• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Would you give your Frunk up for 10 more miles of range?

Would you give up the Frunk as it is for 10 miles more range?

• Give me better range

• Leave the Frunk alone

• Got to give me more then 10 miles then I'll consider.

• Don't use the Frunk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
Have my first 10 days with my Lightning under my belt and starting to realize what I like and what I am not crazy about. The truck is hands down the best driving truck/SUV I have ever driven. Fast, smooth and just a pleasure to be in.

I could not afford the 10k for the extended range battery and have some anxiety over the stated 230 mile range. Really 203 if charging to 90% and then I live in a colder climate and cannot precondition. I have one charger and that stays plugged in to our Tesla at night, so the cold morning range is more like 193 when I get in it.

With that if Ford had designed the truck with a more aero front end I imagine you could see a significant range increase from lower drag coefficient. If you had a vote for 10 more miles of range and loosing the frunk as we know it or keep the current range and leave the frunk alone, what would it be?

For me it is easy. I say leave it the Frunk alone. I love that big old storage area. So perfect for a pick up. My wifes Y has a storage area in the front and we have never touched it. Not that important in an SUV and to small to bother with. The Frunk though is perfect height, size and works perfectly for the truck user. It also blows peoples minds while at shopping center. They can't believe what they are seeing.

Anyway love many things about the truck. Not crazy about the range but IMO Ford should never compromise on the wonderful Frunk.
Sponsored

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
I live in a cold climate and don't precondition, but I dont have drive too far on a daily basis. What's your daily commute like?

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah, I am totally a Frunkie, or maybe a Frunkster.

OP
OP
Coolbreeze704

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I live in a cold climate and don't precondition, but I don't have drive too far on a daily basis. What's your daily commute like?
It is secondary roads and round trip around 35 miles. I have to take a 90 mile trip one way tomorrow and it makes me consider taking the Model Y instead of the truck because I will be pushing its limits on range and I am not sure about the current charging networks on the route.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
After pulling out the noisemaker I use it all the time. It's just so much more useful than other frunks:

-big as a corolla trunk, low load floor, good lighting
-open/close with buttons on key fob, app, or physical button on frunk itself
-power outlets

It's one of the best features on a vehicle that I can think of.

Sponsored

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
I have a Mach E and a Lightning. In the Mach E, the frunk is a novelty. I hardly ever use it. In the Lightning, I use it ALL the time. It is awesome! LTFA!

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
It was one of the bargaining chips I had with the wife, and its always one of the those things that I missed about having a truck vs a car.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hands off the frunk. It is a major selling point for the Lightning! Though they could fix how hard it POPS when it opens. Seriously, does it have to bang that much?

But it needs a bigger battery...

Last edited:

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
It would take another 100 miles of range for me to even consider giving up the frunk. I love how roomy it is. I use the bed for bulky things like boxes and the frunk for tools.

I can go grocery shopping without unloading my tools. Love it.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
10 miles? No way man.

What the frunk kinda question us that to ask of a (almost) proud owner of a Lightning? :LOL:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X
If you had a vote for 10 more miles of range and loosing the frunk as we know it or keep the current range and leave the frunk alone, what would it be?
You are highly likely to lose 10 miles of range in degradation in the first year (then level off). Common in all today's EVs.

IMO, anyone wanting to road trip should get the largest battery vehicle as this is by far the most common regret (even if waiting longer to save up) or just drive a ICE on trips and drive the heck out of the EV locally.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
After pulling out the noisemaker I use it all the time. It's just so much more useful than other frunks:

-big as a corolla trunk, low load floor, good lighting
-open/close with buttons on key fob, app, or physical button on frunk itself
-power outlets

It's one of the best features on a vehicle that I can think of.
Coming from a Ridgeline with the in-bed trunk (where I store tools/etc...) it is amazing having the frunk. It is the primary reason for me buying the lightning. I have a 4 year pre-order for a Rivian R1T but I hate the frunk in it. Plus they started removing standard features like the outlets - SMH. With the lightning it's the perfect loading space without having to lift what you have to drop it into the R1T.

So, please leave the FRUNK alone.
Sponsored