• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle?

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Got in the truck this morning, cool high 50s, but not cold. Battery temp was nominal. Charge was about 47%, and I noticed the throttle was limited to 95%. I have seen it limit it previously, but at much lower states of charge, given everything else was in the optimum range temperature wise.

I only ask as I just finally got my module swap completed and can't help but be a little paranoid that something is still off.

Ford F-150 Lightning What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle? PXL_20240327_133118875
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Got in the truck this morning, cool high 50s, but not cold. Battery temp was nominal. Charge was about 47%, and I noticed the throttle was limited to 95%. I have seen it limit it previously, but at much lower states of charge, given everything else was in the optimum range temperature wise.

I only ask as I just finally got my module swap completed and can't help but be a little paranoid that something is still off.
It’s temperature dependent, and what you describe sounds typical. It’ll start limiting power at higher SOCs when the pack is colder. My truck would do the same in those temps.

If the truck sees a problem, you’ll get a warning light and a trouble code. Don’t try to find problems by reading tea leaves with power delivery. It’ll let you know.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
In my experience it starts to limit power at 25% capacity. Anything before that is temperature dependent short of a drivetrain fault which would be obvious in its own right. I've had a 90% battery reduced to 65% power after a weekend out in sub-zero temps on a L1 charger. But after a minute or so of driving it was back into the 80s.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Seems a little odd to me. I've been below 46% and didnt' see any power drop.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
As @TomB985 stated... its a combination of temp and SOC. If the battery is cold you will see power reduced at a higher SOC threshold then if the battery is warm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
On cold mornings (under about 40 degree), if I set a departure time when the truck is connected to a charger (even if it is not charging) I get full 100% power from the battery. If I just jump into the truck to run an errand under similar conditions, my available power is limited to 95% or less.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
In addition to all the correct responses that it's normal and temp-dependent (in addition to reduced power at low SOC), it's also rare that you would have any noticeable impact on performance without a really significant reduction and/or a performance situation (think towing an extremely heavy load).

Rest easy that nothing is wrong - reduced power is nothing to get concerned with until it's completely out of whack with normal. And in that case the truck will almost certainly warn you that something is wrong.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
This should make you feel better. This was before the SOC display but I'm at about 45% and 52 degrees, almost exactly like you.
Ford F-150 Lightning What SOC level does the Lightning start limiting throttle? 1711558518680-x

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
The cold weather like 50ish F and below has the biggest impact. In warmer weather, you'll see 100% available deep into the battery.

Sponsored
OP
OP

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
That's why I was asking here. Just had it in the shop for over a month on a module replacement. Never seen this until much closer to 30% or so.

OP
OP

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The cold weather like 50ish F and below has the biggest impact. In warmer weather, you'll see 100% available deep into the battery.
Currently well over 60F here, still at 95%.

OP
OP

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
This should make you feel better. This was before the SOC display but I'm at about 45% and 52 degrees, almost exactly like you.
1711558518680-xn.png
Appreciate the confirmation! I plugged it in to see if anything above 50% charge changes things, though at that point, the batteries will probably warm to optimal, even though the read says they should already be there...

OP
OP

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It’s temperature dependent, and what you describe sounds typical. It’ll start limiting power at higher SOCs when the pack is colder. My truck would do the same in those temps.

If the truck sees a problem, you’ll get a warning light and a trouble code. Don’t try to find problems by reading tea leaves with power delivery. It’ll let you know.
I has definitely let me know with the 8+ powertrain wrench of deaths I've had in the year of owning it! haha

OP
OP

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
In addition to all the correct responses that it's normal and temp-dependent (in addition to reduced power at low SOC), it's also rare that you would have any noticeable impact on performance without a really significant reduction and/or a performance situation (think towing an extremely heavy load).

Rest easy that nothing is wrong - reduced power is nothing to get concerned with until it's completely out of whack with normal. And in that case the truck will almost certainly warn you that something is wrong.
Not really the drivability issue for me. It was much more of an issue at 57%, but that was a module failure. Moreso I am in the middle of a potential buyback. I love the truck when it is working as intended, but that has been the issue for me. Never had this issue prior to battery module replacement, and trying to ascertain how common this is vs another headache and weeks to months in the shop without a loaner, or go through the hassle of having to bite the bullet on the buyback and finding a new ride, with al the EV infrastructure in place...
Sponsored