• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford needs a 7 passanger SUV EV STAT!

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Begin rant-

So every company that sat back to see how Ford does with Lightning is now jumping on the pickup truck bandwagon. I think they are late to the party because they are now just followers trying to catch up. Why aren't any of these companies trying to get ahead of the game and rushing out to release an affordable 7 passenger ev suv instead? You really only have Rivian right now to "compete" with in this category..and we all know about their problems.

All these companies are either pushing out compact suv or pickup EV's Stupid! Compact ICE and hybrid suvs already get good mpg. People will buy those instead of paying an EV premium. Families want 7 passenger suvs like the explorer. You've been stuck at 18/22 mpg on the explorer for eternity! And im sorry, i dont want a 4 banger in a full size suv.. If I were Ford, based on success of lightning pre-orders in 2021, I'd have announced an explorer ev for pre-order for fall 2022 and delivery for fall 2023 at starting price of say $45k to stay ahead of the game. Instead, per rumors, they are rushing to push out a Ranger EV instead? Stupid!

Ford, you beat everyone to the game with an awesome pickup. Slap a battery on an explorer or expedition ASAP Price it for way less than the Rivian. Price it for less than the $54k Mercedes 7 seater coming out this year. Do it now and you'll get another 200k preorders. Do it fast before you become the follower.

-End rant.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Begin rant-

So every company that sat back to see how Ford does with Lightning is now jumping on the pickup truck bandwagon. I think they are late to the party because they are now just followers trying to catch up. Why aren't any of these companies trying to get ahead of the game and rushing out to release an affordable 7 passenger ev suv instead? You really only have Rivian right now to "compete" with in this category..and we all know about their problems.

All these companies are either pushing out compact suv or pickup EV's Stupid! Compact ICE and hybrid suvs already get good mpg. People will buy those instead of paying an EV premium. Families want 7 passenger suvs like the explorer. You've been stuck at 18/22 mpg on the explorer for eternity! And im sorry, i dont want a 4 banger in a full size suv.. If I were Ford, based on success of lightning pre-orders in 2021, I'd have announced an explorer ev for pre-order for fall 2022 and delivery for fall 2023 at starting price of say $45k to stay ahead of the game. Instead, per rumors, they are rushing to push out a Ranger EV instead? Stupid!

Ford, you beat everyone to the game with an awesome pickup. Slap a battery on an explorer or expedition ASAP Price it for way less than the Rivian. Price it for less than the $54k Mercedes 7 seater coming out this year. Do it now and you'll get another 200k preorders. Do it fast before you become the follower.

-End rant.
FWIW Ford has had an Explorer EV in the works for the last few years. It was supposed to be released in 2023, but the pandemic/supply chain happened and ..well...you know.

Latest I heard is 2024 release for the Explorer EV. Both and Explorer EV and an Expedition EV would sell like hotcakes.

The Koreans are going to beat everyone with the ev9/hyundai ioniq 7 suv. However I heard the predicted range is around 250-260mi for the awd version. That's totally unreasonable for the American market where we love to take road trips. Add 7 people and their stuff and it will be lucky to get 200mi.

I do agree too much emphasis is being placed on an "EV specific" platform and I don't know why. If the Lightning has proved anything, the EV power source can be adapted to an ICE platform with great results. I don't know why OEMs are trying to push EVs with controversial designs that are more expensive on an EV specific platform. Keep it simple and cheap. Make the transition easier by adapting a proven and popular vehicle.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Volvo EX90 begins ordering fall 23, delivery mid 24.
I haven’t seen final pricing, but I expect it to be in the neighborhood of a Lightning Lariat.
I have a reservation.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Oakville Assembly, current home of the Edge, will shut down later this year for retooling. It will be set up for Explorer and Aviator EV, and possibly an Edge EV in the future. Should be on the market next year.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo EX90 begins ordering fall 23, delivery mid 24.
I haven’t seen final pricing, but I expect it to be in the neighborhood of a Lightning Lariat.
I have a reservation.
I have an EX90 reservation as well,
Volvo has said it will be "well equipped" under the $80k threhold.

Since it will be assembled in SC its got a shot at the $7500 and Volvo seems aware of this..

I was hoping the Explorer EV would be in the $60k'ish range

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an EX90 reservation as well,
Volvo has said it will be "well equipped" under the $80k threhold.

Since it will be assembled in SC its got a shot at the $7500 and Volvo seems aware of this..

I was hoping the Explorer EV would be in the $60k'ish range
I suspect large-battery variant EX90s will exceed $80K.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
EV Expedition!!

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I suspect large-battery variant EX90s will exceed $80K.
FWIW Volvo has repeatedly mentioned range of "300mi" and "$80k well equipped in the same sentence". I don't think at launch they are planning on various battery sizes. I guess we'll see...

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have a Lyriq reservation but never knew about the Volvo, looks like the Mach E interior

Sponsored

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Not sure as a lightning owner i'd be interested.

With young kids in tow we are making frequent stops as is. Last thing i need is a 40 minute pit stop to charge. SMH. For foreseeable future we are sticking with a gas powered family hauler.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FWIW Volvo has repeatedly mentioned range of "300mi" and "$80k well equipped in the same sentence". I don't think at launch they are planning on various battery sizes. I guess we'll see...
Kind of the Lightning announcement - $39K and 300 miles 😄

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
With the commercials I have been seeing on the aviator EV, they may be pushing that as a part of their family first. While I agree that there are SUVs out there (we are looking for an EV SUV as well), The large format SUV is still early. I think Ford is battery constrained with F-150 Lightnings and Mach E's taking off. It makes more sense for Ford to go bigger sooner with the high price points (aviator, Navigator, Expedition, Explorer) as they get more profit without the quantity of batteries. I think its the same reason you see Land Rover starting with the Full Range Rover and Defender. The BMW iX is looking better and better as well. I was surprised at how many options there are in SUVs. If your willing to wait 2 years, they should be considerably cheaper with all the battery plants finishing up. WIll be a buyers market at that point...

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kind of the Lightning announcement - $39K and 300 miles 😄
Not exactly the same. Ford was very careful to say "starting at $39k" and "targeting 300mi".

Honestly, anyone who thought they would get a pickup with 300mi range at $39k needs a reality check. I mean, the compact Chevy Bolt was selling for the mid $30s. Totally unrealistic expectation.

Also, it was eveident early on there was going to be a std range variant Lightning and an extended range Lightning.

Volvo has to at least keep it real with the Audi eTron and BMW ix in that market. (Also Rivian iX).

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I completely agree, I’d buy an Explorer EV in a heartbeat to replace my minivan. I drove the gas version as a loaner the other day and really liked the size of it.

I’m watching for EV9 updates closely as well. Definitely looking forward to going completely EV once these models start showing up.
Sponsored