• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Want 4000 lb payload? Ford E-Transit Chassis Cab

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
For those who really need a heavier payload electric truck, one option a lot of people might not be aware of is the Ford E-Transit Chassis Cab. Its just the Cab portion of Ford's electric van. Intended to have a custom body added to it like a Box Truck or Flatbed. Over 4000 lbs of body+payload capacity.

Four Serious Drawbacks:
Battery Range is only like 126 miles (some report getting up to 140).
In the U.S., its only available in the extra-long 178" wheelbase version.
Its only rear-wheel drive.
Not rated for towing at all.

Some other nit-picks:
U.S. they don't offer the double cab like they do on gas-powered Transit Chassis Cab in Europe.
Ford doesn't offer the 3-across seating option in the E-Transit.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/commercial-trucks/e-transit/2023/models/chassis-cab/

https://fordauthority.com/2021/11/2...sis-cab-spotted-for-first-time-photo-gallery/

Ford F-150 Lightning Want 4000 lb payload?  Ford E-Transit Chassis Cab 1663164264268
Sponsored

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Across the street neighbor is purchasing the van, and just received I think a build date. In a few months will be interested to check it out.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Yes, also the E-Transit enclosed cargo van if you need to haul enclosed cargo. Lots of reviews and forums dedicated to that.

I drove one at a local dealer, and its pretty much the same experience as the F150 Lightning - its a fully-functional Transit cargo van that happens to be electric drive. Same dash and 12" Sync screens as the F150 Lightning. Similar regen braking modes. Good acceleration, but not like the F150 Lightning with only one motor in the rear. Lots of cameras, so maneuvering the van around a crowded parking lot was no problem.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom...nsit/2023/models/cargo-van/?gnav=vhpnav-specs

Last edited:
OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Ford, if you are listening, the E Transit Chassis Cab configuration I really want to buy:
  • Double the battery to 136 kwh. / 250 miles
  • AWD for dealing with slick winter roads here in MN.
  • 3-across seating.
  • 140" +/- wheelbase / 18-20' Overall Length.
  • Tow Rating to 10,000 or even 12,000 lbs with brake controller.
  • Piggyback tool box + 10' drop-side box/bed.
I love the idea of a more cab-forward electric truck. Use that extra space for more versatile cargo capabilities. Ditch the Frunk.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Range is 126 miles, 68kWh battery, so they're assuming 126/68 = 1.85 miles per kWh.

Ford researched this heavily and reports the average daily miles driven for commercial vans is 74 miles. The 126 mile range takes into account cold weather, i.e. they are targeting the 74 miles in the dead of winter.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/e-transit/2022/

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford, if you are listening, the E Transit Chassis Cab configuration I really want to buy:
  • Double the battery to 136 kwh. / 280 miles
  • AWD for dealing with slick winter roads here in MN.
  • 3-across seating.
  • 140" +/- wheelbase / 18-20' Overall Length.
  • Tow Rating to 10,000 or even 12,000 lbs with brake controller.
  • Piggyback tool box + 10' drop-side box/bed.
I love the idea of a more cab-forward electric truck. Use that extra space for more versatile cargo capabilities. Ditch the Frunk.
This is not designed for most of what you've listed. It's for delivery vans.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
This is not designed for most of what you've listed. It's for delivery vans.
Yep. My wish list is based on building the truck I really want using the Chassis Cab as the starting point. Not for a delivery van usage.

I am sure Ford will eventually build electric E-series and F-series chassis cab heavier duty configurations and probably hit most of the points on my list.
But I really like the Transit's much more cab-forward design, so hoping they continue on that platform. The Transit configuration seems much more popular in Europe.
Sponsored