• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Other alternatives:

Weld or bolt in a piece of scrap metal that drags on the ground when you drive

Put a generator in the bed and start it before you start driving anywhere

Keep you windows down and play the Immigrant song at max volume at all times!
A playing card on your spokes or a squeeze horn on the steering wheel? :)

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer

Skip to 0:25 seconds. I personally dont like it.
I was in the process of posting my own video from my cell phone, and as I'm waiting for YouTube to finish "processing" the HD and 4K versions... I look over and there I am!

I was wondering when Ford would send us the raw footage from the GoPros inside the trucks, but there it is. I guess the press already has access to it.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I don't even understand how in the hell that sound annoys you for the few seconds that you're in reverse. Besides the safety aspect of disabling that sound to alert around you, there's no real reason for you to disable it. You're only in reverse less than 5 seconds and it isn't really that loud.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Regarding the original question about acceleration sounds.

I never use it on my Mach-E, but I think some people need to hear something to remind them of just how fast they're going.

It's a good transition for people who need to know when they're hitting the pedal hard. For me, just the feeling in my gut is all the reminder I need to know how much I'm accelerating.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cag

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
Its only unsafe if youre going 30mph in the parking lot with your eyes closed. Otherwise turn on the HVAC if you want people to hear you coming...

Again, Ive had an electric car for years from the silent era before that law passed. No issues. Just go 10mph in parking lots like you have been your whole life and brake if you see somebody. Nobody is dying because they didnt hear some bullshit spaceship sound from a speaker.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I don't even understand how in the hell that sound annoys you for the few seconds that you're in reverse. Besides the safety aspect of disabling that sound to alert around you, there's no real reason for you to disable it. You're only in reverse less than 5 seconds and it isn't really that loud.
I think the reverse and outside sounds are important for the safety of people on the street. I often come up a street without people knowing I'm behind them, so I'm completely okay with the outside being on all the time. I can't hear it anyway, and from the outside, it sounds a bit like a spaceship.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Its only unsafe if youre going 30mph in the parking lot with your eyes closed. Otherwise turn on the HVAC if you want people to hear you coming...

Again, Ive had an electric car for years from the silent era before that law passed. No issues. Just go 10mph in parking lots like you have been your whole life and brake if you see somebody. Nobody is dying because they didnt hear some bullshit spaceship sound from a speaker.
I think the sounds turn off as you get faster anyway. To me, spacehip or some other sound helps prevent me from needing to hit the horn, while at the same time not loud enough to be considered noise polution.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I can hear the sounds in our Volvo when
I am in the car only when in our garage. We were out somewhere last week and heard a Nissan leaf backing up. WOW, that sounded like a toned down version the backup sound for a commercial truck. I looked over at my wife and said "nope, never going to own one of those". When moving there is a high pitch whine to all of these electric vehicles (hybrids as well). If people in cars could manage to not hit pedestrians and if the pedestrians could remain at least remotely aware of their suroundings then these external speakers would not be necessary.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Other alternatives:

Weld or bolt in a piece of scrap metal that drags on the ground when you drive

Put a generator in the bed and start it before you start driving anywhere

Keep you windows down and play the Immigrant song at max volume at all times!
Modified curb feelers? LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
cag

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
I should stop getting off topic by bringing up the external sound. The video is showcasing the internal sound.

Right? No way that humm is played externally at 40mph

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I should stop getting off topic by bringing up the external sound. The video is showcasing the internal sound.

Right? No way that humm is played externally at 40mph
Correct - that is internal only.

Reactions: cag

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
good thing I know the local tire guy, I think that's going to be my biggest expense after the vehicle itself. Did they tell everyone that drove it about the in-vehicle video?
can you tailor the internal sound to play a clip from spaceballs everytime you hit 80 mph?

Last edited:

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Doesn't bother me but will bother the crap out of my neighbors when I leave early ;)

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Doesn't bother me but will bother the crap out of my neighbors when I leave early ;)
This is why I disconnected my Niro speaker. Sounded like a dump truck backing out of the garage and the driveway. I often leave at 3:30 AM and it woke up my wife and the dogs went crazy every time. Hopefully I won’t need to with the Lightning as long as it is some volume control etc.
Sponsored