• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Tesla has always done a good job with efficiency. I expect CT to beat lightning by at least 25%. 300 miles on a 100kWh battery would be next level for a pickup truck. Ram's idea of more batteries for range seems short sighted. Stellantis and LG better get on that Canadian battery factory ASAP!

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 8.53.21 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 9.03.06 AM.png
I'm not saying the Tesla isn't more efficient, but if you drive both of those vehicles in the real world, the efficiency between the two is a lot closer than that.
Sponsored

Kman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Things I miss about my Ram interior:
  • Power steps retract out AND DOWN making egress in and out of the vehicle much more comfortable. Ford goes out but NOT down, making them almost useless.
  • Rear view mirrors are slightly larger, and have the convex mirror in one corner.
  • Ford has the God awful gear shifter in the most prime real estate in the whole vehicle. Ram puts it as a knob and out of the way.
  • Ram's entire center console is waaaay better. Ford has two cup holders, a thin slot, and the gear shifter. Ram's can slide back and forth giving multiple positions, and more bins for change and small items.
  • Storage under the armrest, Ram has two bins, a small one on top for small items, and a large one on the bottom. Ford has no small bin as it folds into a table (useless for my needs) and only the large bin.
  • Ram wireless phone charger is visible while driving, and easy to slide your phone in and out. Ford's setup is terrible. It's very hard to get your phone through the small opening and above the little lip where the phone goes, and it sits horizontal so not clearly visible while driving.
  • Steering wheel - Ram's wheel, the top 1/3 of the wheel (from 10oclock to 2oclock position) is a wood trim. This is ideal if you ever have to drive with dirty hands. Ford's is all leather, and will get messed up (I permanently messed up the leather on an old Nissan I had because of this).
  • Manual buttons for AC control. Ram has physical buttons on the left of the touch screen. Ford you have to use the touchscreen to hit the tiny little fan button, then use the dial to turn fan speed up and down. Very annoying!
  • Ram touchscreen is dual screen, so you can have navigation on top, with radio or phone on the bottom, or customize to how you want it. Ford has no dual screen option, so you have a massive screen of only one thing at a time.
  • Ram floor mats - Awesome design with carpeted floor mats, but also have rubber mats that snap into the carpeted ones, so you can add or remove them easily, they look premium, and you get the best of both worlds. The Ford has carpeted, I also ordered the rubber mats, but they look like crap. The driver side rubber mat, the corners are all bent and look dingy, I ended up trimming them slightly but still looks like crap, and it slides around.
  • In the back seat, the fold down armrest/cup holder, Ram's is really nice with a wide armrest, two nice cupholders and a storage bin. Ford is dinky with just two small cup holders.
  • Dashboard is completely wrapped with leather, there is leather everywhere you look, and its a far more premium finish.
Overall I think Ram puts more thought and detail into their vehicles, especially the interior, and are trying to make a luxury vehicle.
Of course the acceleration, handling and frunk storage of the Lightning completely blows the Ram away.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Tesla has always done a good job with efficiency. I expect CT to beat lightning by at least 25%. 300 miles on a 100kWh battery would be next level for a pickup truck. Ram's idea of more batteries for range seems short sighted. Stellantis and LG better get on that Canadian battery factory ASAP!

Those 300 miles are most likely closer to 265-270 in my experience with my Model 3.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
-I like the idea of the REV head's up display.
-Are they betting on a "Solid State" or other advanced battery to get more kW-hrs at a reasonable weight?
-The 800Vdc charging probably is a plus, although the Lightning keeps a pretty steady input to 80%.
-The Silverado EV rear wheel steering would seem more advantageous than the Lightning or REV.
-The Silverado bed is 5'11" with all the mid-gate length enhancements.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
100% agree with the Ram vs Ford interior points made.

In theory, we were 'coming from' a 2019 RAM Limited, loaded w Ramboxes, two-tone 22s, 5-height air suspension, power running boards, real pinstriped wood and embroidered/baseball stitched leather everywhere to our 2022 Lariat ER...

