 60A rated Lectron adapter to charge at 48A at home from our Tesla charger or at 40A from a Tesla Corded Mobile Connector at my shop. The Corded Mobile Connector is the same as their regular mobile connector, but hardwired with a NEMA 14-50 plug and it charges at 40A instead of the 32A of their gen-2 UMC.
Sponsored