• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer dropped Truck during Tire Rotation

asdad123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Had the dealer out today on a mobile service for a 30,000 mile service (aka tire rotation). Tech only used one jack in the middle of the frame between the two specified jacking points and it slipped off while jacking up and the truck fell down. Sounded like a bomb went off when it fell. The wheels were still on. They then proceeded to try to do it again on the other side and it fell again (I did not know anything about it until I asked about the loud sound at the end).

The dealer is picking it up tomorrow to do an inspection in the shop, but what should I keep an eye out for, especially due to the drop twice and the fact that it was jacked up from the middle instead of the designated jacking points Ford calls out for.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Damage to the battery pack skid plate??

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Whether the tech was fired.... Whether he jacked on the battery.

OP
OP

asdad123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From the marks under the truck, it looks like it was jacked on the frame, not the battery pack. However it was in the middle of the frame of the truck rather than The jacking points shown in the manual. I’m guessing they wanted to do two tires at once rather than one at a time to save time.

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
From the marks under the truck, it looks like it was jacked on the frame, not the battery pack. However it was in the middle of the frame of the truck rather than The jacking points shown in the manual. I’m guessing they wanted to do two tires at once rather than one at a time to save time.
Should have used jack stands, hard to rotate tires one at a time

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
The owners manual is quite clear that there are only four places on the frame where the truck can be lifted, and none of them are in the center. I would escalate this issue to Ford customer service immediately. You need to hold the dealer fully responsible for any damage to the truck, even if it only manifests itself years from now. And yeah, the tech needs to be fired.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Makes me glad I took mine to Discount Tire to have them rotated. Sorry you have to deal with this, what a nightmare.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Look in the manual for tire rotation. It tells you to rotate the back tires to the front, and the front tires CROSS to the back. There is no "rotate back to front and front to back". Therefore, you CANNOT do the tire rotation with one jack, unless you use the spare tire also.

F-150s have existed FOREVER. There has never been one jack point for the truck to lift the entire side. This tech needs to be FIRED.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes me glad I took mine to Discount Tire to have them rotated. Sorry you have to deal with this, what a nightmare.
Yup. Free rotate and balance. I don't have my Ford dealer do tires, they want to charge me.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
He didn’t hurt anything by lifting it from the center of the frame, but there could be damage to the body if it slammed into the raised jack.

The suspension and everything else should be fine as long as the wheels were on. You should be fine as long as the raised jack didn’t hit the truck as it came down.

ON edit: I worked at Firestone 20 years ago in high school, and we were thought to rotate back to front. Lots of people calling for the head of a guy who made a mistake. He may have been trained to do that, and we all make mistakes. There’s a human at the other end of all of this.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He didn’t hurt anything by lifting it from the center of the frame, but there could be damage to the body if it slammed into the raised jack.

The suspension and everything else should be fine as long as the wheels were on. You should be fine as long as the raised jack didn’t hit the truck as it came down.

ON edit: I worked at Firestone 20 years ago in high school, and we were thought to rotate back to front. Lots of people calling for the head of a guy who made a mistake. He may have been trained to do that, and we all make mistakes. There’s a human at the other end of all of this.
Were you trained to lift an F-150 in the middle, with one jack, no jack stands? Really?

And once it fell on side one, doing the exact same thing again on side two?

OP
OP

asdad123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can anyone recommend a shop in North Jersey to do an inspection? I got the truck back from them and I might be blowing it out of proportion, but they completed the inspection without taking the plastic cover off for the frame that the tech took off to use the jack. Looking under the truck, this clip looks like where the jack hit as the truck fell once it slipped off. Im sure it’s fine, but it is dented in so I would like to get it checked out by someone else just in case.

And to make matters worse, they rotated the tires wrong while the truck was up in the air!

Ford F-150 Lightning Dealer dropped Truck during Tire Rotation IMG_2183

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Some tires have rotating arrows and are not supposed to be but on the opposite side of the truck which makes them rotate against the arrow. Personally don't see the difference and reason for one way rotation. Someone know why?
Sponsored