In reality, we still have both trucks... I can't seem to part with the ultra luxury of the RAM and hey, why not have an ICE truck for long tows and winter range (as well as being more of a dog truck)... and *just in case* we end up with the Ford in the shop for growing pains (knock on wood, flawless, stellar performance from the Lariat ER so far!)

Sponsored

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
Things I miss about my Ram interior:
  • Power steps retract out AND DOWN making egress in and out of the vehicle much more comfortable. Ford goes out but NOT down, making them almost useless.
  • Rear view mirrors are slightly larger, and have the convex mirror in one corner.
  • Ford has the God awful gear shifter in the most prime real estate in the whole vehicle. Ram puts it as a knob and out of the way.
  • Ram's entire center console is waaaay better. Ford has two cup holders, a thin slot, and the gear shifter. Ram's can slide back and forth giving multiple positions, and more bins for change and small items.
  • Storage under the armrest, Ram has two bins, a small one on top for small items, and a large one on the bottom. Ford has no small bin as it folds into a table (useless for my needs) and only the large bin.
  • Ram wireless phone charger is visible while driving, and easy to slide your phone in and out. Ford's setup is terrible. It's very hard to get your phone through the small opening and above the little lip where the phone goes, and it sits horizontal so not clearly visible while driving.
  • Steering wheel - Ram's wheel, the top 1/3 of the wheel (from 10oclock to 2oclock position) is a wood trim. This is ideal if you ever have to drive with dirty hands. Ford's is all leather, and will get messed up (I permanently messed up the leather on an old Nissan I had because of this).
  • Manual buttons for AC control. Ram has physical buttons on the left of the touch screen. Ford you have to use the touchscreen to hit the tiny little fan button, then use the dial to turn fan speed up and down. Very annoying!
  • Ram touchscreen is dual screen, so you can have navigation on top, with radio or phone on the bottom, or customize to how you want it. Ford has no dual screen option, so you have a massive screen of only one thing at a time.
  • Ram floor mats - Awesome design with carpeted floor mats, but also have rubber mats that snap into the carpeted ones, so you can add or remove them easily, they look premium, and you get the best of both worlds. The Ford has carpeted, I also ordered the rubber mats, but they look like crap. The driver side rubber mat, the corners are all bent and look dingy, I ended up trimming them slightly but still looks like crap, and it slides around.
  • In the back seat, the fold down armrest/cup holder, Ram's is really nice with a wide armrest, two nice cupholders and a storage bin. Ford is dinky with just two small cup holders.
  • Dashboard is completely wrapped with leather, there is leather everywhere you look, and its a far more premium finish.
Overall I think Ram puts more thought and detail into their vehicles, especially the interior, and are trying to make a luxury vehicle.
Of course the acceleration, handling and frunk storage of the Lightning completely blows the Ram away.
I haven't been in a nice ram so I can't debate these but some of these things are preferences. For instance I hate gear knob so much. I love gear shifters because I just like to lay my hand on it. Maybe because I used to drive manual. Next, I absolutely love the thin slot for placing my phone. It goes there everytime. The charging pad doesn't get a lot of use and I always feel it could be better with every vehicle that implements one. I was happy to see that it wasn't the worst one. I think It should be in the flat section above the 15 inch display. It should also let me charge ear buds that support it. I couldn't charge my ear buds on the Lightning charging pad. Didn't see to pick it up. I feel the flat top that folds out is better than nothing but it would be nice to option to something for functional for those that don't need a table.

T3Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
-I like the idea of the REV head's up display.
-Are they betting on a "Solid State" or other advanced battery to get more kW-hrs at a reasonable weight?
-The 800Vdc charging probably is a plus, although the Lightning keeps a pretty steady input to 80%.
-The Silverado EV rear wheel steering would seem more advantageous than the Lightning or REV.
-The Silverado bed is 5'11" with all the mid-gate length enhancements.

