• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning?

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I am wondering what to plug in at the next EV show. Thinking a microwave, with a corn popper inside, making popcorn?

Also a blender, just with water in it, maybe colored water. I'm not making drinks for the public.
Movie theatre style popper, soft serve machine and cotton candy machine. Make some easy money while you’re at it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Wow! Electricians had my power off from 10 this morning until 7:30 this evening. I used my Onboard Power and ran three extension cords. One to run my girlfriend's 2 computers and three monitors, printer, lamp, fan and phone charger, as she works from home for the last decade or so. Another cord for TV downstairs, cable box, wifi modem, desktop computer. The third cord ran our first floor refrigerator.

Also, the contractor asked if he could use my lightning to use his giant hammer drill. He used it off and on for several hours. All of this was running a little over 13 hours and used 3 percent of my battery!

This thing is a powerhouse on wheels! :love:

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Plugged in my 4K monitor and flew around with my DJI Mavic 3 Cine over Lake Erie via HDMI. It was nice to fly without having to squint and look into a small 5.5 inch screen on the controller.

I Love my Lightning. :cool:

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? 20230521_183925

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? 20230521_184948

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Using this old thread for a "new" question:

Looking at the second upstate NY winter with my Lightning and contemplating buying a small 500w ceramic heater for the cabin. Last winter proved how horrible the cabin heat can be to your range.
Anyone compared getting the cabin to a comfy temp using the factory heat vs something on the Pro Power circuit?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Using this old thread for a "new" question:

Looking at the second upstate NY winter with my Lightning and contemplating buying a small 500w ceramic heater for the cabin. Last winter proved how horrible the cabin heat can be to your range.
Anyone compared getting the cabin to a comfy temp using the factory heat vs something on the Pro Power circuit?
The law of conservation of energy still applies. The power still comes from the battery.
Add to that losses from the inverter….

Sponsored

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
The law of conservation of energy still applies. The power still comes from the battery.
Add to that losses from the inverter….
For sure.
It's just not clear to me how inefficient the OEM heating system is.
Hoping the heat pump in newer models will be an upgrade, but at my latitude in NY I'll be curious as to performance in the single digits with the heat pump.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For sure.
It's just not clear to me how inefficient the OEM heating system is.
Hoping the heat pump in newer models will be an upgrade, but at my latitude in NY I'll be curious as to performance in the single digits with the heat pump.
It would be an interesting experiment, but my bet is you won’t gain anything. Also, the internal heater is still going to run to maintain battery temps when it’s super-cold.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
This article (home heating) seems to support the idea that heat pumps can still be more efficient (by 75%) than resistive heating:
Heat Pumps in Cold Weather
And the Vapor Injection style to be used by Ford is a further enhancement compared to older systems.
I think the main drawback compared to a resistive heating, would be the maintenance of the Freon (leakage problems) and moving parts of the compressor, but that goes for air conditioning as well. Our 2017 Honda CR-V has an A/C recall due to leaky shaft seals that were not designed for the newer Freon.
How did folks one hundred years ago survive without these things?

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
-Carrying a 1/2" electric corded impact wrench for tire changes.
-Got the Bodega T50 refrigerator/freezer (freezer temperature not that steady, not sure if taking out middle divider if whole unit could be a freezer. I think frozen foods and a microwave (not purchased yet) are the way to go.
-Installed a Reliance "Through the Wall Kit" with a 30A 240Vac extension cord and heavy 120Vac extension cords for inside the house.
-Yep, a heated blanket, and a 750/1500W ceramic heater.
-Hoping to do some astrophotography out in the backcountry. Need to find an easy way to convert all the truck white lights to a muted red for eye sensitivity preservation. How can one temporarily cover lights with red taillight repair tape?
truedark.com junk dots might be what you are looking for per the lights

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
"Junk Light Dots" (5"x7" sheets) are an interesting idea for covering the bright white lights, but I wish they made bigger ones, especially for the front light bar and headlight surrounds, about 8 feet across! They might work for the inside lights, so that is cool.
Junk light dots from Amazon
Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? TrueDark Junk Light Dots Screenshot 2023-10-10 111632

Update 1-14-24:
Purchased the TrueDark Junk Light Dots and they did well covering interior and exterior lights, but some multiple pieces of the smalll sections were required.

Recently purchased from Etsy 12"x12" transparent red vinyl stick-on sheets that I plan on using on the pickup bed lights and for making replacements of the Junk Light Dots (and rectangles) that are peeling off on other lights. Some of the lights are still warm/hot to the touch, besides just outdoor sun/weather, so will be interesting to see how well the transparent vinyl lasts. Thought all the small lights would be cool LEDs, but I guess not.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/280543...=1&variation0=2886163744&variation1=790428221
Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? IMG_20230909_195205852_HDR Lightning lights to cover for dark sky sites telescope setups front

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? IMG_20230909_195039984 Lightning lights to cover for dark sky sites telescope setups

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you plugging in to your On-Board Power outlets in your Lightning? IMG_20230909_194948164 Lightning lights to cover for dark sky sites telescope setups

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
RyobI battery chainsaw in the frunk w/charger and a spare battery ‘cause winter winds means trees down on the highway. 12V yellow caution light though its magnetic 😂.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
RyobI battery chainsaw in the frunk w/charger and a spare battery ‘cause winter winds means trees down on the highway. 12V yellow caution light though its magnetic 😂.
I picked up one of those as well. It now lives in the bed of the truck. Used it no fewer than six times this summer. Super handy, super capable. Won't try felling anything larger than 10" with it, but for misc maintenance and trail clearing it's awesome.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
- my camper
- my mini fridge
- my coffee maker
- my fan(s)
- my tools
- my wireless phone charger
- need I say more?

yes, I do... my house.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
- my camper
- my mini fridge
- my coffee maker
- my fan(s)
- my tools
- my wireless phone charger
- need I say more?

yes, I do... my house.

Haven't expanded to the residential accessories (fridge, coffee maker fans, etc), but I have successfully backed up my house with it as proof of concept.

I've also charged my co-worked hybrid vehicles, use a corded charcoal lighter, and charged the drone batteries. Next big step would be cooking a meal with the truck. That would be sweet.

Now knowing the usefulness of the outlets on this truck, I'm a bit dumbfounded that Tesla has completely ignored this functionality.

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Haven't expanded to the residential accessories (fridge, coffee maker fans, etc), but I have successfully backed up my house with it as proof of concept.

I've also charged my co-worked hybrid vehicles, use a corded charcoal lighter, and charged the drone batteries. Next big step would be cooking a meal with the truck. That would be sweet.

Now knowing the usefulness of the outlets on this truck, I'm a bit dumbfounded that Tesla has completely ignored this functionality.

I too have charged many a drone battery in my Lightning. Having so many 120V outlets is priceless!
Sponsored