• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What are your dealers saying about Lightning?

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
Hey everybody, long time no post. I just heard from my dealer that the order banks open Oct. 26th which most of us know by now. I am meeting with my dealer to place my order even though I'm probably at around 100k mark on the reservation list. I also inquired about allocation and my dealer said that they were set to get some lightnings in 2022. He said the number of allocation per dealer is projected by state/region and past EV sales. I'm taking everything with a grain of salt and don't expect delivery until 2023 hopefully. However, lets say my dealer is allocated 2 lightnings and I am the only one who reserved with that dealer. Despite my reservation number or time stamp, would I get my lightning in 22? I am just curious to hear what everyone's been told
Sponsored

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I was told the following by Granger Motors on Monday (unsolicited btw, I never emailed them).

“We have no insight on allocation at this point.

Next Step: When Ford opens ordering for 2022MY, we will reach back out to you for Build & Price and permission to convert your reservation to an order.

If you have any questions, please reach out and we will help where we can”.

My largely uniformed impression is that many dealers don’t even know exactly what is going on and the rest of us are left withering in social media-generated hearsay and speculation.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Most dealers know less than you guys do. Just saying.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Most dealers know less than you guys do. Just saying.
Agreed - my dealer promptly emails back and says "we don't know the details yet" but you are on our list....

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
An Allocation just means a dealer can order for their own stock. Your Reservation is a guaranteed Lightning to a Dealer of your choice on top of whatever Allocation they have been granted. It’s just a matter of knowing where you fall in line.

Dealer Allocation and your Reservation are not the same

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
An Allocation just means a dealer can order for their own stock. Your Reservation is a guaranteed Lightning to a Dealer of your choice on top of whatever Allocation they have been granted. It’s just a matter of knowing where you fall in line.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that each dealer will have a different priority for order builds, depending on sales volume, order conversion rates and local market factors. If that's true, your place in line would be valid at an individual dealer but not necessarily across dealers. You would also have to factor in trim/option availability so someone that orders a Platinum may have to wait longer than an XLT with an later reservation time stamp.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep

My understanding is initially dealers will be allowed to order for dealer stock, so initially allocations are for reservation holders. Hence the incentive for dealers to put ADM and add ons and generally be scumbags. So when a retail customer refuses delivery because the price is not what was agreed, the dealer can then take that unit as stock and sell for whatever the market will bear.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
My understanding is initially dealers will be allowed to order for dealer stock, so initially allocations are for reservation holders. Hence the incentive for dealers to put ADM and add ons and generally be scumbags. So when a retail customer refuses delivery because the price is not what was agreed, the dealer can then take that unit as stock and sell for whatever the market will bear.
Dealers will NOT be allowed to order for stock, I meant to type.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Called my dealer yesterday. They had no idea bout order banks opening 10.26. Not sure if that is the real date for opening or if they are just clueless.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I haven't talked to my salesman yet, but I did tag him in a Facebook post so he knows I'm coming. :) Life is different in a small city in South Dakota, The dealer is locally owned and I went to high school with him, the salesman used to be my neighbor. When I do an order like this on I find I have more info than he does. If ford releases any info you can bet that it will be on a forum like this within hours.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I've read elsewhere on this forum that each dealer will have a different priority for order builds, depending on sales volume, order conversion rates and local market factors. If that's true, your place in line would be valid at an individual dealer but not necessarily across dealers. You would also have to factor in trim/option availability so someone that orders a Platinum may have to wait longer than an XLT with an later reservation time stamp.
This is the case for regular orders that do not require reservation as I understand. When you order a vehicle through a dealer the dealer that has the most sales usually has more allocations and they get priority for builds. In this case if they are going by time stamp of your reservation then it shouldn’t matter what dealer you choose as you will get your truck at the same time regardless where you place your order. Maybe someone can clarify this.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Dealers will NOT be allowed to order for stock, I meant to type.
If this is true, then dealers will try to mark up the price of YOUR reservation and force you to either pay their extortion fee or give it up to someone else that will pay more than MSRP.

I don't like that idea at all - I hope Ford will allow dealers to order their own inventory (albeit very little) not to impact the reservation holders....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If this is true, then dealers will try to mark up the price of YOUR reservation and force you to either pay their extortion fee or give it up to someone else that will pay more than MSRP.

I don't like that idea at all - I hope Ford will allow dealers to order their own inventory (albeit very little) not to impact the reservation holders....
Yes, this is true. that is why there has been so much focus on what dealers on not charging ADM on orders. Note: For the Mach-e Ford corporate has been putting pressure on dealers to sell at MSRP and helping some folks out.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Yes, this is true.
Not completely. Dealers could still order a small number of demo MMEs. There were also plenty of people who legitimately abandoned their orders. Lots of people lost jobs in 2020 and couldn't afford to drop $40-60K on a new car. Also lots of people lost patience or decided that MME didn't fit their needs. All those became stock. Some dealers tried to extract ADM, and some got it, but with a little patience and perseverance it was possible to purchase stock MME at MSRP or even with X-Plan discount applied.

The Lightning is a bit different situation in that I think Ford never said that MME was sold out for 2 years, and for the first few months of 2021 it was possible to order MME and receive it by now.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The problem for dealers wanting to add a market adjustment to the Lightning will be that most already have a truck and at that point they’ll just walk.
Sponsored