They're betting on brute force, which in this case is more batteries. At 168 kWH for the REV's standard pack it's about 20% larger than the ER F150.

I do really like the HUD and rear steer and hope they make it as at least options on the next Lightning.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Completely agree. I miss my 2019 Ram interior. My Lightning is very ordinary. Can't stand the feel of that "leather " steering wheel. Feels like hard plastic.

The ride though is fantastic.
Is the ford or ram ride quality better? I have a 2009 ram 1500 and it rides pretty nice.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

For doing truck things, I want batteries not efficiency. The reason is when you drive fast, tow, or otherwise don't do the ideal EPA test cycle, you don't suffer extreme range loss.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
How bad is the range impact with LFP when cold soaked (i.e. not plugged in for 8+ hours in freezing temps)? That is my biggest concern with LFP.
I don't noticed any difference compared to my previous EV's (Ioniq 5, ID 4, Bolt, TM3 Dual Motor) other than regen is non existent when cold soaked. Tesla of course remedies this issue with a setting allowing the brakes to simulate regen. I do routinely charge 1 hr prior to departure in cold weather and have for all my EV's. Even NCA based EV's should be plugged in during freezing temps. Buy the appropriate vehicle for your needs and location. Diesels don't like the cold and require being plugged in during extreme cold temps. LFP is great for most people as they don't live in environments with extreme cold temps. I have been very impressed with the efficiency, charging, and performance of my TM3 LFP. I purchased it for the LFP battery and its major benefits: longevity, 100% charging, safety (thermal runaway events). Purchased Sept 2022 and currently at 8000 miles with an average of 4.24 miles per kWh. That number should be closer to 5 going into spring and summer.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Is the ford or ram ride quality better? I have a 2009 ram 1500 and it rides pretty nice.
The ride in my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with air suspension was noticeably better than my Lariat ER. The Lariat is more harsh on a bumpy road and it gets a little squirrelly when there's a large break in pavement. The Ford still handles very well and corners much better than the Ram.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
For doing truck things, I want batteries not efficiency. The reason is when you drive fast, tow, or otherwise don't do the ideal EPA test cycle, you don't suffer extreme range loss.
Putting more batteries into an inefficient truck negates the benefits of a BEV. At that point a PHEV makes more sense economically, usability, and financially. Manufacturers can't currently scale at any meaningful volume BEVs with NCA batteries larger than 82 kWh. Improvements in aero, thermodynamics, and manufacturing are required to make a BEV financially viable irregardless of the type of vehicle. Until there is a break thru in battery chemistry, large NCA battery EV's are currently break even or money losers.

Last edited:

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
As a first wave Pro owner who works for Stellantis, I’ve thrown down my $100 to reserve my place for a Ram. It will all depend on pricing. I don’t think I can move from my $41K Pro into a $75K standard range Ram. It will be interesting to see EV fed credits and if Stellantis will honor employee pricing when these finally hit the market. All in all I think Ford did a wonderful job on the Lightning and I really enjoy mine!
I have done the same and have reservations on many other future EV's. It's unlikely an EV truck will have all the standard features of the Pro model for anywhere close to its introductory price. The automotive industry now understands the costs required to produce an EV Truck. The public also knows the pros/cons of an EV truck and there is demand. Ford needs to sell Lariat and Platinum trims to make the Lightning viable financially. If Tesla ships the CT and offers it at $70K to start, it will cause pricing pressure for all competitors. I don't see a EV truck selling in the $40s unless it has a LFP battery and possibly RWD.

Last edited:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I'm not saying the Tesla isn't more efficient, but if you drive both of those vehicles in the real world, the efficiency between the two is a lot closer than that.
Agree! The Tesla is known to lower than claimed range, although not far from.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Looks like the RAM EV is just another Lightning. At that time, Silverado with mid-gate is in marker for one whole year, 2nd gen Lightning would be on order, no need to mention CT.
Sponsored