• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Article / chart: how temperature affects EV battery range

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The heating system could be a combination of heat pump down to subzero temps then resistance heat coils below heat pump cutout.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
The heating system could be a combination of heat pump down to subzero temps then resistance heat coils below heat pump cutout.
At what cost?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E (1st Edition), '09 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
IT Architect
I followed the link to the 'real world' range article, which in turn linked to another article with the data. But I immediately became concerned and think the title "real-world" is misleading. The article mentioned they were getting their data by looking at the range estimates that the car showed on the dashboard (affectionately known as the GOM or "guess-o-meter" because of how it works).

Ford's range projection on the dashboard GOM is based on driver habbits and is very conservative. It's pretty easy to beat the range estimate. It also didn't mention anything about pre-conditioning the battery (if you set a departure schedule and you leave it plugged in, it will use the AC power to pre-heat the batteries before you leave and this massively improves efficiency.)

I use the trip-efficiency tile on the center screen to compare how I'm really doing in the Mach-E relative to the car's EPA estimate. For my car it's 2.7 miles/kWh ... I check to see how I'm doing relative to that number.

Driving long distances in the cold temps this winter wasn't a problem. There was range reduction ... but with a pre-conditioned battery it wasn't a big deal. WITHOUT pre-conditioning ... yeah it's pretty noticeable.

Always plug-in in when it's freezing temps and always pre-condition the battery whenever you can.

BTW pre-conditioning currently only happens when you set a recurring departure schedule. Doing a simple remote-start doesn't pre-condition (it isn't nearly enough time ... pre-conditioning usually takes the better part of an hour ... or maybe even more.)

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
BTW pre-conditioning currently only happens when you set a recurring departure schedule. Doing a simple remote-start doesn't pre-condition (it isn't nearly enough time ... pre-conditioning usually takes the better part of an hour ... or maybe even more.)
Does the MME also reduce regen when it's cold? Tesla used to allow full regen in all temperatures until a couple years ago when they reduced it when the battery was below 67F. The lack of efficiency isn't a big deal unless you're going on a long trip, but the driving experience of driving with a cold battery is annoying when you're used to 1 pedal driving and then you have nothing slowing you down.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does the MME also reduce regen when it's cold? Tesla used to allow full regen in all temperatures until a couple years ago when they reduced it when the battery was below 67F. The lack of efficiency isn't a big deal unless you're going on a long trip, but the driving experience of driving with a cold battery is annoying when you're used to 1 pedal driving and then you have nothing slowing you down.
Not at all - at least in our Mach-e GT. Regen braking (1 pedal drive) works the same at any temperature. Max power is reduced at lower temps however.
Sponsored