• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter battery temperature management

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
if you don’t want to charge to maybe 90% every night during cold winter weather, which trickle charge method would you go with: mobile charger on 110v line or FCSP set to 6 amps? In every individual’s case there are physical pros and cons but just consider the HVB.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
if you don’t want to charge to maybe 90% every night during cold winter weather, which trickle charge method would you go with: mobile charger on 110v line or FCSP set to 6 amps? In every individual’s case there are physical pros and cons but just consider the HVB.
I would leave the FCSP where it‘s normally set and set a one-time charge limit in the truck…..if you don’t want to charge at all, put the limit below current state. But I’m not sure why not just let it go to 90%???

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I would rather have the battery discharge down to 20% then charge weekly to 90%. Keeping the charge rate low should avoid having the hvb sit at 90% for days.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I would rather have the battery discharge down to 20% then charge weekly to 90%. Keeping the charge rate low should avoid having the hvb sit at 90% for days.
I don’t think that strategy provides any tangible benefit. And don’t forget, in single-digit temps, your range could be 50% of summer.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I plugged the FCSP in to my truck at various amperages set with the charge station section of the Ford Pass app. To measure current I had to remove the bezel and front cover. While charging, I used the amperage slider to select each setting. At 80 I measured 78, at 64 I measured 64 and at 48, I got 48. So far so good. At 36 I measured varying amperages from 20 to 40. Not good. At 18 I got similar variability around 18 amp. The surprise was at 6 amps I measure 24 amps with erratic swinging measurements. I made the changes on the fly and measured with clamp meter.
I tried unplugging and re starting on the lower charge rates but that didn’t help. I stopped charging at 70%. I started around 42%.
I don’t think I’ll use the charger at low amps as a cold weather battery tender.
Sponsored