• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rear motor death by exsanguination.

OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat, Mach-e GT
Very curious about the “decent size hole” thing. That doesn’t sound like a casting failure crack. I wouldn’t think a rock thrown up from road debris would have enough force to put a hole in a motor housing.

Oh yea I had to look up exsanguination! Thanks!
I’m certain it was an internal failure. Something broke while I was slowing using the regenerative braking. The force from the motor flying apart punched a hole in the housing.

Definitely not external debris because the motor is protected by a steel plate. If I can get photos, I’ll share them.
Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The next day, I had Ford roadside assistance tow it to a nearby dealer. The dealer said the rear motor was ‘blown” and there was a decent sized hole in it. (I’ve asked for photos. If I get them, I’ll share them.)

What shocked me is that the service advisor said this was the fourth one he has seen! If one dealer has seen this four times, how often does this happen?
It's been reported at least once before in this forum.

Ltron

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER , 24 Lyriq AWD Lux1
Occupation
Ret
Threw a rod?

Sponsored
OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Really curious to see the photos, case fracture because of casting weakness, parking pawl miss engagement, other......?
Added photos. It looks like something catastrophically failed in the differential.

Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER - 2014 Escalade Platinum
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Added photos. It looks like something catastrophically failed in the differential.
I'd bail on that vehicle & get a Ford repurchase & on to a new one if you like Lightnings - or even another MME - which seemed too small for our family.

OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd bail on that vehicle & get a Ford repurchase & on to a new one if you like Lightnings - or even another MME - which seemed too small for our family.
I actually already have a MME. My hope is that this was a fluke. If the truck has another major problem, it could change my mind though.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Update 5/20/24
Received photos of the hole in the housing. The dealership was expecting to receive the necessary part(s) today. Hoping this doesn’t go beyond six weeks.
Ford F-150 Lightning Rear motor death by exsanguination. img_3243-jpe

Ford F-150 Lightning Rear motor death by exsanguination. img_3244-jpe
Ouch, something come loose and punched the case out!

Are they sending a complete EDM?

OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ouch, something come loose and punched the case out!

Are they sending a complete EDM?
That was my understanding. But that was also nearly six weeks ago when I picked up the loaner vehicle. With the amount of damage and the tight tolerances, I don’t see how they could do it otherwise.

Sponsored

Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accredited Investor
I actually already have a MME. My hope is that this was a fluke. If the truck has another major problem, it could change my mind though.
Yes - to seeing your mention of an MME before - I'd put energy into getting a buyback v status quo.

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
That was my understanding. But that was also nearly six weeks ago when I picked up the loaner vehicle. With the amount of damage and the tight tolerances, I don’t see how they could do it otherwise.
Six weeks and still not fixed... Doesn't sound good for me then, mine has only been sitting in the shop for 10 days after suffering the same failure as yours. My dealer says they are having a hard time finding the parts to fix it. How the heck does Ford not have parts available to fix these trucks?

OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes - to seeing your mention of an MME before - I'd put energy into getting a buyback v status quo.
Could you elaborate on your reasoning for suggesting the buyback route? This seems like a very long process. Do you think the truck might be doomed to have other problems?

OP
OP
FrunkMonk-e

FrunkMonk-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Six weeks and still not fixed... Doesn't sound good for me then, mine has only been sitting in the shop for 10 days after suffering the same failure as yours. My dealer says they are having a hard time finding the parts to fix it. How the heck does Ford not have parts available to fix these trucks?
I think this is one of the pitfalls of owning a newer model EV. There aren’t enough parts to even make the vehicles in a timely manner (mine took seven months). When I first talked to the dealer service rep he said the first time he saw this it took three months. He then estimated ten days based on the other two cases he had seen. (I have the tow package - I don’t know if that adds more time).

Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Could you elaborate on your reasoning for suggesting the buyback route? This seems like a very long process. Do you think the truck might be doomed to have other problems?
45+ days or so for a repurchase & why take a chance v staying with cascading problems.
Sponsored