• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Features Do You Want to See In Next Gen Lightning?

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Audi Q5 Sportbak
Occupation
Pilot
I searched but didn't find this so thought I'd post. For me the Lightning is great, but could be better. My wish list:

Heads up display

Digital camera rear view mirror

Eliminate center shifter. Go to a pushbutton, dash knob, or stalk style to free up center console area. I know I can't be the only one who feels like the shifter is kind of flimsy and not necessary for a truck that is all drive-by-wire. It doesn't feel premium to the touch and takes up space.

Faster charging (I know this is probably a definite as most makers are going with faster architecture like Hyundai/Kia and now Audi)

More premium lighting accents. The milky white front DRL bar doesn't look near as premium as some other makes. Ford could take some design cues from Audi and make the lighting more distinctive and customizable. Directional turn signals are becoming commonplace and are a nice touch.

What did I miss?
Sponsored

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
  • I would take any kind of shifter over a stalk style. It gets in the way of where I like my phone mount
  • Built in dash cam and the ability to save recording from all cameras
  • Faster processing power and more modern looking software
  • A wireless phone charger that actually works with cooling or just eliminate it all together
  • I'm somewhat torn on this but maybe a different location for the charge port

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
  • Heads up - YES!
  • Camera Rear View - Maybe, I find the cameras available already are enough for me.
  • Shifter - Ford's going to see this and go "OK, move shifter to Sync screen" I still want a physical shifter a dial with the start button in the middle would be great. There are times my wife wants to use the fold out surface while I'm driving, and now it's got that weird angle to it.
  • Faster charging - follow what GM is doing with the Ultium and switch between series and parallel when charging to speed up.
  • Lighting - Smoke the light bar and the "7" shape around the headlights by default. Other than that, I'm good with what's here.
  • Dash Camera, and "Sentinel" cameras accessible to the owner. It's god aweful to have a truck covered in cameras, and I'm still needing to add another?!
  • Charge Port - move it to the other side, or have dual sides. Improve access to more chargers.

• Solar tonneau/camper - I know it won't produce enough to do much of anything, but it's otherwise a wasted flat space. More importantly is having the hardware ability to add charge while driving, perhaps lending us to a REX generator in the bed.
  • Sloped hood/frunk - Improve aero, improve visibility, sacrifice frunk space. I think this could be done to the existing trucks with an aftermarket hood. Would make the headlights a little more like pillars but for new models the headlights would be lowered.
  • Remote convenience - I don't know why we can't do this now, but after I remote start I should be able to remotely control the climate controls.
  • Lower profile, or airbags like the R1T has so we can lower the truck when doing interstate driving.
  • Ability to disconnect the front motor when highway driving. The R1T gets about 6% more range using this feature.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
  • MORE COLOR OPTIONS!
  • At least the option for smaller wheels and more rubber.
  • 10% to 20% better efficiency through a combination of improved powertrain and aero
  • 800V battery for faster charging
  • Either a lower ride height or ability to lower ride height at highway speeds.
  • Ability to ground the truck when using pro-power (drop down ground spike?)
  • More special edition models (i.e. road/track focused and off road focused)
  • Trim that can achieve low to mid 3s 0-60.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I want the next Gen Pro to be more of an Aptera and less of an Apple. Cheap to own and maintain. Hopefully Ford is watching the news.

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Drive-by-wire? You must have the Lightning confused with the Cybertruck.

OP
OP
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Audi Q5 Sportbak
Occupation
Pilot
There is definitely no cable from the gear shifter to a 'transmission' like in a traditional ICE setup. Heck, my 2023 Audi Q5 has a 'shift by wire' system. Very few cars are using a cable or mechanical linkage to shift the transmission these days.

The shifter is only sending a signal, along a wire, to the motor control unit. Hence, drive by wire. The console shifter in the Lightning is unnecessary, and frankly, cheap and flimsy. A different shift control would be a step up.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
BC 1.4 Lane Change Assist.

(Oh wait that is coming OTA by yearend. Wonder which year? 😡)

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
Tesla software, Rivian interior, ford truck design. If you argue with me, you’re wrong. 😂😂

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A drastically larger 500 “rated mile” battery and 800V charging so the thing is a legit road tripper. Right now I’d say the Lightning is “passable” for my use, but will soon be class trailing in terms of range once the Ram and GM offerings are in full production. I think there’s gonna have to be some better options for the cold weather and towing folks for the EV truck segment to really catch on. Hopefully the 450 mile battery in the Silverado puts pressure on Ford to make this happen, since this is really the only feature that would really pressure me to upgrade in the future to either a newer Lightning or some other brand with better capabilities.

I think the better software goes without saying at this point but I really enjoy the rest of the non-drivetrain aspects of the truck. I like how Ford didn’t try and mess with something that they’ve spent decades refining.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Based on my recent experience with rodents, I would like all wiring run in conduit and any other "tasty" materials suitably protected.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I searched but didn't find this so thought I'd post. For me the Lightning is great, but could be better. My wish list:

Heads up display

Digital camera rear view mirror

Eliminate center shifter. Go to a pushbutton, dash knob, or stalk style to free up center console area. I know I can't be the only one who feels like the shifter is kind of flimsy and not necessary for a truck that is all drive-by-wire. It doesn't feel premium to the touch and takes up space.

Faster charging (I know this is probably a definite as most makers are going with faster architecture like Hyundai/Kia and now Audi)

More premium lighting accents. The milky white front DRL bar doesn't look near as premium as some other makes. Ford could take some design cues from Audi and make the lighting more distinctive and customizable. Directional turn signals are becoming commonplace and are a nice touch.

What did I miss?
Dog mode
Sponsored