• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I put $100 down. If its what we see in the video, yeah, I'd pay 100k two years from now. I missed out on bed scales due to supply issues. This may be my quickest way to fix that since I can't exactly order another Lightning today. Based on the dealership bullshit I went through, I have zero loyalty to Ford.

Funny they're calling it a "membership fee" which I assume is to minimize any liability risk on truck price or availability guarantees.
Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
229 kWh is just wasteful, and it still won't be a panacea for long distance towing.

I strongly believe the focus should be on PHEV.

BuildBackBadder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
It seems good strategy to not compete directly with Tesla with comparable products. RAM is targeting buyers who want an EV that can tow distances. Ford is for buyers who want America's best selling truck electrified. Tesla and Rivian are on/off road adventure status vehicles. Silverado is a modern interpretation of a full sized truck electrified, a bespoke design for efficiency and packaging.

Some other thoughts regarding the RAM Rev: The charging infrastructure and most peoples homes can't accommodate charging these huge batteries. The tremendous weights of these trucks will create other challenges: heavy duty recovery vehicles needed when towed, added stress on roads/driveways, accidents, insurance battery claims, firefighting of thermo runaway events, etc.
A heavier vehicle will go through tires that much quicker.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I don't want the compromises of the LiFP batteries that will be in this next round of EVs. I am pretty convinced that the Lightning will be a classic, especially with Ford itself talking T3 (aka unibody truck) and no Lightning for the next gen F150.
I would gladly swap out my battery pack for a LFP equivalent if available now. Add DCFC preconditioning plus a heat pump and it's ideal for the SR model. I already have a CATL LFP pack in my TM3 that I am very happy with. Benefits of LFP: Full advertised range with 100% charging, minimal degradation, safer-no thermal runaway event, cheaper-less cost to consumer. I have had no compromises with LFP in my usage and location (CT). Battery preconditioning helps mitigate any cold weather performance charging issues. Ford is on the right track with LFP.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
229 kWh is just wasteful, and it still won't be a panacea for long distance towing.

I agree, BEV's are not currently a viable solution for long distance towing. Considering they can produce 3 EV's from that 1 pack it is indeed wasteful. Packs should be capped at 150 kWh for consumer vehicles at this time.

I feel Toyota has an opportunity with PHEV trucks leveraging the technology found in the new Prius etc. They have more power and similar to better fuel economy.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I would gladly swap out my battery pack for a LFP equivalent if available now. Add DCFC preconditioning plus a heat pump and it's ideal for the SR model. I already have a CATL LFP pack in my TM3 that I am very happy with. Benefits of LFP: Full advertised range with 100% charging, minimal degradation, safer-no thermal runaway event, cheaper-less cost to consumer. I have had no compromises with LFP in my usage and location (CT). Battery preconditioning helps mitigate any cold weather performance charging issues. Ford is on the right track with LFP.
How bad is the range impact with LFP when cold soaked (i.e. not plugged in for 8+ hours in freezing temps)? That is my biggest concern with LFP.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

It's very useful for the American west. This are the same people who pay for the upgrade from the 25 gallon to 40 gallon gas tank though.

Ram knows their customer base in this regards. It is also true the vast majority will be sold east of the mississippi or on the west coast, which could get away with less.

Another hidden fact is it enables 350kw charging due to lower C rate (~1.5C), for a long period of time.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So when are actual deliveries supposed to start?
Nobody knows. They don't have a factory to build them yet. Illinois is trying to get them built at Belvidere. The battery plant they are building in Indiana won't be operational until 2025

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I've test driven Ram trucks before and I've always found the inside to be smaller and less comfortable than the F150. Since you've owned a Ram, I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
We owned a Ram 1500 Limited before our Lariat ER. I've also spent time with the Lightning Platinum at a dealer. I think the Lariat seats were marginally more comfortable than the Ram's and its nice to have the Ford's power memory steering wheel. Otherwise the Ram interior beats the Lariat and Platinum in pretty much every other way. They'd still beat the Ford if they took the 2019 Ram interior and dropped it into the 2024 Ram Rev.

-Leather was more durable and wore better in the Ram compared to the Lariat
-Rear seat space was equivalent with the added benefit of reclining seats and cooled seats in the rear in the Ram
-pretty much every surface on the dash was soft touch or wrapped with leather/vinyl in the Ram. The Ford's upper dash and door cards are hard plastic and look/feel much cheaper even in the Platinum
-the wood trim in the Ram feels more real and substantial than in the Lightning Platinum
-hard buttons for HVAC even with the Ram's large portrait screen are a huge plus
-the sound system in the Limited sounded about equivalent to the Lariat IMO
-ambient lighting was done better in the Ram, especially in the dash area
-the Ram's center console was more spacious because the gear selector was on the dash. I do love the fold down fast food table in the Ford though. I'm also not a fan of the Ram's gear selector because it's easy to confuse it with the volume dial when you want to adjust the stereo or switch gears.
-it's hard to compare the Ram's ride/handling to the Lightning because of ICE vs BEV, but the Ram with air suspension seemed to ride (but not corner) better than the Ford. I think the Ram Rev with air suspension and adaptive dampers is going to easily beat the Ford.

Spec wise the current-gen Lightning is not going to be able to compete with the Ram, except maybe on price. I expect that we'll know a lot more about the Gen 2 Lightning by time Ram starts taking orders, though, so it may be pointless to compare today's Lightning to the Rev.

Sponsored

dannynoone

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Big 3 Automaker Manager
As a first wave Pro owner who works for Stellantis, I’ve thrown down my $100 to reserve my place for a Ram. It will all depend on pricing. I don’t think I can move from my $41K Pro into a $75K standard range Ram. It will be interesting to see EV fed credits and if Stellantis will honor employee pricing when these finally hit the market. All in all I think Ford did a wonderful job on the Lightning and I really enjoy mine!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
As a first wave Pro owner who works for Stellantis, I’ve thrown down my $100 to reserve my place for a Ram. It will all depend on pricing. I don’t think I can move from my $41K Pro into a $75K standard range Ram. It will be interesting to see EV fed credits and if Stellantis will honor employee pricing when these finally hit the market. All in all I think Ford did a wonderful job on the Lightning and I really enjoy mine!
If Stellantis is anything like Ford, don't expect employee pricing on EV"s to be like ICE vehicles. My employee discount on my Lightning was about a third of what I would have received on an ICE truck that had a similar price.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Likewise, I've given $100 to Stellantis to buy my place in line to order a RAM. I'm a Ford guy and love my Lightning..but 500mi and faster charging speed would push me towards RAM. I do think RAM competes more with t3 and silverado EV/GMC than it does current Lightning.

I'm not really a fan of Silverado EV styling, so I lean towards the sierra or RAM. I think price wise if I can pick up a 400 or 500 mi EV for under $80k(tax credit) its a no brainer to upgrade. Even at $90-100k its still probable for me.....$100k+ seems like its too much to pay for the range increase.

We'll see how everything looks when prices are announced.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
The only way the CT should get a 100kwh battery is if the single motor version isn't actually scrapped. That version was noted as having 250 miles in range. As the SR Lightnings are just below this and weren't designed as EV's from the ground up due to a lot of ICE F-150 parts, I think 250 miles on 100kwh isn't an absurd idea.

If they aren't getting rid of the single motor CT, it would be a miracle to see 300 miles EPA range from a 100kwh battery.
Tesla has always done a good job with efficiency. I expect CT to beat lightning by at least 25%. 300 miles on a 100kWh battery would be next level for a pickup truck. Ram's idea of more batteries for range seems short sighted. Stellantis and LG better get on that Canadian battery factory ASAP!

Ford F-150 Lightning Competition: Ram 1500 REV Specs Released - Range, Towing, Payload and Charge Time Info Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 8.53.21 AM
Ford F-150 Lightning Competition: Ram 1500 REV Specs Released - Range, Towing, Payload and Charge Time Info Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 9.03.06 AM

Last edited:

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
My 2019 Ram interior is miles ahead of my 2023 Lightning. Ford has a lot of catching up to do in that regard.
Obviously the handling, acceleration, quiet ride, etc. is way better in the Lightning, but I don’t know how much is attributed to it being EV vs. gas, so not sure I can give Ford engineers the credit just yet.
But Ford has actually made and delivered an EV truck that is in customers hands RIGHT NOW.
Ram is at least 3 years away from the first customer delivery, so 5 years away from mass production. So you can’t compare your Lightning to this. Ram is nothing more than a concept vehicle.
In that regard, Ford is miles ahead.
Completely agree. I miss my 2019 Ram interior. My Lightning is very ordinary. Can't stand the feel of that "leather " steering wheel. Feels like hard plastic.

The ride though is fantastic.
Sponsored